What is Firmware and How is it upgraded to my camera unit

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What is Firmware and How is it upgraded to my camera unit

Postby Matty B on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Derrrr.........I have read the precious few lines in the instruction manual re: firmware and Nikon seems tight lipped on letting a novice like me know too much. I read the posts and subsequent threads re: firmware and have gleaned that it's a type of software program by which our D 70 units operate and can be upgraded from mighty Nikon when they see fit for us to have minor errors corrected and performance enhancements for our units. But is this true and how does one 'upgrade' the firmware?

Help Please! I thirst for knowledge.......
ps. I have only A 1.00 and B 1.01
Shoot early - Shoot often
Matty B

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Matty B - go to the following link and all will be explained:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=EtU52afh&p_lva=&p_faqid=10468&p_created=1087914458&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xOSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj01NiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTIzJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

They even tell you how to install.

To answer your question simply - yes it is a means to upgrade functions within the camera via software.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

This helps!

Postby Matty B on Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:38 pm

Thanks Chris,
A quick browse of this link has me more enlightened already. How do you people find this stuff - you're amazingly quick! I'm glad I'm on your side!

Cheers
Shoot early - Shoot often
Matty B

Postby Raydar on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:19 am

Mate if something new, is bought out for the D70 “or anything Nikon for that mater”
This forum is strait on it.
If I remember right, I thing we were one of the first to have an image of the D2X??? :wink:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions