Auto opening of transfer/viewing software

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Auto opening of transfer/viewing software

Postby Manta on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Hi all.

Not sure if I'm missing something blindingly obvious here...

Is there a way of setting things up so that Nikon Capture opens automatically when I connect my D70 for transfer of RAW images?

At present, I connect, get the 'boo-doong' happy noises from the PC and then nothing happens. Before I installed NC4 and set my camera to USB "P", Picture Project used to open automatically. This doesn't happen anymore.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Simon.
Last edited by Manta on Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Onyx on Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:21 pm

In an open explorer folder, goto menu Tools, Folder Options. Hit the File Types tab. Scroll down to NEF, and hit the "restore" button. That should restore the defaults.
Onyx

Postby Manta on Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks Onyx - but I don't have the NEF file type listed there at all.

The file extensions listed there are: NAR, NCA, NCB, NCC, NCV, NDD, NDR, NFE, NIA, NID, NLV, NNR, NPI, NSR, NTC, NUM, NVC and NWB - all of which open with Nikon Capture Editor. I also have RAW listed, which is set to open with Photoshop.

Seems odd not to have NEF listed...

Thoughts?
Manta

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 am

Isn't there a setting in Preferences in NC that lets this happen?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MattC on Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:30 am

Gidday Simon,

If you are using Windows XP you can go to the "drive" in explorer, right click, select auto play, select your program, tick "Always do selected action" click OK. Unfortunately, this will only give the option of selecting "copy pictures using Nikon transfer". Anything else would probably require a registry hack. This will open Nikon transfer, click transfer, then Nikon View will open when the transfer is complete. I do not understand why you need to run Nikon Capture when you connect the camera. To the best of my knowledge, Nikon Capture does not have a transfer control other than the one in Capture Control.

Creating the NEF file type in Folder options is a relatively simple process. It should open with NEF launcher. BTW, I set this up using a PCMCIA card, not by connecting the camera. Someone said on this forum, "Why get a $2000 camera to do a $20 job", or something to that affect.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby W00DY on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:26 am

You might be referring to Nikon Browser (if you want to transfer images).

The first time I connected the camera it gave me the option to automatically open Transfer when the camera is connected, however this only happens 50% of the time. Sometimes it opens other times I need to open transfer manually.

Hmmm, not much help was I, lucky I am over 30 posts or I might have been spamming :lol:

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Manta on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:08 pm

Thanks, all, for the advice.
I suppose I was just used to 'something' happening when I connected the camera, even if was just Windows asking me what I wanted to do; e.g. open with Picture Project, open with Photoshop, do nothing, etc. Hence I was a bit perturbed when nothing happened after I installed NC4.
I had already added the NEF file type, as Matt mentioned, but thought "NEF Launcher" was just something that Windows XP made up to keep me off it's back. :wink:
Guess I'll just have to be more trusting in future...
Manta

Postby Greg B on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:30 pm

Woody, you're a shitstirrer.

Manta, trust no-one.

:lol:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby W00DY on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:47 pm

Greg B wrote:Woody, you're a shitstirrer.

I can be, yes... Depends what mood I'm in :twisted:

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:59 pm

Manta
I have the same problem. I use a card reader and it used to open Nikon Transfer automatically but stopped doing so for some reason. What I do now is open Nikon View/Tools/launch Nikon Transfer and get into it that way. I will try some of the advice above and see if that works later on.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Manta on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:11 pm

Of course this will all be fixed with the 1.03 firmware upgrade!! :lol: :lol:
(Manta deftly sidesteps rapidly exploding can of invertebrates)
Manta

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi,
What version of Nikon View installed in your System?
And how do installed Nikon View 6.22? Upgrade from Nikon View 6.2xxx?
I think this issue related to Nikon view, Not NC.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:38 pm

I'm at work at the moment Birdy, but I'll check what version I'm running when I get home to my PC.
Manta

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:20 pm

Mines ver 6.2.1 It used to open auto but then stopped. And without my permission! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:09 pm

Matt. K wrote:Mines ver 6.2.1 It used to open auto but then stopped. And without my permission! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Try this Matt.
Uninstall 6.21 completely and try the new Nikon View 6.2.3

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/ni ... MQ**&p_li=

regards
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks Birddog. What has been changed in the newer version?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:24 pm

Support for SP2

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:47 pm

phillipb
Thanks...Er...What's SP2?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Service Pack 2, the latest windows update from Microsoft.
You obviously haven't upgraded so it doesn't affect you. Good thing you haven't too, it causes more problems then it solves.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 pm

phillipb wrote:Service Pack 2, the latest windows update from Microsoft.
You obviously haven't upgraded so it doesn't affect you. Good thing you haven't too, it causes more problems then it solves.

All our PC systems are running with SP2, I have none of any problems so far, I'm feeling more happy than SP1.
All of my Systems (8PCs) are Intel P4/ 3.0 or 3.2GHz/ 1 or 2Gb RAM very decent VGA cards as ATI 9600 PRO or 9800 PRO with 256Mb.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:07 pm

May be it was just a coinsidense but after I installed SP2 I started getting the blue screen very frequently. I re-installed windows without SP2 and I haven't seen the blue screen since.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Mj on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Greg B wrote:Woody, you're a shitstirrer.

Manta, trust no-one.

Except me... you can trust me... solid as a wall of brick am I :lol:

Seriously though... I just use a CF reader to manually copy all the nef files on the CF across to whatever location I want on my hardrive.

All this automatic nonense through other progams is more trouble than its worth in my most humble opinion... a simple drag and drop via explorer does a perfectly fine job.

Michael.
Mj

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:31 pm

I'm still wondering, why do we need to connect the D70 to PC for download or transfer files? Pros & Cons?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby ru32day on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:48 pm

My opionon:

Pros: Doesn't cost anything - ie you don't have to buy a card reader. Can't forget to put the card back in the camera before you go out to shoot (before you ask, no I haven't, yet, but I've come close).

Cons: Uses up battery power, slower.

As I already had a flash card reader, I never transfer directly from the camera.

There are, however, some advantages to using third party transfer programs rather than explorer. For example, I have set Nikon whatever (sorry, on the laptop and too lazy to walk to the other room to check name of transfer program) to copy all the EXIF info into the comments field so it can be accessed by programs that can't access the camera maker information. It does this automatically when transferring files from the CF card.

I have another question to ask.

Do other people delete the files from the card at the time they do the transfer, or do they (like me) think the worsts will one day happen, so wait until they're not only on the hard drive, but burned to a CD before deleting them from the card? After the lens case question, Birddog, I'm starting to think I'm paranoid.
ru32day

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:57 pm

Do other people delete the files from the card at the time they do the transfer, or do they (like me) think the worsts will one day happen, so wait until they're not only on the hard drive, but burned to a CD before deleting them from the card?

I always duplicate all the transfered files and left the card intact, will format the card in the camera prior to next use.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:01 pm

I hear a lot that you should always format from the camera. Why is this better?
I usually move the photos to my hard disk and put the card back in the camera, have I been just lucky so far?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:08 pm

phillipb wrote:I hear a lot that you should always format from the camera. Why is this better?
I usually move the photos to my hard disk and put the card back in the camera, have I been just lucky so far?

I used to do that way long before, since I had one incident:

Shoot all day in one of 2Gb card (NEF), checked the LCD and histogram very often, OK,
Came home, plug into card reader, can't read or no files on the card, plug back into the camera, still no files, card emptied. Panic!!!! use recovery software, luckily got all back but it was nearly 1.1/2 hour recovery.
Since then I always formatted the card prior to shoot and never seen any problem again.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanks Birddog, as usual I learn a lot from your experiences.
Does formatting the card very often reduce its life span?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:22 pm

I have read this post with interest and have come to the conclusion that Mac rules :shock:

The main reason I use a card reader is that I feel that the USB connection to the camera is flimsy. On my D1 (which had firewire) the firewire board in the camera crapped out within weeks of purchase due to a short - hence a card reader for the D70

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby ru32day on Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:04 am

Another question, Birddog

I started by reformatting every time, but as the camera kept renaming all the files to start from one again, went back to deleting them on the camera (I never delete directly from the card while in the reader, due to reports of occasional card failures after this, although it never happened to me personally).

Anyway, is there any way you can stop the camera restarting from 1 every time you reformat?
ru32day

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:50 am

ru32day wrote:Anyway, is there any way you can stop the camera restarting from 1 every time you reformat?

Yes there is; it's a menu setting on the camera.

Go to the settings menu (spanner), second option is File No Seq. Set it to "ON" and your images will maintain their sequence numbering.

One aspect that's not yet been mentioned in discussing formatting vs deleting is that by deleting, you may end up fragmenting the storage on your card and actually reducing the potentially available storage. Formatting the card eliminates this possibility completely.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ru32day on Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:41 am

Thanks, Gary.

That's what I love about this group. On any other forum I'd just have been told to go and R-T-F(riendly)-M.

I truly did - maybe need to re-read a bit every night before bed. Should ensure some sleep, anyway.
ru32day

Postby Manta on Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:50 pm

I've got Nikon View 6.2.3 installed but I still can't get Nikon Transfer to open automatically when I connect the camera.
Manta

Postby MattC on Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:43 pm

Hello Manta,

Nkvmon.exe is supposed to take care of starting Nikon Transfer. There should be a shortcut in the startup group. Unfortunately I have never been able to get the thing to work either.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby Manta on Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:17 pm

mattco6974 wrote:Hello Manta,

Nkvmon.exe is supposed to take care of starting Nikon Transfer. There should be a shortcut in the startup group. Unfortunately I have never been able to get the thing to work either.

Cheers

Matt

Thx Matt. I''ve decided to give the whole thing a big miss for the time being. Life's too short and the more time I spend in front of my PC, the less I'm out taking photos. :wink: When I get over my frustration, I'll go looking for Nkvmon.exe and give it a whirl.

Simon.
Manta

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions