What is bokeh and how do I get some?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What is bokeh and how do I get some?

Postby ru32day on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:56 pm

I've seem some shots and discussions in this forum and elsewhere about bokeh - from what I can see it's bright fuzzy circles in you background - is this right? There have been discussions about which lenses bokeh best etc. What sort of setting do you use to get the effect? Would it be available with the standard D70 kit lenses (18-70 and whatever - 300) - or is it available only with better quality gear?

thanks for your help.
ru32day

Postby MCWB on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:05 pm

Boke(h) is a term that pertains to the appearance of the out-of-focus regions. Any time you have things that are not in focus you can discuss their bokeh. What makes good bokeh? It's personal (as most things artistic are). Generally harsh shapes = bad though. :)
MCWB

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:09 pm

ru32day
Boke, or bokeh as it is sometimes called is a Japenese term that refers to the beauty of the out of focus area of a photograph. Different lenses render this in different ways. It is most striking when, say a portrait of someone taken outside in the woods show the background slightly out of focus, but with a soft, creamy type of appearence that enhances the image overall. There is no way to measure this and it is subjective in nature and open to the personal opinion of the viewer. However...it is a very real aspect of many images. Some lenses are coveted for their ability to provide pleasing boke.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby christiand on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:12 pm

the Bokeh is about the blurry background you would like to have
when taking a photo of an object that needs all attention and the background doesn't.
This could be a portrait or a flower etc.
Depending on the aperture setting or F-stop setting you will get different
Bokehs.
Different lenses will give you a different bokeh.
Now the tricky bit is about choosing the lense that does the right bokeh at different focal lenghts and different distances.
I for myself found that the kit lens is quite capabale of giving a nice bokeh.
The 50mm 1.8 ist also ery nice for giving beatiful Bokeh.

HTH
regards
Christian
christiand

Postby Mj on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Ok... without getting too technical here bokeh actually refers rendering of the entire background by the lens. The preferred result is a nice soft blurry background with light points rounded and fuzzy. Pretty much all lens can produce a picture displaying these attributes given the right conditions but some are more pleasing than others.

Try taking a picture with your kit lens set to 70mm f/4.5, a subject fairly close and some background some metres behind... you should produce an in focus picture of your subject (or part thereof) and the background should be out of focus... and there you have some bokeh to admire and analysis!!! Good bokeh adds a pleasant tapestary to the pictures subject, bad bokeh creates distraction.

Michael.
Mj

Postby Mj on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:23 pm

oh... forgot to mention... my avatar is a good example of bad bokeh !!!
Mj

Postby ru32day on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:47 pm

Thanks to all for your help.

...and thanks MJ for the settings to try. Will give it a go tomorrow.
ru32day

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:38 am

Actually, bokeh can also refer to the foregound. The primary reference though is that it's the out of focus areas of the image, and that they don't distract from the primary subject of the image.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:55 pm

While it's arguable what constitutes "good" bokeh, I think it's universally recognised that mirror reflex lenses on the whole tend to produce rather "bad" bokeh - by nature of their optical design, they render objects not in focus as a distinctive and often distracting doughnut shape (instead of round).
Onyx

Postby MHD on Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:39 pm

How to get ood Boke:
Beg with the wife to get a second morgate just to cover some strange little hobby you have and keep telling her "some day I will make money out of it" and "some day I will put that camera down and get to what I said I would do"

;)

My fav lens (so far) for Boke, the 85mm f/1.4
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby kurokaze204 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:25 pm

So is this good Boke? I took it with my 70-300G about 3m from target who was about 4m in front of the hedge.

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10023&pos=0
kurokaze204

Postby Onyx on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Yes, and may I suggest fill flash needs to be stronger or present as there are some unflattering shadows across her face.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:15 pm

Can anyone tell me what difference between bokeh and sake? :lol:
I can have lot of warm sake then I can't get any bokeh, is this normal? :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Mj on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:26 pm

Simple answer Birddog... sake is the cause, bokeh the affect.
Contrary to your assertion... lots of warm sake will most likely provide ample bokeh background, foreground and midground !!!
Mj

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 pm

When I wake up of a morning (or afternoon) all I see for the first 10 minutes is bokeh :wink:

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:29 pm

Mj wrote:Simple answer Birddog... sake is the cause, bokeh the affect.
Contrary to your assertion... lots of warm sake will most likely provide ample bokeh background, foreground and midground !!!

I have to wait till June, order fresh sake from Japan and try again to see if I can get more bokeh out of it. :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions