Web preparation for dummies...

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Web preparation for dummies...

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:11 am

Hi all,
I guess I'll have to bit the bullet and put up some pictures so I can get into the whole site again! This stresses me out greatly as I never think that anything I take is good enough to even critique and I am worried about embarrassing myself! (I guess the other side is that everyone here is quite nice and it is the best way to learn) Anyway, I have done a search and can't get anything to help me resize and prepare my images for the web. I can resize but do I need to do other things to make sure they look OK? Can someone please either let me know the best way or point me in the right direction? My pics are mostly shot in RAW and I have PS CS and NC.
Thanks,
Marvin
:?
Marvin

Postby johndec on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:09 pm

OK, heres how I do it in PSCS:

Open your image, then click on file at the top left, scroll down to "save for web" and click on that. Another window opens up with your image in it (usually too big). Go across to the bottom right corner and click on "Image Size". Type in either the width or height you want (the other will resize automatically) then click apply. I usually try to resize to around 800 x 600 pixels.

Then go up to the compression quality checkbox and select a compression that gives you a comfortable file size, say less than 150k. The high or very high setting usually does the trick. You can see the new file sizes and approximate dialup download time underneath the photo.

Click save and your done :lol:
Last edited by johndec on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndec

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:16 pm

Thanks Johndec. Do you do anything else to your images - sharpen or anything or just put them up as is?
Marvin

Postby johndec on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:46 pm

Yeah, I muck around with them a bit, although I've found that if you try and do too much, you usually muck them up :shock:

At best you can only make a good photo better, you can't make a bad photo good. Well, maybe you can, but I'm still very much a PS novice.
johndec

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:01 pm

Hee hee. You haven't seen me make a good photo worse!! I am an expert! Thanks johndec.
Marvin

Postby MCWB on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:24 pm

My usual requirements for posting images on the web are roughly: 800 x 600 or thereabouts, and somewhere between 100-200 KB in size. I do everything I'd normally do in processing, which depends on the shot in question. I do most of this in NC. Then go into PSCS or your image editor of choice and resize/crop and compress (which you've already got the instructions for, so I won't repeat them :)).
MCWB

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks MCWB. Much appreciated. As soon as I get home I will have a go at posting some pictures.
Marvin

Postby Greg B on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:09 pm

Looking forward to seeing your shots Marvin, don't be apprehensive, its all fun. :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby mudder on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:08 pm

G'day Marvin,

Don't be apprehensive about putting images up, it's the best way to learn what to do to improve your skills and your eye... The people here are very friendly and only provide constructive tips and advice, this is the friendliest forum you'll find... You can learn heaps just by posting and asking questions... Gee, I'm still a learner but having fun along the way :-)

Dunno about Photoshop CS, but you can do it in Nikon Capture via the Tool pallette #1 "Size/Resolution" function... You can go both ways with your resolution in most software packages (as in up or down in res)...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby ajax on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:03 pm

Marvin,

No need to get stressed or embarrase. This is a great forum and all helpful people with healthy criticism which helps a lot. If you think you take worse phots, wait till you see mine and you'll consider youself a pro :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers,
ajax
ajax

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:19 pm

Thanks guys - feeling better already!
Just have to get home to my own computer and find some shots!
Marvin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions