how does a monopod work

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

how does a monopod work

Postby dciscool on Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:32 am

Im wondering about monopods
You hold the camera in your hand on the stick?
They dont keep your camera completely steady do they.
Id imagine - theres still sway side to side?
dciscool

Postby Greg B on Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:18 am

dciscool

A monopod provides more support for your camera than you might think. It removes all movement up and down, enables you to brace the camera quite effectively (particularly with a bit of practice), while providing a much greater degree of mobility than a tripod. If you are following action, you get considerable stability with very little loss of movement.

I don't use my monopod much with the d70 (they are really good with video camera to avoid that hand held shaky thing), but some peole use them quite a bit.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby birddog114 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:32 am

monopod helps you to control the shaking, perhaps with the big zoom lenses as 200VR/ 300VR/ 200-400VR and 3,4,600mm.
easy to operate than the three legs in somewhere space is restricted, your companion to travel light and is one of your self-defense weapon to some "naughty" guys on the road, instead of a cricket bat or a baseball bat.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Mj on Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:07 pm

I've just got myself a monopod... will come in very handy as I often head out without a tripod but will endeavour to always take my monopod. Quick to use and easy to setup in places you might struggle with a tripod... oh and important to mention very much cheaper than a decent tripod !!!
Mj

Postby mudder on Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:03 pm

G'day,
I have what appears to be a reasonably good monopod (Manfrotto) but find it awkward to move at all as I don't have any form of "head" on it, just the cam screwed to the top...

Dumb question time... Can you get some form of ball type of head to put ont eh top of a moniopod so you can pivot the camera around (vertically and horizontally) while keep the benefits of a monopod (as in a stable vertical platform)?

Thanks for any advice...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Mj on Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:16 pm

Simple answer is 'yes' you can fit a ball head onto a monopod and some are better for this than others due to size extra.

Personally I haven't a head for mine yet and may just get a quick release mechanism instead as this is the only reason I think a head is of value on a monopod... to help get it on and off quickly.

cheers,

Michael.
Mj

Postby birddog114 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:16 pm

mudder wrote:G'day,
I have what appears to be a reasonably good monopod (Manfrotto) but find it awkward to move at all as I don't have any form of "head" on it, just the cam screwed to the top...

Dumb question time... Can you get some form of ball type of head to put ont eh top of a moniopod so you can pivot the camera around (vertically and horizontally) while keep the benefits of a monopod (as in a stable vertical platform)?

Thanks for any advice...

Cheers,
Mudder

Yes, you can,

Please look at :

The AUB Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, expensive for your monopod but will work with tripod if you have one now or in the future.

http://acratech.net/miva/merchant.mv?Sc ... t_Code=ubh

Second look at the RRS:
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutoria ... index.html

Both of them require the lens foot with dove tail or the L bracket or camera plate with dove tail

The other alternative is use the Manfrotto 234RC Monopod head w/qck release.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby mudder on Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:26 pm

Thanks Birddog!

I've go have a sticky...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:23 pm

The only type of head you need for a monopod is one that lets you tilt the camera up or down. If you are photographing a plane in the sky, for instance...without a head you would have to tilt the monopod at a crazy angle and it is a bit awkward to do. To turn the camera left or right you simply rotate the monopod. So a cheap up and down tilting head is OK.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions