CCD Cleaning - News

Old stuff.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

CCD Cleaning - News

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:30 am

Stay tuned for an announcement concerning the (hopefully) reasonably priced local availabilityof stuff like Sensor Swabs and Pec Pads.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:24 am

Gary, thats nothing but good news for all of us and everyone with a DSLR. I am still gulping about $145 for cleaning materials for a $2k camera, it reminds me of the first time I saw a hardware store selling rags (if you could see my clothes you would know I don't need to pay for rags :) ). My other comparison is how much do you spend on car wash for a $30-100k car.

Thanks Gary, this is really, really useful and something everyone here will face sooner or later
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:28 am

Glen

Exactly.

If you review my earlier comments and suggested converted price for the swabs in the CCD Cleaning thread, we're looking at pretty well those numbers for the stuff that can be brought in by air.

$145 is simply outrageous, and to me it seems to be a blatant rip-off.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Here we go

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:06 pm

Thanx to Birddog for getting this together for us.

For two members here, because so far we've only been able to put together two sets of these ...

1 packet of 12 Sensor Swabs for the D70
    1 packet of Pec Pads
    1 Printing Digital Photos Pocket Guide.

Total cost will be $80 for a set of all three items.

These two sets will be available on Saturday at the meeting.

A couple of important points: these are not being made available on a commercial basis; they're purely at cost, and for the benefit of you, the members of this community. We only have two sets available at this time, because we've not yet been able to finalise a definite channel for bringing in the swabs and pec pads. We're working on that though ...

As to the cleaning fluid, for the moment it appears that, because of the nature of the fluid, we can't arrange for the direct import of it, and so we seem to have little alternative but to turn to NuLabs for supplies of this.

But I think you'll agree that the price of $80 all up for the swabs, pads, plus the photo guide is pretty good value.

Oh yes, this is the pocket guide that we have ....

http://www.photoreview.com.au/homepage/article11887.asp
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:25 pm

Thanks Gary & Birddog :wink:

Looking good atm, $80 is much better & affordable.

Thanks again for your time to work this out for the DSLR community that we have.
I'll put in an order for when you get some more please.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 pm

Hi All,

Just add on the above information.

**Pec*Pad size 4 " x 4" (100 wipes)
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:51 pm

Gary & Birddog, thank you for putting this together for us. I will take a set if there are no more pressing takers. I don't have a blob yet but sure I will soon enough. If someone has a problem please let them have it first.

Now do you guys prefer Amex or Diners?
Glen

Postby Raydar on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:59 pm

Gary you & Birddog should take the first two.
If you haven’t already got them :D

Any thought on this all.

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:36 pm

I have some spares, don't need them now, just for member of this community.
Glen,
Very sorry I am, this is non-profit task, so no credit card accepted in this offer.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:43 am

Birddog - and all concerned, what's your cost for the pec pads? I can currently get em for $US7.06 ($6.50 + tax) for a pack of 100 - should I bright back say half a dozen packs with me on the return journey?

The sensor swabs are much pricier at ~$US40 retail.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:21 am

Onyx,
Good thought,
We paid same that price (FOB) with US's Sellers.

Landing cost here in Australia after (Freight+ Handling charges + GST + Duty Import + Custom Agent Fees + Credit Card transaction fees) is around $90.00 for both Swab + Pec*Pad (4x4/ 100 wipes) with today rate:US$.69.

Work out: US$40.00 = AU$58.00 (FOB)/ US$7.06 = AU$10.23, total is roughly around AU$70.00, if you can bring them home in your luggage.
But by shipping and other above fees, charges. It should come up less than AU$90.00 for both.

The mostly needs is the Swab Pad, only 12 in a box, if your skill is not good then you can finish all of them in one go. The other Pec*Pad is 100 sheets in a pack, it can be lasted for year, again if you're skilled.

My experienced with the first clean on my D100:
-05 x Swab + 3 x Pec*Pad

What you can do is order from someone from difference States where you're staying, they ship to you and won't charge you the States Sales Tax. This method may help to bring the price down.

The offer that Gary put on yesterday, that I got from HKG, my friend brought them back for me few packs, just want to offer the member at the meet on this coming Saturday. Price of these stuff in HKG ain't cheap. We sourced directly with the local disti. of the manufacturer, same as with other retail shop in HKG.
Lastly, when are you coming home?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Pehpsi on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:44 am

pretty pricey stuff...
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com