Sites to buy accessories for Nikon?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Sites to buy accessories for Nikon?

Postby Yi-P on Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:20 am

Im currently looking into places where I can find relatively low prices (at reliable stores/sites) which sells Nikon lenses, and accessories (incl other brands for Nikon cameras) in AUS.

Anyone have some good and reliable stores/sites to recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Yi-P

Postby birddog114 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:06 am

Pls. have your profile updated with location, then members will help you to find something you wish in your area.
Last edited by birddog114 on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:42 am

What Birddog said.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:44 pm

Updated location.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:59 am

Vanbar in Camperdown and ECS in Drummoyne are probably amongst the best of a bad bunch.

Please feel free to use the forums and start contributing as a member of our community. Also, please review this post; there is nothing better than a minimeet, and being in Sydney, there are few excuses for non-attendance over time.

As you become more involved in the community, you'll become entitled to full member privileges. And prices, which often means that you'll be buying new gear for less than tyoical pre-owned prices.

Oh yes : Sydney's a big place - for full member access, we'll need something a tad more meaningful than that.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:15 pm

The minimeets looks cool, but Im afraid that I will have problems with somehow time or transportation. I dont have my own vehicle to drive and must be taking mostly trains around and I dont think I can make it to anywhere... :(

And yeah, is there any websites there that you guys usually use to purchase new equipments?
Yi-P

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:18 pm

Yi-P wrote:The minimeets looks cool, but Im afraid that I will have problems with somehow time or transportation. I dont have my own vehicle to drive and must be taking mostly trains around and I dont think I can make it to anywhere... :(

Few members on this board do not have cars but train, buses brought them to & from the mini meets safely.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:19 pm

With the money that you save from not owning and maintaining a car, you can afford to spend more :wink:
huynhie

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:05 pm

huynhie wrote:With the money that you save from not owning and maintaining a car, you can afford to spend more :wink:

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

There's always something else to spend on.

Yi-P,
Our resident train-comer WendellT takes trains to Birdy's quite often and if that doesn't whet your appetite, well, depending on what part of Sydney you're in, I'm sure someone can give you a lift.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Is there specific/exact location and direction to get there by train?

If I take-off by Ashfield station, how long would it take me getting there anyway?

Yeh, sorry for all these noobish questions, but im new in this community :oops:
Yi-P

Postby leek on Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:21 pm

Yi-P wrote:Is there specific/exact location and direction to get there by train?

If I take-off by Ashfield station, how long would it take me getting there anyway?

Yeh, sorry for all these noobish questions, but im new in this community :oops:

Birddog's place is in Belmore, so it would not take you very long from Ashfield... His house is about 300m from Belmore station...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby MCWB on Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Train to Redfern, then change for a train to Belmore, or train to Strathfield then bus to Belmore. 131500.com.au has a great trip planner. :)
MCWB

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 am

MCWB wrote:Train to Redfern, then change for a train to Belmore, or train to Strathfield then bus to Belmore. 131500.com.au has a great trip planner. :)

Yep.

Lindy tried to use it recently when she didn't have her car to get from Meadowbank to Castlecrag.

It suggested a journey that involved about 5 buses and 3 hours' duration.

Of course, a train to North Sydney and one bus would also have worked, in about 1/3 the time, and at less than half the cost.

From Ashfield to Belmore, a cab would probably be quickest, and not all that costly.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions... I will see if I can get up to the next minimeet... 8)

But getting back to the topic.... if Im after a SB-800, where do you think it will be best to buy it? I've searched around here and all ended up like $800-$900 AUD and it only cost $300USD online in B&H or Adorama sites and plus the shipping is still cheaper than buying one here... Suggestions?
Yi-P

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:13 pm

Yi-P wrote:But getting back to the topic.... if Im after a SB-800, where do you think it will be best to buy it? I've searched around here and all ended up like $800-$900 AUD and it only cost $300USD online in B&H or Adorama sites and plus the shipping is still cheaper than buying one here... Suggestions?

Have a read of http://www.d70users.net/viewtopic.php?t=4687

...or get your post count up, post an image or two and email d70gear@d70users.com

Don't even bother looking at Aussie retailers. They are way out of the ballpark !
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Yi-P on Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:46 pm

Aussie Dave,

Did you ever have to pay the custom import tax duties when you ordered from B&H?

I sent and email and asked them but they said that the shipping fees there is only for shipping and does not include tax at all.
Yi-P

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:32 pm

Yi-P wrote:Aussie Dave,

Did you ever have to pay the custom import tax duties when you ordered from B&H?

I sent and email and asked them but they said that the shipping fees there is only for shipping and does not include tax at all.

Import duties would have nothing to do with B&H, or any overseas supplier for that matter. It is an Australian matter. I have purchased from overseas, including B&H, and not paid gst on most items. It’s the luck of the draw :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby DaveB on Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:20 am

You'd never pay the Australian duties/taxes to an overseas entity - they're not under the jurisdiction of Australian Customs ("ACS" to some). So asking B&H isn't going to get you any useful info.

If your imported item (and yes, if you get someone to send something to you from outside Australia then you are classified as the importer of those goods) attracts a fee, ACS will extract that money from you. Customs agents (including UPS/Fedex) sometimes pay it for you and then bill you directly.

When importing goods you should calculate the duty/GST you may have to pay, and be prepared for that. The Customs website should give you enough information to calculate that. You'll notice that if the value of the goods is less than AU$1000 and coming via post it won't attract GST (I think camera gear is exempt from duties, so it's only the $1000 threshold to worry about) but if it's coming via other carrier such as UPS or Fedex the threshold is AU$250.
So for small items you shouldn't get charged, but many people have found that larger items have slipped through the cracks without GST also. But you need to regard that as a lucky break, and always be prepared to pay GST.
DaveB

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:58 am

I learned the maximum is AU$500.00 (Including shipping) is the maximum
which you may escape GST, and under AU$1000.00 will attract GST but not required Customs Entry Form + fees.
Other than that your luck is part of your life and your order from os.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby jberth1 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:38 am

It does seem that $500 is the limit for guaranteeing no import duties, and the best way to avoid duties above that amount is via postal services, instead of courier services. The postal service just doesn't seem to care about duties, whereas the courier services seem to think they must report it. :evil:

I've brought in items from B&H via USPS over AUD$500 and not had to pay duties. :wink:

Remember too that the postal charge itself is also added to the purchase total. Seems a little unfair, but that's the way it is.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:04 am

jberth1 wrote:It does seem that $500 is the limit for guaranteeing no import duties,

Please take heed - there is no way of guaranteeing that there will be no GST. None whatsoever! f customs wish to stop your shipment and impose GST, then you are stuck with it!

And there is no duty on photographic equipment.

Every time you make arrangements to import products directly, you should factor the cost of GST into your calculations.

Every time. To do otherwise would be foolish.

If you are not prepared to pay the GST, then do not import products directly.

If your shipment is not selected by Customs for further examination, then you may consider yourself fortunate.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby TonyH on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:09 am

You manner of importation is also important. If it arrives via Australia post you are pretty well ok. If it arrives by FEDEX you will be charged GST along with their extortionate handling fees, as they handle it all themselves.

Importation is great but there are some pit falls.

My suggestion is to allow the GST as part of your purchase price and if you are lucky enough not to be charged then that is your bonus.

Good Luck....
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Heath Bennett on Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:40 am

Nnnnsic wrote:
huynhie wrote:With the money that you save from not owning and maintaining a car, you can afford to spend more :wink:

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

There's always something else to spend on.

Yi-P,
Our resident train-comer WendellT takes trains to Birdy's quite often and if that doesn't whet your appetite, well, depending on what part of Sydney you're in, I'm sure someone can give you a lift.

Off the topic, but I wanted to mention that I think Lee's production name is very clever.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby LostDingo on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:50 am

TonyH and birddog are correct.....I have ordered many things from B&H over the past 5 years and there are some things you can count on:

If your order comes via FEDEX or UPS it's guranteed if the value is more than $300 and add shipping you will pay duties. FEDEX and UPS both are Customs agents so you are assured duties will be payable.

Very sad but when you pay duties you not only pay duty for the item but the cost of the shipping!

On the other hand, oddly enough I have had items shipped vis US mail (USPS) and only paid duties once! All to do with your local post office and would appear mine can't bother.

B&H cannot advise regarding the tax for you as it is the responsibilty of the customs agant.
LostDingo

Postby LostDingo on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:52 am

oh, one last note...

my post office advised me before "they' don't typically bother unless total value is above $1,000

FEDEX and UPS will charge duties for well less than that
LostDingo

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:55 am

LostDingo wrote:FEDEX and UPS will charge duties for well less than that

Er, no.

Neither will ever charge duty on photographic equipment.

Never, ever!

Please repeat after me: "There is NO import duty payable on photographic equipment"

GST however may, and often will, be payable.

And UPS are certainly the worst of the worst in this case, charging you before the goods have even landed here and regardless of the legal situation; FedEx will follow the letter of the law, whereas UPS makes up their own rules.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:45 pm

I had few orders under AU$300.00 and got caught by ACS, shipped by USPS Or EMS via Australia Post, on the other hand I had two shipments with the value of US$3k and the slipped thru the net!
I don't understand why but please take those as lessons.

The safe bet is: ship via USPS or EMS via AP under AU$500.00.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Yi-P on Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:21 am

How about orders around $1000AUD value?

Should i ship single items under $500AUD value or all of them together and not worry about it?
Yi-P

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:11 am

Yi-P wrote:How about orders around $1000AUD value?

Should i ship single items under $500AUD value or all of them together and not worry about it?

As said all above, all are from your luck, this game is unpredictable.
Normally, people would buy more to save shipping cost, but again the boys in blue won't always count it as your luck if it was spotted by.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:23 am

Yi-P wrote:How about orders around $1000AUD value?

Which part of "Every time you make arrangements to import products directly, you should factor the cost of GST into your calculations." are you having trouble comprehending?

I really don't understand your problem.

As Birddog says, ship them separately, and you'll pay more in shipping charges. Then, if Oz Customs decide to charge you GST, the extra shipping costs will increase the GST that you'll be paying too.

As I said before, if the payment of GST on direct imports is an important issue for you, do not do it!

So, it's really all very simple: accept the rules, and shut up about it!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Trader Opinions