Bad Ebay Trader...

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Bad Ebay Trader...

Postby waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:33 pm

I ordered a CF Card through this trader last week.

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZchunon123

He has in my opinion, very good feedback! But, look what I recieved in the post.

The outside packaging was in perfect order, but the packaging inside was completely trashed, which obviously didn't happen during shipping. All seals have been broken, even on the CF Card. This was not factory sealed and not 'Brand New' as described in the sale.
I emailed the trader straight away and sent him these pic's. He said customs must have opened it. Yeah, right so where's the customs sticker?
Also, he offered to swap it but I have to pay for shipping.
Which brings me to think that they do this sort of shonky business to make more money on shipping. Cost $15 to ship from HK but the stamps say $20.10HK. Who's making a cut here?
If I were to send it back, I'll be up for the return cost and the shipping cost!
Anyway, I'll be keeping the card because it still looks and functions fine but I'll be leaving bad feedback as it's totally unacceptable to send items in this sort of condition, and also to warn others ebayers.
So, lessoned learned. Don't deal with these guys!

Happy Ebaying!
Cheers, Jase. :evil:
waspo

Location: Bentleigh East, Melbourne - SuPeR NikoN D7o aBuSeR!

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:47 pm

End up you paid AU$140.00 but an used stock :cry:
If you're buying locally, you may get it cheaper with another reliable brand as our members have and use for many months now.

80x does not mean much with the D70/ D70s :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby PiroStitch on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:56 pm

Next time buy it from the Birdman :) Or I'll check when I get home, provided I have the time :(, the guy I bought my CF card from. Mind you shipping was delayed 'cos it was sent from NY :S
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:01 pm

Truth is, It doesn't look used. Can't see any wear marks from inserting into camera or reader comparing it to my other Lexar card. Just looks like they put their own trademark sticker directly on the card for warranty purposes, but I'm waiting for them to tell me this. :lol:
I've been emailing them back and forth to ammuse myself. Bottom line, don't send items in this condition! :x
I thought it was reasonably priced and have heard good things about this card from other D70users and through reviews compared to other cards.
Oh, it's been awhile since I read up about CF Cards, so I'm sure there's some better cards on the market now.
Birddog, can you recommend any other cards especially with speed in mind? Don't say Sandisk. :lol:
Last edited by waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waspo

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:03 pm

waspo wrote:Truth is, It doesn't look used. Can't see and wear marks from inserting into camera or reader comparing it to my other Lexar card. Just looks like they put their own trademark sticker directly on the card for warranty purposes, but I'm waiting for them to tell me this. :lol:
I've been emailing them back and forth to ammuse myself. Bottom line, don't send items in this condition! :x
I thought it was reasonably priced and have heard good things about this card from other D70users and through reviews compared to other cards.
Oh, it's been awhile since I read up about CF Cards, so I'm sure there's some better cards on the market now.
Birddog, can you recommend any other cards especially with speed in mind? Don't say Scandisk. :lol:

Astone/ Transcend are most common name which we are using on this board part from Sandisk or Lexar.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:04 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Next time buy it from the Birdman :) Or I'll check when I get home, provided I have the time :(, the guy I bought my CF card from. Mind you shipping was delayed 'cos it was sent from NY :S

Piro, thats where I got my first Lexar from. NY. It was delayed abit also but atleast it was factory sealed. Only reason why I went through this guy was because I couldn't find the link. :lol: Plus he had great feedback.
I'll have to go through you Birddog next time. :oops:
waspo

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:08 pm

waspo wrote:Birddog, can you recommend any other cards especially with speed in mind? Don't say Sandisk. :lol:

Talk about trashy service!

As to other cards, why are you concerned about speed? 40x is the maximum your D70 can make use of; anything faster, within the camera, is wasted.

While you will pick up some benefit in transferring files via a USB card reader, the speed differential there with a faster card is also going to be insignificant; who cares if a card takes 30 seconds vs 60 seconds to dump its data to the pc? What will you do in that extra time? Write a book, perhaps? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
waspo wrote:Truth is, It doesn't look used. Can't see and wear marks from inserting into camera or reader comparing it to my other Lexar card. Just looks like they put their own trademark sticker directly on the card for warranty purposes, but I'm waiting for them to tell me this. :lol:
Birddog, can you recommend any other cards especially with speed in mind? Don't say Scandisk. :lol:

Astone/ Transcend are most common name which we are using on this board part from Sandisk or Lexar.

I'll look into these cards in future.
Thanks Birddog! :D
waspo

Postby waspo on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:15 pm

gstark wrote:
waspo wrote:Birddog, can you recommend any other cards especially with speed in mind? Don't say Sandisk. :lol:

Talk about trashy service!

As to other cards, why are you concerned about speed? 40x is the maximum your D70 can make use of; anything faster, within the camera, is wasted.

While you will pick up some benefit in transferring files via a USB card reader, the speed differential there with a faster card is also going to be insignificant; who cares if a card takes 30 seconds vs 60 seconds to dump its data to the pc? What will you do in that extra time? Write a book, perhaps? :)

Thanks for clearing this up, Gary. At the time (last year) when speed was the rave, Lexar was on top. I just bought one for that reason not knowing about the D70's actual speed capabilities. Hence, I bought another of the same because until you told me now, I didn't know any better. Now I do. :lol:
40x? gee, that's slow aye? :lol: :lol:
waspo

Return to Trader Opinions