Dirt Cheap Cameras

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Dirt Cheap Cameras

Postby baboo on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Dunno if anyone else has bought anything off them but I've just purchased a lowepro magnum AW bag.

Ordered it Sunday night, processed on Monday, dispatched Wednesday and received it today (Friday).

Overall, I was surprised that I actually got it before the week was out.

They were also prompt answering my confirmation email on Monday.
Plus they free insured postage for items over $200.

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/store/index.asp

Cheers,
Ray
baboo

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:55 pm

They've been around a while and, while they tout "dirt cheap cameras," they're more often then not that cheap.

But they do seem fairly reliable.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Paul on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:But they do seem fairly reliable.

Yes agreed, t'was where I bought my D70 many moons ago which then brought me to these forums, alls well that ends well. :D
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Holden on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:50 am

I also purchased a Lowepro bag off them and had the same experience as you baboo , prompt replies and delivery :D
Holden

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:30 am

When they first appeared they were indeed, Dirt Cheap Cameras - as time has gone by they have prices that do not represent their moniker 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Andoru on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:22 pm

Indeed. I've purchased quite a few items from them before and they're reliable. Prices were cheaper. Though there is no shop front, the sister shop is located in Chatswood and that's where I picked up an item before. They still charged me delivery fees though. :evil:
Andoru

Reliable

Postby surenj on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:15 pm

I got a 17-85 mm 4-5.6 Canon lens from these guys and they are pretty reliable and goods arrived within a week. Not sure whether it was DIRT cheap but was the cheapest I could get at the time...
surenj

Postby petermmc on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:34 am

I just checked out their prices. Looks like recommended retails on everything. In a number of cases almost twice the price of grey and 15-25% more expensive than even Euro Cameras. Convenience comes at quite a price tag. They still have the 18-70 bog standard Nikon lens as 'New.'
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Sheila Smart on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:44 am

sirhc55 wrote:When they first appeared they were indeed, Dirt Cheap Cameras - as time has gone by they have prices that do not represent their moniker 8)

I agree with Chris. At one time, you could get a good deal at Dirt Cheap but those days are long gone. A couple of years back I ordered a Canon 20D (when they were like hens teeth) and was advised that I would be at the top of the waitlist which was about two weeks. Three weeks later, I was told that the cameras had arrived but they did not have enough so I would be at the top of yet another waitlist. I told them to forget it and it took a couple of reminders for me to get my deposit back. For lenses, you cannot go past Digital Rev Oz which ships from Hong Kong in three days and no hassles with Customs.
Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D and various Ls
Black and White Spider Award 2005 - Photographer of the Year - amateur
On-line Gallery here
Sheila Smart

Postby amarkin on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:44 am

Sheila Smart wrote:

I will second Digital Rev Oz too. I have bought two compact cameras from this dealer which arrived on time and no hassle. Also, they offer local contacts in Australia in case you need to claim warranty.
amarkin

Return to Trader Opinions