B&H Photo Supplies USA

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

B&H Photo Supplies USA

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:33 pm

Hi ya all

Has anyone had dealings with B&H in New York, and if so, are they OK?

Cheers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi Chris
I bought my 50mm 1.8 lens from them. I bought the grey market model since it didn't make any difference to the warranty. Initially I had a bit of a problem because they have a tracking system that tells you at what point the transaction is, and after a couple of weeks being stuck on "processing" I enquired about it and it turned out that they needed a faxed copy of my credit card (even though they had already charged it and the money gone out to them) but nobody had bothered to tell me.
Once I faxed them I received the lens fairly promptly. Their postal method is a bit of a worry though, I found the box behind my front door, apparently there was no need to sign for it and there was nobody home at the time. Price was good, I think from memory it cost me around AUS$150
phillipb

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:33 pm

phillipb wrote:Hi Chris
I bought my 50mm 1.8 lens from them. I bought the grey market model since it didn't make any difference to the warranty. Initially I had a bit of a problem because they have a tracking system that tells you at what point the transaction is, and after a couple of weeks being stuck on "processing" I enquired about it and it turned out that they needed a faxed copy of my credit card (even though they had already charged it and the money gone out to them) but nobody had bothered to tell me.
Once I faxed them I received the lens fairly promptly. Their postal method is a bit of a worry though, I found the box behind my front door, apparently there was no need to sign for it and there was nobody home at the time. Price was good, I think from memory it cost me around AUS$150

Thanks for the info - I am about to order a Stroboflip and just needed some reassurance. I often buy from Hong Kong and don’t have second thoughts

Cheers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:15 pm

Hi,
That's the rule of B&H or Adorama, no surprise me at all.
If you're first time order, you need to fax them a copy of statement of your CC. They charged your CC but won't ship the order until they can see all the details, that their security to protect both ways.

They have very good rating on many sites in the US same as very high respectation and reputation from many pro-photogs/ photogs of our Down Under.
I frequently bought from them and they FeDex to me with signature on receipt. I did not know what method of shipping you chose, if by USPS Airmail then there's the case, AP's contractor will leave it at your front door even you're present at home or not, otherwise you have to collect it at your local AP and sign for it before they release, if you chose to be shipped by FeDex or UPS then you'll have truck from FeDex or UPS deliver and they always ask you to sign on their little handheld device before they hand the parcel to you. If you're not at home then they leave their courtesy card with their tel number for you to call.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:17 pm

Chris,

What's a stroboflip?

Is it anything like the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer ?

http://www.lumiquest.com/lq871.htm

If so, these are available through Vanbar.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:48 pm

gstark wrote:Chris,

What's a stroboflip?

Is it anything like the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer ?

http://www.lumiquest.com/lq871.htm

If so, these are available through Vanbar.

A Stroboflip is a great way to use the SB800 and be able to rotate the flash for vertical format shots. I checked out Vanbar but they only have the medium format styles. I also checked the Tiffen importer and they are not being imported into Australia and they suggested buying online.

Check out http://www.tiffen.com/Stroboframe_quickflip_page.htm

Regards

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:08 pm

Chris,

Thanx.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:16 pm

Full name (I'm being pedantic): B&H Photo Video Pro Audio.

Yes, they're in the Pro Audio business as well!!
Onyx

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:01 pm

Thanks phillipb about the confirmation of purchase advice.

Ordered Stroboflip from B&H Thursday sent them confirmation of my credit card and they posted Air express on Friday morning - wow

At the same time I ordered the Manfrotto macro flash bracket from Henrys in Ontario Canada and that is on its way too.

Saved around $40 on the Manfrotto and the Stroboflip is not even available in Aus

One happy bunny and can’t wait to try them both out with the SB800 and SC-29
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby xerubus on Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:52 pm

I have used B&H a few times now and have always had good service and the time to get to Brisbane has been good.

I always use UPS. The gear hits Sydney, I pay any money due, and they then ask if i want it sent to work or home. Never had a problem.

The only tip I have is to buy a couple of things, just to make the delivery costs worth it... i.e. don't bother just buying an omni bounce etc, as the delivery cost takes away from the price benefits.

Also, the latest changes to customs has meant that lenses are duty free... which is always nice...

cheers
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:37 pm

In the old days duty was chargeable on any items entering the country that had a similar or same manufacturing plant in the country.

Which raises the question - why pay duty at all on lenses, cameras etc as there is no industry in Australia (that I know of) to protect!
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:55 pm

Its not duty... Duty has not ben paybale for along time...

Its GST you get slugged for
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:15 pm

MHD wrote:Its not duty... Duty has not ben paybale for along time...

Its GST you get slugged for

No, apart from GST you have to pay duty import as I ordered some photo vests from o/s and they listed as clothing. Lens and other photographics equipments do not have duty applied to.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:22 pm

sorry I meant to say for photog equip...
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:56 pm

MHD wrote:sorry I meant to say for photog equip...

Even no GST applied to photography equipment too if your seller agreed to marked on the AWB or on the declaration form that the content is " Warranty Replacement" or " SAMPLE" or " Product for evaluation with 30 days return".
Then you'll walk free and :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:09 pm

Hi ya all

Received the Stroboflip from B&H this morning at 7.30am - ordered last Thursday at midday. Posted by B&H on Friday.

What can I say but phenomenal service New York to Sydney in 4 days including a weekend.

No gst and had to sign for it so no leaving on the doorstep.

Highly recommended

Cheers

Chris

Now to play with the new toy
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:16 pm

Congrats, It's the way to go! new toy and happy face.
Please show it off to the forum :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:44 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Congrats, It's the way to go! new toy and happy face.
Please show it off to the forum :lol:

Thanks Birddog a man after my own - I just love toys

I have posted 3 photos at the following address if anyone would like to have a look:

http://chris2789.fotopic.net/c323001.html

Cheers
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:00 pm

It will be very nice setup with that Stroboflip, very interesting, and nice photos to come isn't it?

If you don't mind, please tell the forum what's the total cost to land it at your door? I'll see how's the Portrait package B-87 from RRS works, got it but no time to set up and play around with it, perhaps this Saturday at the meet, otherwise I'll order the same kit as yours (put a B&H's part number as well). Thanks
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:37 pm

Hi Birddog

The actual cost on the unit was $68.95US plus with postage (I went for air express) it came to $105.20US (B&H # STVH2000).

The other unit I was interested in was the Newton but the price would have been around $200US.

Just one small point re the Stroboflip. The flash attachment is a standard flash shoe. Tiffen do not recommend the use of the SC-29 (as shown in the photos). What I have done is remove the show and with the use of rubber and a big washer I have attached the SC-29 lock solid. I have a wedding in a weeks time so I had to get it going hence the air express postage.

Cheers

Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:07 pm

sirhc55,
Thanks for the info,
Convert to AU$147.50 is a good price, Like the ideas very much.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Flyer on Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:04 pm

Just got my 50mm f1.8 lens & other bits from B&H.
Ordered them on 1st nov & arrived today. Sent via Airmail Parcel Post.
I emailed them pics of my credit card stright away (thanks phillipb :D )
Very happy with their service & speed of delivery. Great prices too!
Flyer

Postby xerubus on Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:06 pm

I ordered my 50 f1.8 7 days ago, as well as the lens hood and a double coated hoya uv filter.

They all arrived today, and total cost was $175.

Once again I have been very impressed with BH's service. This is the third time I have used them, and each time I have been pleasantly surprised with their quality of service.

I would recommend them to anyone and will continue to use their service.

Cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby tsanglabs on Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:18 pm

phillipb wrote:I enquired about it and it turned out that they needed a faxed copy of my credit card (even though they had already charged it and the money gone out to them) but nobody had bothered to tell me.

This is why I read all the information on websites when buying online, esp o/s.

I have dealth with them a few time very good service and bullet-proof packaging.
tsanglabs

Postby jdear on Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:39 pm

forgive my naviety but what is the advantage of a flash bracket such as this?

B&H get my seal of approval, used them a few times. same with henrys.com - bought a 50mm lens for my old minolta over ebay, was in minty condition. :)

JD
jdear

B&H quality of service

Postby paull on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:16 pm

Just adding to tsanglabs, I was in NY a number of years ago but was worried about the reputation of the vendors. Checked things out (relying particularly on photo.net ... heard good things about B&H and went to visit them. They look like a solid and very professional outfit (with a serious purpose built outlet complete with conveyor belts to move stock from their stockroom to the front sales office) compared with some of the other vendors I had seen in NY. You should feel quite confortable with them.

The only note of caution I would add is that in ordering over the web from B&H 2 years ago, my order was lost and it did take some time in getting the insurance sorted out (B&H professional in the claims process). MAke sure you consider the insurance option (if optional) esp if you elect the AIR PARCEL POST method of delivery.
paull

Postby Paul on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:56 am

I ordered 2 items on the 2nd of Dec for delivery to my parents home in Edinburgh to tie with my planned arrival on the 16th, come the 9th of Jan when I leave for Sydney guess what? no goodies for me..
Now I'm back in Sydney and have just recieved a phone call that the parcel has just arrived on the 12th!
Needless to say I was cheesed off with them so I canceled the transaction through my visa protection as I was not willing to pay another shipping fee to Aus.
I sent noumerous e-mails asking for an delivery update and recieved zero feedback.
B&H photo-video -5 out of 10!
Paul

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:18 am

Paul

I would not be too hard on them. I am still waiting on something I ordered and paid for in early November!!

December is the worst time for ordering and deliveries due to the seasonal madness.

Even products coming in from HK were delayed over christmas - that’s why I had to wait for my lens. BTW you did not say what you ordered that took so long to arrive!

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Paul on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:34 am

Hi Chris,
I ordered a sb-800 and a 70-300 lens, which I will now be purchasing hopefully through birddog shortly.
Alhough after the mini meet I may change my mind on the lens selection.
So much choice and so little money!
Paul
Paul

Postby petal666 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:22 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Paul

I would not be too hard on them. I am still waiting on something I ordered and paid for in early November!!

December is the worst time for ordering and deliveries due to the seasonal madness.

I bought a 2nd hand lens from a guy in the US on the 15th Dec and it was here on the 21st shipped by normal everyday air mail. If it is taking a month to get shipped anywhere in the world then something isn't right.
Canon 1D III
petal666

B & H

Postby David on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:55 pm

This is my first post after lurking for a while. So here's my bit.
I ordered a camera thru B & H about 14 months ago. As I didn't know how to have it posted I did the cheapest - Parcel post.
And I waited and waited.
6 Weeks (':cry:') later a package arrived at the local Post Office full of foam and no camera.
The camera was stolen on route before Aust.
Australian post took all the details and said it was an isnurance matter. I was unsure because I didn't remember paying any insurance. That avenue ended up being fruitless.
I emailed B&H and they sent a notification claim or somesuch. I posted and didn't hear nothing for 6 weeks when the Post Office called with my shiny new (black) camera. No advice or anything - Oh and I had to pay customs $80.00.
But I love it, and then the D70 came in september and I love that.
David(':o')
David

Postby MHD on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi Dave!

Welcome!

Bugger of a story.... I am always a little scared when doing the whole international thing...
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby atencati on Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:22 pm

Dave, sorry to hear of your troubles. I shipped a laptop insured with UPS and when it showed up stripped of the screen, they still did nothing. They offered to return it to me and refundmy shipping cost!!!! How nice. B+H is a really good company, I have never had trouble getting stuff here in the states. Glad you finally got your gear though! Enjoy the D70!

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Return to Trader Opinions