DigitalRev experiences?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

DigitalRev experiences?

Postby tommyg on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi we're looking at getting the D7000, and the cheapest place around appears to be DigitalRev, but being a Hong Kong based company, thought I might ask people their opinions before purchasing.

Alternatively, any suggestions elsewhere for getting the D7000

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Re: DigitalRev experiences?

Postby digitor on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 am

I bought a lens from them, way back in 2004, no dramas. More recently, (last year) I've been to their physical store, and it looks like a kosher operation. Didn't buy anything then though!

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:59 am

I have purchased from them with no problems.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby biggerry on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:48 pm

I have purchased a number of items from them over the years and have had no problems.

I personally would look elsewhere for the D7000, I find digitalrev and their almost, viral presence in australian forums is getting a bit over bearing and they are not as cheap as they were years ago. I am surprised they have not signed up here.. :rotfl2:

I am also lookign at the D7000 and have a number of avenues.

DDP in Sydney have them in stock and $1649 from memory - you need to call for price?! http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/
Nikon Broadway also has them in stock at $1639 http://www.nikononbroadway.com.au/

both these are a short drive for me so good options, however if your outta sydney could be a pain.

B&H have it for US1199 - no stock but surely cant be far away
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/735002-REG/Nikon_25468_D7000_DSLR_Camera_Body_.html

and Adorama for the same, no stock.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD7000.html
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby JED on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:34 pm

I got my D7000 from them and was very satisfied with the service.

Refer to my post here http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=40175

Cheers, John D
JED

Nikon D600, D7000, D90, 70-300 D, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm macro f2.8, 18-70 kit lens, 35mm f1.8 dx,
sigma 10-20 dx, SB600, SB80dx, Metz 45ct4, & other stuff.

Why are there no cheap hobbies?
JED

Postby surenj on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 pm

biggerry wrote:I am surprised they have not signed up here..

How do you know they haven't? :shock: :wink: :rotfl2:
surenj

Postby Pa on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 am

If they were here they would be promoting themselves...I saw them on another site...
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby aim54x on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:59 pm

surenj wrote:
biggerry wrote:I am surprised they have not signed up here..

How do you know they haven't? :shock: :wink: :rotfl2:

Its not unlikely, but I like to believe that digitalRev have more scruples than to do what some shady characters have tried to.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby DSLRfans on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

biggerry wrote:I have purchased a number of items from them over the years and have had no problems.

I personally would look elsewhere for the D7000, I find digitalrev and their almost, viral presence in australian forums is getting a bit over bearing and they are not as cheap as they were years ago. I am surprised they have not signed up here.. :rotfl2:

I think they are sponsoring those forums and resolving problems for their members. It's good to have more channels.... 8)
DSLRfans

Postby biggerry on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:11 pm

aim54x wrote:digitalRev have more scruples than to do what some shady characters have tried to.

cam, you been on the drink again? I have read that 4 times and I am confused :rotfl2:

DSLRfans wrote:I think they are sponsoring those forums and resolving problems for their members. It's good to have more channels....

uh huh...sponsoring is a interesting choice of term, advertising would be more correct. So unless i jump up and down on a forum where they are present then my problems with Digitalrev may not be resolved? :wink: :wink:

JED wrote:I got my D7000 from them and was very satisfied with the service.

excellent! as mentioned, I have bought from them in the past and have been happy with their service, unfortunately now, for me, there are options closer to home with the same pricing, if not better.
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:14 pm

DSLRfans wrote:I think they are sponsoring those forums and resolving problems for their members. It's good to have more channels....

also, its very interestign timing that your first two posts are both to threads with digitalrev in them.....ftw
biggerry

Postby Raskill on Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:55 pm

Be aware, a member (who isnt frequenting here now) bought a D3s from them.

They valued it at just under $1000 to avoid GST on their paperwork and customs dec.

However customs caught them out.

Problem is that the member had already paid the GST component to them to expedite the importation. This payment was meant to go to the freight company, however, given they valued it at like $993, they didnt feel the need to send the money to the freight company, and kept it themselves.

DigitalRev described it as 'an administrative error....'

Sounds pretty shonky to me.

That being said, I have bought an SB800 and an SB600 from them without any problems.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby gstark on Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 am

Raskill wrote:Problem is that the member had already paid the GST component to them to expedite the importation.

Be wary of any grey importer wanting to do this sort of thing.

The only people authorised to charge you GST upon importation are the government authorities; your shipper may do so on their behalf, but that will not happen unless and until the goods are in their possession and the paperwork is in the hands of Customs.

Customs makes the decision to charge this, and while it's always a possibility on any grey import, it's also always a decision that only Customs may make. And any grey reseller trying to impose such a charge on you for goods not yet imported is just ripping you off.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm

D-D electronics also seem to charge extra fees for items above $1000. I have never bought anything above the threshold but would be suspicious of this sort of behaviour. I'd rather an Australian MP got his tax free pension from my GST rather than someone in Singapore or Hongkong. :wink: :roll:

biggerry wrote:also, its very interestign timing that your first two posts are both to threads with digitalrev in them.....ftw

:rotfl2: There has been alot of spam lately.
surenj

Return to Trader Opinions