Renting lenses - any pointers?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Renting lenses - any pointers?

Postby DaveB on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:40 pm

I've been looking into the options for people to rent lenses short-term. The sort of application I'm thinking of is participants in my wildlife photography workshops wanting to rent a telephoto lens to take on the workshop.

So far I've found:
  • Sun Studios (in Melb & Syd, with some Canon and Nikon lenses),
  • Rent a Lens (who operate by post from Queensland, with Canon lenses), and
  • CameraHire.com.au (who again operate by post, this time from Sydney).
I'm familiar with Sun Studios and am happy to recommend them, but the other two seem to be one-man shows and I can't find much info about them?

Does anyone here have useful knowledge I can pass on to workshop participants?
Should any of these be avoided? Do you know of any other lens rental suppliers in Australia?

Thanks!
DaveB

Re: Renting lenses - any pointers?

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Dave,

Don't Vanbar and Kayell also rent glass?

Vanbar would be batter suited for Melbourne and Sydney people - and quite possibly Nikon only - while Kayell are Sydney and Brisbane based ...
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DaveB on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Doh!

Ok, Kayell have 70-200 and 300/2.8 Canon and Nikon lenses, and they do have a Melbourne store (I should have thought of them, they're distributor for some of the products I sell in my store!).

Vanbar are a bit stupid in that their rental product list PDF doesn't include the Nikon cameras/lenses that are referred to on their web page. :roll: But they're reputable enough that I can refer people to them without having to dig up all the details myself.

Thanks for that.
DaveB

Postby DanW on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi

I've rented some lenses and speedlights from Borge's Imaging in Port Melbourne http://www.borge.com.au/. The folks are helpful and rentals are at quite good rates.

Long telephoto might be a bit of an issue though. I know then rent both the Canon and Nikon 70-200 but there's nothing bigger listed on their website. Could be worth checking out.
Dan
Nikon D700 and a whole lot o' lenses
DanW

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Dave,

DaveB wrote:Doh!

You're welcome.

:biglaugh:
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jdear on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm

sorry to dredge up an old topic, but Ive hired from Christian at http://lensrental.com.au/ before (pickup for kellyville)
and he has pretty much every L series lense.

Ive hired the 45mm TSE, 24-70/2.8L, 50/.1.2L from him previously.

Wish he had the 200/2L :)
jdear

Postby DaveB on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:03 am

jdear wrote:sorry to dredge up an old topic, but Ive hired from Christian at http://lensrental.com.au/ before (pickup for kellyville)

The topic's not that old, and it's useful info.

Thanks!
DaveB

Return to Trader Opinions