Kayell Australia and Digital Camera Warehouse

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Kayell Australia and Digital Camera Warehouse

Postby Alex on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am

I just ordered an Elinchrom D-Lite 4 studio lighting kit from Digital Camera Warehouse. Their customer service was quick, responsive and flexible. I am still to receive my order so I will let you know how it all goes.

Prior to finding them, I contacted Kayell Australia who turned out to be more expensive for the same product. This was not a major turn off for me. However, the sales person on the phone was quite abrupt and not flexible. They had an offer to include a spot grid with the kit. The offer expired on June 30th. However, I decided to ask if they could still include it. The sales person simply replied "NO" and would not even negotiate or show some flexibility to attract a customer. He simply was not interested in my business. Luckily they are not the exclusive distributor for Elinchrom in Australia. By contrast, Digital Camera Warehouse did include the spot grid in the kit as a bonus.

I just can't tolerate the arrogance of many Australian distributors simply because there is a lack of competition.

Looking forward to trying out my new lights.

Alex
Alex

Re: Kayell Australia and Digital Camera Warehouse

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:34 am

Interesting but not surprising.

I have found DCW very easy to deal with on the handful of interactions I have had with them.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 pm

I have purchased in the past from Kayell on a personal basis at their Sydney showroom and got to know all of there staff, in particular Rob Gatto. They were very professional and pleasant.

I can understand though that one can come across an abrupt salesperson but have always found that it is due to them having a change of life experience or they are too junior to make decisions :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Alex on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:40 pm

sirhc55 wrote:I have purchased in the past from Kayell on a personal basis at their Sydney showroom and got to know all of there staff, in particular Rob Gatto. They were very professional and pleasant.

I can understand though that one can come across an abrupt salesperson but have always found that it is due to them having a change of life experience or they are too junior to make decisions :wink:

Thank you for your comment, Chris.

I got in touch with their Melbourne store. Hopefully their Sydney staff is a bit better.

Cheers
Alex
Alex

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm

I too haven't had a great experience with Kayell.

I ordered paper from them quite recently and despite the shipping being somewhat expensive, it wasn't what I would call quick in the slightest. Further, while they didn't have stock of one of the items, they chose not to tell me about it until the box came and the receipt said "backordered". I'm now sitting here waiting for an item I've paid for to come in which I will presumably have to go and pick up from them because I doubt they'll ship it to me.

Annoyingly, their account interface on their website doesn't seem to work well.

I've since ordered some paper through ImageScience and while I have yet to receive it (ordered yesterday and it needs to be brought in), they at least had the courtesy to call me and tell me the product had to be brought in as opposed to Kayell who just assumed it was ok to send without letting you know.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Trader Opinions