Internode - Thumbs up, Telstra - Thumbs down

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Internode - Thumbs up, Telstra - Thumbs down

Postby radar on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi,

back online, albeit at a much slower speed, no thanks to Telstra.

At around mid-day on Tuesday, ADSL stopped working. I wasn't too concerned as it rarely happens and when it does, usually a simple power cycle of the ADSL modem will fix it. It didn't, so I waited about an hour before calling my ISP, Internode.

They were very quick to answer, didn't have to wait at all to get tech support. The person on tech support didn't see anything wrong on the NSW infrastructure side. He then looked deeper into the ADSL setup and found that Telstra had removed the ADSL line code from my phone line!!

He said that this can happen when there has been a change to the phone account, eg: name change, address change, unpaid bill etc. None of that had happened to our phone line account.

He then submitted a request to Telstra to have the ADSL line codes re-activated but that could take a day or two to get a reply. Then it is up to Telstra to own up to their mistake even to the point of having the ADSL line needing to be fully re-commissioned and that could take days/week(s).

I decided to wait for 24 hours to see if Telstra were going to do anything. In the meantime, I called Telstra to confirm that no changes had been done to our phone account. They confirmed this.

This morning, I call Internode to check on the status. Here again, I get straight to tech support. Telstra has "admitted" to their mistake and will re-enable ADSL with and ETA of Friday 30 Nov.

I run my small business from home, I have my domain and mail server on site so not having my regular static IP address is a problem. Internet connectivity is critical. Internode to the rescue. I ask if I can get a temporary dial-up account with a static IP address. Not a problem, he's already contacted sales to have that organised. 20 minutes later, sales rings me to confirm the details and that my regular static IP address will be associated with my dial up account so I won't even have to change my DNS back and forth. The account type that I have is SOHO, in case you are wondering.

An hour later, I get an email on my gmail account with my dial-up account details, configure this on my server, up it comes and e-mail to my domain starts flowing back in :D :D

The way Internode supply their ADSL accounts is that you also get a dial-up account with 10 free hours of dial-up time. Yesterday I was able to use that account to keep me going and check my gmail account. The temporary account they setup for me is a continuous dial-up account and at no cost to me :D

Internode: :up: :up:

Telstra: :chook: :chook:

Internode may be not be the absolute cheapest but when you take into account their service, they are certainly worth the little extra.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Bindii on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Grrrrrr... don't get me started about telstra... *nods*...

Nice to see you back on line though.. :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby gstark on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Andre,

Good to see that Internode are on the ball on this one.

One of the real problems with what's happened to you is that Telstra have no accountability at all in this sort of situation. They have totally screwed you around, and cost you time and money.

But ... you are only their wholesale customer, so there is no relationship between them and you. And Internode, while servicing you very well, will have little interest in pursuing this any further.

The TIO will only entertain complaints that you might have with Internode, and clearly, you have no issues at all with them.

Might be a good time to give your local member a friendly tap on the shoulder.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Killakoala on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:12 pm

I've got to agree, Internode are pretty good and very quick to help with a fault. I just dealt with their tech support during my relocation last week and they were very helpful and speedy resolving my issue. (No ADSL on my new phone line. Got it now.)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Oneputt on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:54 pm

I have been with Internode for a few years now and on the odd occasion when I have had a problem, they have been great to deal with. Like Bindi said Telstra :twisted:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Steffen on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:58 am

I'm pretty sure Internode are charging Telstra penalties for outages like these. They might as well make the money work for their customer...

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby matt-chops on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:12 am

Don't worry, its not just wholesale customers that Telstra doesn't care about (no need to feel unloved).

I have a phone and internet account with them. Firstly, the only reason I decided to use one of their internet plans was so I could have a combined bill for both phone and internet... No. They send me 2 bills, at different times of the month no less. :evil:

Secondly, I signed up for a 24 month contract on ADSL1 with them, right before ADSL2 was made readily available. To upgrade my plan (give them more money each month to make this hell somewhat bearable) I have to go on a new 24 month contract. :twisted:

And the Kicker. My one tech support experience I had with them...
It took me a week's duration, 3 hours 40 mins on the phone, and a visit from a technician (who went to the wrong house, then left) for them to tell me my modem was broken... something I told them within the first 2 mins (after holding for 30mins) of the initial phone call. That, followed by another week to mail me a new modem.

Useless morons.

Praise Internode for good customer service. Radar, you're a lucky man (or a wise one :D).
Matt

Canon 5DmkII + Grip | Canon 400D + Grip | 17-40 f/4 L USM | 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM | 2 x 580 EX II | Manfrotto Stabilizing Stuff
matt-chops

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:33 am

I have nothing but praise for Telstra.

They have always been very good in solving any problems I may have had.

Matt-chops, you can combine your 2 bills into one - I have :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby matt-chops on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 am

sirhc55 wrote:I have nothing but praise for Telstra.

They have always been very good in solving any problems I may have had.

Matt-chops, you can combine your 2 bills into one - I have :wink:

I think if I take the time to call them it will be to cancel my internet contract. I'm very seriously considering saying "stuff it" and paying the cancellation fee.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm not trying to hijack this thread.

INTERNODE GOOOOOOOD... TELSTRA BAAAAAAAD!
Matt

Canon 5DmkII + Grip | Canon 400D + Grip | 17-40 f/4 L USM | 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM | 2 x 580 EX II | Manfrotto Stabilizing Stuff
matt-chops

Postby who on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:11 am

Internode have been very good to me.

Came to them from a former Veridas reseller ISP.... where I had crap speeds, heaps of dropouts, the list goes on.....

To Internode - 10 day + sessions, fast speeds, etc. Not the cheapest, but I want quality over quantity of data.

Oh, and their VOIP is top shelf too.
Old D200+extras
who

Return to Trader Opinions