Madsens

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Madsens

Postby glamy on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

I think I should mention the good service offered by Madsens in Wollongong. I bought a few filters from them: B+W, Hoya, Cokin etc... They have a wide range of filters, paper, Manfrotto gear like nowhere else, Lowepro etc... I just picked up a replacement Hoya filter for one with a defective coating. I try and support local business as much as I can when they are worth it and Madsens is one of them. Here is a link:http://www.madsens.com.au/
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby greencardigan on Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:03 am

I haven't got anything from Madsens recently but have bought a few cameras from them in the past. Always good service and often at good prices.

IIRC they do a student discount on consumables.

They have not long moved into a new/bigger store across the road from the old one in Crown St.
greencardigan

Postby seeto.centric on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:07 pm

one slightly off topic question - how do you know a filter has a defective coating?
i for the life of me cannot get the pro1 on my tamron back to original state after i accidentally put fingerprints on it and tried to remove using the huff puff buff thing.. the other day i tried pec pad + eclipse and it still doesnt resemble anything like it did when i bought it.

-j
seeto.centric

Postby Yi-P on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:46 pm

seeto.centric wrote:one slightly off topic question - how do you know a filter has a defective coating?
i for the life of me cannot get the pro1 on my tamron back to original state after i accidentally put fingerprints on it and tried to remove using the huff puff buff thing.. the other day i tried pec pad + eclipse and it still doesnt resemble anything like it did when i bought it.

-j

You mean that you still see those 'cleaning' marks that the eclipse+pecpad have left? It does that normally.

Easier way to fix this is just blow the filter on breathe and clean it with a large, soft cloth. It works for me...
Yi-P

Postby seeto.centric on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:02 pm

yeah theyre the ones! i thought eclipse was pure and hence shouldnt leave smears? or is it just too light of a solvent and pickup up some of the grease but leaving the rest?

huff puff buff didnt work... made it worse actually. might have to try a different cloth.

-j
seeto.centric

Postby Yi-P on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:28 pm

seeto.centric wrote:yeah theyre the ones! i thought eclipse was pure and hence shouldnt leave smears? or is it just too light of a solvent and pickup up some of the grease but leaving the rest?

huff puff buff didnt work... made it worse actually. might have to try a different cloth.

-j

Eclipse is not "pure" unfortunately as we thought it be. It is actual mixture of methanol and water (i think?). So hence you see the marks left behind that does not dry that quick. Otherwise it will disappear before you wipe the pecpad on the lens/filter :P
Yi-P

Postby glamy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:21 pm

seeto.centric wrote:one slightly off topic question - how do you know a filter has a defective coating?

-j

That is exactly what happened to me :roll: . I put a finger print and could not clean it. I tried micro fiber, micro fiber + spit, soapy water... eclipse+micro fiber...nothing worked and the coating ( super HMC Pro1) was showing some tiny marks like bubbles. Madsens sent it to Hoya for replacement. I have never had the problem with B+W even after ocean spray!
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby seeto.centric on Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:09 am

arrrgh! i THINK mine has the same problem. and the one on my 70-200VR has a bit of a big "bubble" towards the edge of the filter..
i dont know haha it doesnt seem to affect the images so i might aswell just leave it is but i might do something about the one on the tamron.

on another side note, ive managed to get filter flare for the first time using the tamron + pro1.
either ive never shot in such conditions to induce such an effect or the 30yr old filter i found in dad's old camera kit had a better coating HAHA!

-j
seeto.centric

Return to Trader Opinions