Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:19 pm

My new D200 + MB-D200, 70-200 VR, TC-17EII and 3 x spare batteries arrived today!

After a bit of a wait (Chinese New Year) I was hanging out for it to arrive, it was delayed by one part not being in stock (not sure which). But it shipped out on Wednesday and arrived today! I can't believe how quickly it gets here once dispatched! Everything was packed up wonderfully in original boxes and one large box. UPS was great to deal with as well, the tracking facility worked well, specially when bored ;)

Now the learning curve begins, the 70-200 VR is fabulous and the D200, well so many new settings, I have had it for about 7 hours and haven't taken one photograph yet, just been running through all the settings :shock:

So thanks to Poon for the great prices and Gary for organising and keeping me up to date on things. My only advice is make a note of when Chinese New Year is and avoid it if you can't wait :D

Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:38 pm

that is a fine kit. you will love it :D :D :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby Glen on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Brett all fine bits of kit, good luck
Glen

Re: Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:24 am

bwhinnen wrote:My new D200 + MB-D200, 70-200 VR, TC-17EII and 3 x spare batteries arrived today!

Nice! You're bound to enjoy this gear. :)
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ATJ on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:27 am

Here is another plug.

I ordered the AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II on Tuesday. Poon sent it on Friday and I received it this morning. That's less than 7 days.
ATJ

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:54 am

ATJ wrote:Here is another plug.

I ordered the AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II on Tuesday. Poon sent it on Friday and I received it this morning. That's less than 7 days.

And have you done side by sides yet? Just about to check your other thread :D
bwhinnen

Postby Geoff on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Great stuff Brett - a beautiful combination! :)
Now - show us some stuff! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Just one at Seaworld on Friday just gone.

Straight off camera converted from compressed RAW to JPEG with Capture 4.4.2 and a small amount of sharpening, no exposure, WB, or other changes, Matrix metering.

The 18-70 DX was used. I was really surprised about how well they come of the camera.

This was with the 70-200VR in passive mode, at f8, Aperture priority, same settings as above, expect resized in Lightroom to 800x600 JPEG 60% (no Capture on the laptop).

Brett
bwhinnen

Postby Jonesy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Just to add to the topic...

Thank you Gary and Poon. everything arrived safe and sound today. HK processing Centre on the 12th. Mt Gambier SA very early this morning (16th)

Thank you again from another very happy camper :D
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby bumthology on Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:08 pm

anyone know why i cant reply to that thread..

jonesy any chance of selling your sigma 10-20
hehee
bumthology

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:47 pm

bumthology wrote:anyone know why i cant reply to that thread..

Which thread?

Have you read the FAQ?? It's not simply a decorative item. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Jonesy on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am

bumthology wrote:anyone know why i cant reply to that thread..

jonesy any chance of selling your sigma 10-20
hehee

The sigma 70-200 soon-ish but not the 10-20... sorry :D
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Urgent, Does anyone have a phone number for Poon?

Postby damienlee on Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:55 am

This is my first post, was shown this forum by Poon as a matter of fact. I am actually trying to track him down. I got a nice quote from him for some gear for a trip I need to take in a couple of weeks and ever since I have not been able to get a response from him. Im aware he has made a trip to the USA but if I cant get a response from Poon or HKsupplies I am going to have to buy somewhere else which Id rather not do.

Does anyone have a contact number I can call for HKsupplies as there is no number on their site and they are either not sending me a reply or their email is being filtered at my server.

Damien
damienlee

Postby EveyOz on Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:10 pm

Congrats on getting a D200, it's a great camera.

You'll find that it "underexposes" sometimes on certain types of shots. Really it just tries to stop blown highlights so images like the one of your wife and kid (?) may come out a little dark.

A great guide for the camera is "Thom Hogan's complete guide to the D200".

Any questions about where to get the guide PM me.

:)
EveyOz

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:02 pm

EveyOz wrote:Congrats on getting a D200, it's a great camera.

You'll find that it "underexposes" sometimes on certain types of shots. Really it just tries to stop blown highlights so images like the one of your wife and kid (?) may come out a little dark.

A great guide for the camera is "Thom Hogan's complete guide to the D200".

Any questions about where to get the guide PM me.

Wait until you hit the QLD sun - it’s a real bugger :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: Urgent, Does anyone have a phone number for Poon?

Postby soxOZ on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:55 pm

damienlee wrote:This is my first post, was shown this forum by Poon as a matter of fact. I am actually trying to track him down. I got a nice quote from him for some gear for a trip I need to take in a couple of weeks and ever since I have not been able to get a response from him. Im aware he has made a trip to the USA but if I cant get a response from Poon or HKsupplies I am going to have to buy somewhere else which Id rather not do.
Does anyone have a contact number I can call for HKsupplies as there is no number on their site and they are either not sending me a reply or their email is being filtered at my server.
Damien

Hi Damien…

Looks like no one is going to answer your question, and unfortunately I can’t either. But I was in the same situation as you, I sent Poon an email to quote on a Nikon 28-70 f/2.8, and never received any reply…

Whether he will only answer certain people or what I don’t know, but after waiting too long for any reply, I decided to go back my trusted supplier Ned (PhotoBuff-Melbourne), who I have bought 90% of all my gear from and he gave me a price on the 28-70 that was a lot cheaper than the one HK Supplies had on eBay. I shouldn't have wasted my time and just went to PhotBuff in the first place... I also buy from Graham (D-D Photographics-Sydney), and you can pick up from either of them or have it couriered to you. BTW, I ordered my 28-70 on Monday, and recieved it Tuesday morning, in under 24hrs... Now thats what I call great service...

If you are still looking you can get a quote from either of them, this is their contact details,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ned
Photo Buff (Melbourne) - Ph. (03) 9708 0118 - Mob. 0439 027 466
Email: nm0810@bigpond.net.au
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graham
D-D Photographics (Sydney) – Ph. (02) 9929 7578 Fax: (02) 90120426
Email: sales@d-d-photographics.com

Good luck with your future purchases
C.Ya.....
Wally..........
Last edited by soxOZ on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soxOZ

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm

soxOZ wrote:I sent Poon an email to quote on a Nikon 28-70 f/2.8, and never received any reply…

Which, for members of this forum, is entirely the incorrect approach.

I really get sick of saying this - READ THE FAQ. I'll be willing to bet that neither of you have taken the five minutes it takes to do this.

We have a great relationship with Poon - I chatted with him, online, for about an hour last evening. During that chat I sorted out some minor problems with three different orders.

Whether he will only answer certain people or what I don’t know,

Let's just accept that he's a very busy person, and has also just lost a valuable staff member. I too find it very frustrating that he also sometimes fails to answer my emails. When that impacts upon an order, as it has this week, it becomes very ....

But I deal with it.

When Poon is dealing with members of the forum, he tries to insist that they deal ... through the forum. As his prices to forum members are better than they are to Joe Public, that is surely in the members' interests?

but after waiting too long for any reply, I decided to go back my trusted supplier Ned (PhotoBuff-Melbourne), who I have bought 90% of all my gear from

That is good; when people get good service and prices, I applaud and support that.

FWIW, I get requests, a daily basis, about ordering items from Poon. We have over 2500 members here, and most of the rest of them seem to have little difficulty in knowing what the correct procedure is, and whom they should contact.

Perhaps you should ask what was different in your case?

However, if and when you get to read to the FAQ, please pay careful attention to the bits about community participation. In the 12 months that you have been a member here, you have made a grand total of .... 16 posts.

That translates to just one-and-a-bit posts per month, and it's hardly a basis from which you can relate to any sort of community experience here, is it?

That you have been a member for that length of time, but you haven't read the FAQ is, IMHO, something to not be too proud of, either.

And IIRC, when you first joined, one of the mods had a quiet word to you about your non-compliant signature. It originally contained photos, as well as chapter and verse on the gear that you own, as I recall. And it, today, in your post above, remains both too long, and beyond the scope of our guidelines for signatures.

May I respectfully ask that you now fix your own signature, before I do it for you.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 pm

damienlee wrote:Does anyone have a contact number I can call for HKsupplies as there is no number on their site and they are either not sending me a reply or their email is being filtered at my server.

Damien

Even I don't have a number for him.

My only contact methods are by either email, or instant messaging. There are sometimes issues with the email responses from their end; I find being persistant helps.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby soxOZ on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:10 pm

gstark wrote:
soxOZ wrote:I sent Poon an email to quote on a Nikon 28-70 f/2.8, and never received any reply…

Well sorry but I didn’t see it and anyway, if Poon (HK Supplies) is a retailer, then what’s the problem, I wanted to buy and he wants to sells, and if he didn’t want to, well at least he could have had the common courtesy to at least reply to tell me, but to just ignore me, that’s not on in any business…..

gstark wrote:I really get sick of saying this - READ THE FAQ. I'll be willing to bet that neither of you have taken the five minutes it takes to do this.
We have a great relationship with Poon - I chatted with him, online, for about an hour last evening. During that chat I sorted out some minor problems with three different orders.

soxOZ wrote:Whether he will only answer certain people or what I don’t know,

Let's just accept that he's a very busy person, and has also just lost a valuable staff member. I too find it very frustrating that he also sometimes fails to answer my emails. When that impacts upon an order, as it has this week, it becomes very ....
But I deal with it.

Excuse me, “let just accept that he’s a very busy person” sorry that is no excuse for anything in business…So your saying Poon doesn’t answer all his emails, and only answers email when he feels like it, I’m glad that I never bought anything from him, that just isn’t acceptable today when communication is of prime importance to any business whether it is large or small.

gstark wrote:When Poon is dealing with members of the forum, he tries to insist that they deal ... through the forum. As his prices to forum members are better than they are to Joe Public, that is surely in the members' interests?

OK that’s fine, but if I did go out side the boundary, it still would have just been common courtesy for Poon to reply to my email and say to go thru the forum for pricing or whatever, but to just simply not reply….. That’s just not acceptable; I don’t care what anybody says…

gstark wrote:
soxOZ wrote:but after waiting too long for any reply, I decided to go back my trusted supplier Ned (PhotoBuff-Melbourne), who I have bought 90% of all my gear from

That is good; when people get good service and prices, I applaud and support that.
FWIW, I get requests, a daily basis, about ordering items from Poon. We have over 2500 members here, and most of the rest of them seem to have little difficulty in knowing what the correct procedure is, and whom they should contact.

Ask what the difference is… And what is different in my case or is it that I’m not part of the boys club here, I don’t know….. But you obviously do….

gstark wrote:However, if and when you get to read to the FAQ, please pay careful attention to the bits about community participation. In the 12 months that you have been a member here, you have made a grand total of .... 16 posts.
That translates to just one-and-a-bit posts per month, and it's hardly a basis from which you can relate to any sort of community experience here, is it?
That you have been a member for that length of time, but you haven't read the FAQ is, IMHO, something to not be too proud of, either.

As for me posting only 16 post YEAH..!!!!! Your right…. Why…. Because it’s hard to answer post when there is only an average of 1 a week (NIKON) and that’s a good week…. And I not interested in giving a 2 word reply to add to the amount of post I have… I only answer a post if it’s beneficial to the person who posted, and not a 2 word post giving some useless remark…
Well I guess that I’ve just been too busy to read the FAQ

gstark wrote:And IIRC, when you first joined, one of the mods had a quiet word to you about your non-compliant signature. It originally contained photos, as well as chapter and verse on the gear that you own, as I recall. And it, today, in your post above, remains both too long, and beyond the scope of our guidelines for signatures.
May I respectfully ask that you now fix your own signature, before I do it for you.

And did I not fix it immediately as requested and now you say my signature doesn’t comply, well I have already changed it just as you requested, as it probably will be the last thing I do around here. You can’t even ask me politely to fix my signature, but make a threat….

You know, you must be one REALLY SOUR and GRUMPY dude, I really feel sorry for you…. From the first time I had any contact with you, you come across with such arrogance and hostility when I answered a post, but I managed to stay polite to you as I thought that I would try and become friends with people who are interested in photography in this country. You know, I even got an email from one of your regular long time members saying how they couldn’t believe how RUDE you were to me in that post and you know the one I’m talking about, and if you don’t well look it up as you say there’s only 16 to check….

I don’t know what makes you think you got the right to act the way you do, but with that type of attitude, this site will never get any bigger as long as you post any reply’s to people asking for guidance… You really need to have a close look at yourself, people come here to try and get advice or give advice to those who need it. But you only like to put people down with your self-importance and with your complete lack of consideration for others…. I'm just curious if will you leave this post and not pull it, and if you do, then you have totally proved how right I am about what type of person you really are…. It’s just not worth putting up with your snide and sarcastic remarks every time I post...

And what amazes me is that Damien had posted on “Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:25 am?” and had not received any reply in this forum from any of its member or you. But within an hour of me posting, you reply to both my comments which were only to try and help Damien and then you answered Damien, 3WEEKS after he asked for HELP…. DUH…. What with that… This is what you call community help. Is that your idea of how to help people in this forum or is it just a boys club or anybody that totally agrees with you no matter how wrong you are….

Good Bye…..
soxOZ

Postby gstark on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:51 am

soxOZ wrote:
gstark wrote:

Well sorry but I didn’t see it and anyway,
 FAQ .... FAQ ... FAQ ...

if Poon (HK Supplies) is a retailer, then what’s the problem,

I don't believe that he has a problem, and no, he is not a retailer. He has no shopfront, and no retail presence.

He's an ebay seller, and has been for a very long time. As such, he is well respected within the ebay community (they invite him to their gala functions), and beyond it, by people such as ourselves, to whom he sells, and people such as the HK government, because of the value of the trade he brings in to HK.

Perhaps you should do some research on how the relationship between HKS and this forum came to be? It's all here, in the forum. Search is your friend this time.

I wanted to buy and he wants to sells,

But he mainly sells through ebay. If you want to deal directly with him (and pay more), then by all means, buy through his ebay offerings.

Forum trades represent but a trifling amount of his turnover, and if you want to avail yourself of the special relationship that we have - which costs him money - then what is wrong with following a few simple guidelines?

And - importantly - what is wrong with acquainting yourself with those guidelines in the first instance?

gstark wrote:Let's just accept that he's a very busy person, and has also just lost a valuable staff member. I too find it very frustrating that he also sometimes fails to answer my emails. When that impacts upon an order, as it has this week, it becomes very ....
But I deal with it.

Excuse me, “let just accept that he’s a very busy person” sorry that is no excuse for anything in business…So your saying Poon doesn’t answer all his emails, and only answers email when he feels like it,

Actually, I don't answer every email I get either. Especially as most of what I get is SPAM. And I don't believe that I'd get even 1% of the email that Poon would get.

Again, Poon is an ebay trader. He is not a retailer. Where is it decreed that he must respond to your email?

Again, his normal mode of trading is through ebay, and I would imagine that messages that he gets through that medium are handled promptly and appropriately. Certainly, judging by his sales through that medium, that would appear to be the case.

So ... coming back to email, why should he respond to you, when he doesn't know who you are, and you're not addressing him from one of his recognised channels?

I’m glad that I never bought anything from him,

Cool. Please don't be offended then, if, when the time comes and you ask for full membership, that we decline. Please note that this will continue to restrict some of your posting activities, but that seems to be the path you wish to travel.

gstark wrote:When Poon is dealing with members of the forum, he tries to insist that they deal ... through the forum. As his prices to forum members are better than they are to Joe Public, that is surely in the members' interests?

OK that’s fine, but if I did go out side the boundary, it still would have just been common courtesy for Poon to reply to my email and say to go thru the forum for pricing or whatever, but to just simply not reply….. That’s just not acceptable; I don’t care what anybody says…

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. While I tend to agree, I also have an appreciation for how much SPAM one can see on a daily basis, and in view of the fact that you're beyond the boundaries of what's the accepted practice, whom might you suggest should be the person designated to accept the consequences of your actions, if not yourself?

gstark wrote: FWIW, I get requests, a daily basis, about ordering items from Poon. We have over 2500 members here, and most of the rest of them seem to have little difficulty in knowing what the correct procedure is, and whom they should contact.

Ask what the difference is… And what is different in my case or is it that I’m not part of the boys club here, I don’t know….. But you obviously do….

Ah yes ... that old chestnut ...

Please show me where the boys club is ...

Let's get back to facts:

Q: Who failed to read the FAQ?
A: You.

Q: Who failed to follow the procedures, procedures that have been in place for a very long time, and work for the vast majority of members ?
A: You.

Most members seem to understand the need for the procedures. They also even understand them, and they have no problems, at an appropriate juncture, asking that their membership level be adjusted in order that they may avail themselves of those processes, the extra posting privileges, and the bargains we have on offer.

I have approved many members after about one month's membership because they are easily able to demonstrate, within that month, membership of the community. That is rarely an issue.

OTOH, you come in, having been a member for a year, but have contributed not a bean, yet you seem to expect that you are the one who will set the standards, and make the rules. If that's what you want to do, then fine ... please go right ahead and start your own forum. Otherwise, I would ask that you read and respect those that we have in place here.

gstark wrote:However, if and when you get to read to the FAQ, please pay careful attention to the bits about community participation. In the 12 months that you have been a member here, you have made a grand total of .... 16 posts.

As for me posting only 16 post YEAH..!!!!! Your right…. Why…. Because it’s hard to answer post when there is only an average of 1 a week (NIKON) and that’s a good week…. And I not interested in giving a 2 word reply to add to the amount of post I have… I only answer a post if it’s beneficial to the person who posted, and not a 2 word post giving some useless remark…

Your answer does not compute. We have an average of about 300 posts daily, over a wide variety of topics.

If you are choosing to restrict yourself to just the one forum section, then you are missing out on a whole array of useful information.

Now, I happen to believe that, in terms of photography, you are a relative newcomer - maybe over the last three years or so.

Many of us have been enjoying this craft for 30 or more years, and your failure to avail yourself of the wealth of knowledge and skill that is here, is exactly that: your failure.

And if you believe that you may know it all, with respect, you do not. I know none of the veterans here will make that claim, and anyone who does, is only fooling themselves.

So, again, the choice is yours: become an active member of the community - which will result in you acquiring new skills, techniques, and friends - or go your own merry way.

Well I guess that I’ve just been too busy to read the FAQ

With all due respect: bullshit!

You come here and criticise, but haven't taken a few minutes to acquaint yourself with our rules?

I might just rename you to .... hmmmm .... :)

gstark wrote:And IIRC, when you first joined, one of the mods had a quiet word to you about your non-compliant signature. It originally contained photos, as well as chapter and verse on the gear that you own, as I recall. And it, today, in your post above, remains both too long, and beyond the scope of our guidelines for signatures.

And did I not fix it immediately as requested

Actually, at that time, you did not. You certainly addressed a part of the problem, but it was still not in compliance. Because you were a new member, the mods discussed the situation, and decided to leave it for another day.

and now you say my signature doesn’t comply, well I have already changed it just as you requested, as it probably will be the last thing I do around here. You can’t even ask me politely to fix my signature, but make a threat….

Please see above: you had already been told that your sig was not in compliance. That was your first warning. My note yesterday was your second on the matter.

That you, by your own admission, have failed to read the FAQ, despite its existence being drawn to your attention on a number of occasions, tells me much about you.

Given your vast input to these forums ...

as it probably will be the last thing I do around here

Tell me honestly if you believe you'll be missed? :) Don't let the door hit you on the bum on the way out!

You know, you must be one REALLY SOUR and GRUMPY dude,

Yep. Guilty as charged.

I really feel sorry for you…. From the first time I had any contact with you, you come across with such arrogance and hostility when I answered a post, but I managed to stay polite to you as I thought that I would try and become friends with people who are interested in photography in this country.

Oh, I love this ...

First of all, this is not about me. Get the facts straight.

YOU fail to read the FAQ.

YOU fail to even acquaint yourself with the rules here.

YOU ALSO fail to acquaint yourself with even the most basic procedures that we have.

YOU, after about twelve months' membership, and virtually zero input to the community, start bitchin' and whinin' when I pick you up on some of the basic and fundamental flaws in your arguments and discussions.

And then now, you decide to blame me for all of your failings. As I said, I love it.

Now, if you have a problem with me, then by all means, send me a PM, or send one to one of the mods. Any and all of them are good people, and will take up any issue for a member where they feel I'm wrong. It's happened before, and I'm sure it'll happen again.

In this case though, look closely at YOUR failings first.

I don’t know what makes you think you got the right to act the way you do,

Let's see ... here's a couple of clues for you ...

I own the licenses to the domain names ... I pay for the hosting services ... I maintain the code base ... I maintain the database ... I handle support for the forum ...

Would you care to hazard a guess? :)

but with that type of attitude, this site will never get any bigger as long as you post any reply’s to people asking for guidance…

Let's see ... 30 months ago we had 5 members, grew to about 14 within a week. Today we have over 2500 ... and we continue to grow at a rate that far exceeds my expectations. Which were, actually, zero.

What you still fail to understand is that most people, when asking for guidance, have already taken a few moments to do what you have stated that you were too damn busy to do.

You also seem to be under the misapprehension that I make money from this forum ... Let's do the math together: I pay for the domain names - six of 'em, right now. I pay for the hosting. I develop, test and implement any custom code. I maintain the site. I talk with the hosting company when there are issues. All of that costs me money and/or time.

Your total membership cost is .... er, um ... yeah that's right: you've been ripped off to the tune of exactly ... $0.00.

So ... given that this site is a cost centre to me, perhaps you'd care to elaborate on why it's an issue to you that the site not get any bigger?

You really need to have a close look at yourself, people come here to try and get advice or give advice to those who need it. But you only like to put people down with your self-importance and with your complete lack of consideration for others….

Again, you are so far out of the ballpark here that it's not even funny.

But that you're so far wrong 's not at all surprising, given your total failure to participate in the community here. Perhaps if you looked a little more thoughtfully beyond your lack of participation, you'd understand what really happens here.

And finally on this note, I will again point out that you, in trying to deflect the conversation towards me, are simply trying to pull the discussion off-topic.

The bottom line is very simple: you attacked the process that are in place without even, by your own admission, having a basic understanding of those processes.

I have tried to address your questions, and in so doing, I pulled you up on both your admitted failings in the area of understanding the rules, and also the area of your signature.

You are upset over those calls. That is understandable, but it is nobody's fault but your own that you have failed to read the FAQ.

If you don't like the rules, fine. Go away.

I'm just curious if will you leave this post and not pull it, and if you do, then you have totally proved how right I am about what type of person you really are….

So, you have, yet again, just proven how wrong you are.

And what amazes me is that Damien had posted on “Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:25 am?” and had not received any reply in this forum from any of its member or you. But within an hour of me posting, you reply to both my comments which were only to try and help Damien and then you answered Damien, 3WEEKS after he asked for HELP

Yep.

I have a life beyond this forum.

So too do most of our members.

Nobody makes any claims to be able to read every post, although I suspect I've read a hell of a lot more than you have. :)

We have a list of the 50 most recent posts on the front page, and that is frequently reviewed by myself and the moderation team.

But there is no guarantee that every post gets read, nor is there any guarantee that every post that warrants a response gets one. That's how things are.

Get over it.

Good Bye…..

Is that a promise? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Just a reminder from me - this thread is in Trader Opinions and should be about discussing the topic Poon's service as best as I can tell. Please stay on that topic.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby joey on Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:13 pm

I read other forums related to photography. HK Supplies is a respected trader and often recommended on another forum.

I dealt once with HK Supplies in the past through eBay and I was very happy with price and services. :)
Nikons: D200, N80. Nikkors: 20-35 f/2.8 AFD, 50mm f/1.4 AFD. Speedlights: SB800.
joey

Postby Yi-P on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 pm

If anyone really need gears from Poon, by any means, get it through his eBay channel. This forum is for discussing any photographic related topics and questions. Not a bargain forum or market forum. As gstark said, he makes no profit from you here and you're free to do what you pleased to. Tho if you wish to remain within a community, you must follow certain rules. It is not hard to do so, we have so many active members and they all can follow the rules as listed in the FAQ section, this is not hard for anyone to do so...
Yi-P

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:13 am

I only have two problems with Poon & buying through DSLRUsers (& they are related.):
1. Prices are so good, I spend when perhaps I shouldn't. Now if only that D200 would come down just a little more...

2. Prices always seem to drop just after I buy something. Is that Gary out to get me, or just the Pacific Peso doing its thing? I wonder.

On the other hand delivery is very prompt. Unless of course you order at the beginning of Lunar New Year. Service is with a virtual smile and packing and quality of goods leave nothing to be desired. I haven't had the need for after sales service yet, so I can't comment on that.

OT Yes Gary comes across as a grumpy bugger at times. But I've seen the photos & I know the reason - I have the same problem. If you are wondering, there are a couple of movies and a TV series that explore this issue. But SoxOZ, you must be really, really old! :twisted:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:41 am

I think I have ordered 3-4 times, each time my order has arrived before the tracking number has even been emailed, and I cant ask for a better system/service than that. I think it worked pretty much as described in the FFAQ. :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby wendellt on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:49 am

i was going to add to this thread when i got my d200 but i couldnt work out the search

well since this thread is visible again

i'll praise the service

there was procedure involved but its a small price to pay for great service

after payment was coinfirmed i got my camera 4 days after via fed ex no questions asked

when i dealt with poon directly a coupel of years back to get my 85mm f1.4
i didnt get much email respoinse from lots of my questions but i got the item before i had time to followup busy people just get things done and they don't necassarily have time to answer each question
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Paul on Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:54 am

I've bought through the forum a few times and also direct through Poon's ebay shop website, every time it's been no hassle with the goods arriving within 4-5 days depending on his stock situation.
Very happy with both services 8)
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Jonesy on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:00 am

My 2nd order in as many months arrived today... most happy

The prices speak for themselves, and the ordering and delivery is very simple and fast.

Nothing but full praise for Gary and Poon to make this happen so well...

now off to read FAQ about this boys club I've been hearing about :lol:
Jonesy

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 am

Mr Darcy wrote:I only have two problems with Poon & buying through DSLRUsers (& they are related.):
1. Prices are so good, I spend when perhaps I shouldn't. Now if only that D200 would come down just a little more...

I thought it just did. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:40 am

Mr Darcy wrote:OT Yes Gary comes across as a grumpy bugger at times. But I've seen the photos & I know the reason - I have the same problem. If you are wondering, there are a couple of movies and a TV series that explore this issue. But SoxOZ, you must be really, really old! :twisted:

I have the same affliction. The technical name for it is AOI - Adult Onset Intolerance. ;)
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:46 am

ATJ wrote:Adult Onset Intolerance. ;)

Adult???

Me ???

I've never been accused of that before!

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:16 am

gstark wrote:
ATJ wrote:Adult Onset Intolerance. ;)

Adult???

Me ???

Physical age, not mental age. :P
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Adult???

Me ???

Perhaps you prefer the old term for it.....

Second Childhood :twisted:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby adam on Wed May 16, 2007 11:49 am

Happy happy
Received the tracking no. yesterday.
This morning when I was waiting for my computer to load (to check my shipment), there was a knock on the door, it was here already :D
thanks
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Laurie on Wed May 16, 2007 11:58 am

*crosses fingers* i hope i receive my 12-24mm today :(

I haven't received the tracking no. yet but i hope that I get it v-soon or ill be 12-24mm-less for my NY trip :*(
Laurie

Postby iGBH on Wed May 16, 2007 6:07 pm

I received my D80 and 18-200 today so am very happy.

Unfortunately it has sat next to me all day at my desk unopened because i have work to do (or at least look like i have work to do).

Thanks to Poon and this site for a great service. It took a while for delivery because of Poon being away but other than that i have no complaints whatsoever. I'm really looking forward to getting some shots on here in the next few weeks.
iGBH

Postby Alex on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:57 pm

I'll add my voice to this thread. My D200 arrived today thanks to Gary and Poon. What a great camera, a vast improvement on already great D70!

Thanks

Alex
Alex

Postby dodge on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Curiosity time......

Was wondering how long after doing the initial emails before you receive some tracking details for your order?I have received the confirmation of payment advise email on the 10/07...

cheers Joe :D
Canon 40D/350d 18-55kit lens...90-300efs lens...17-35 2.8L..70-200 2.8 IS in my bag and now a 580ex2 +50mm1.8
dodge

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Joe,

Your order was short-paid by a small amount, and they've asked me - twice - to ask you for the extra payment, but I've intstructed them - three times thus far - to ship your order.

I'm awaiting confirmation of that and will let you know as soon as I hear more.

Cheers.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dodge on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:19 pm

gstark wrote:Joe,

Your order was short-paid by a small amount, and they've asked me - twice - to ask you for the extra payment, but I've intstructed them - three times thus far - to ship your order.

I'm awaiting confirmation of that and will let you know as soon as I hear more.

Cheers.
short paid ...i'm not sure how that was possible gary..but thanks for replying...I just paid off the amount on the email :?:

cheers Joe
Canon 40D/350d 18-55kit lens...90-300efs lens...17-35 2.8L..70-200 2.8 IS in my bag and now a 580ex2 +50mm1.8
dodge

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm

dodge wrote:short paid ...i'm not sure how that was possible gary..but thanks for replying...I just paid off the amount on the email :?:

I have no access to Poon's bank account,nor to your's. All I'm telling you is what they've told me, and what I've said in return.

Checking your bank account transaction against the email though, would surely confirm or deny their error?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dodge on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:40 pm

gstark wrote:
dodge wrote:short paid ...i'm not sure how that was possible gary..but thanks for replying...I just paid off the amount on the email :?:

I have no access to Poon's bank account,nor to your's. All I'm telling you is what they've told me, and what I've said in return.

Checking your bank account transaction against the email though, would surely confirm or deny their error?
i have the transaction slip right here in front of me... $2498-00 total..i can even fax that to you if you like gary...

cheers Joe
dodge

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:52 pm

That's very interesting ....

They're saying they've recieived $10 less .... not that I'm concerned about the $10, but as you're saying you sent the correct amount, I am wondering where it's gone.

Rather than fax, could you please scan and email it to me ? That way we can ask some serious questions of the bank ....

One further question ... you did do this as a local transaction ???

I'm wondering if the bank treated it as a foreign transaction, and is trying to skim some fees off the top?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dodge on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:59 pm

gstark wrote:That's very interesting ....

They're saying they've recieived $10 less .... not that I'm concerned about the $10, but as you're saying you sent the correct amount, I am wondering where it's gone.

Rather than fax, could you please scan and email it to me ? That way we can ask some serious questions of the bank ....

One further question ... you did do this as a local transaction ???

I'm wondering if the bank treated it as a foreign transaction, and is trying to skim some fees off the top?
It was done as a local transaction.I told the girl at the bank that twice...mind you they charged me $30 to do the transfer at the bank(westpac)....will get it scanned and emailed to you gary
dodge

Postby gstark on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:05 pm

dodge wrote:
gstark wrote:I'm wondering if the bank treated it as a foreign transaction, and is trying to skim some fees off the top?
It was done as a local transaction.I told the girl at the bank that twice...mind you they charged me $30 to do the transfer at the bank(westpac)....will get it scanned and emailed to you gary

That sounds like it may be the source of the problem.

Complain to them - very bloody loudly - and ask them to explain themselves. This is a very simply local transaction, and there should be no fees at all.

Ask them why you were charged fees for this, and do not accept the first, nor the second, answer that they give you.

That said, Westpac seem to be the most troublesome in this regard - they are the most common bank that I hear people having issues with - but by far the easiest way is to simply do it through online banking.

Eliminates the idiots.

Sorry, I mean bank tellers.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby jamesw on Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:47 pm

gstark wrote:
dodge wrote:
gstark wrote:I'm wondering if the bank treated it as a foreign transaction, and is trying to skim some fees off the top?

Complain to them - very bloody loudly - and ask them to explain themselves. This is a very simply local transaction, and there should be no fees at all.

Ask them why you were charged fees for this, and do not accept the first, nor the second, answer that they give you.

That said, Westpac seem to be the most troublesome in this regard - they are the most common bank that I hear people having issues with - but by far the easiest way is to simply do it through online banking.

Eliminates the idiots.

hehehe calling me an idiot? i'm doing some relief work as a teller today! heheh.

yeah any account with a aussie BSB should not incur any more fees... if they can plug it into their computer and get a branch name for the BSB... well then it shouldnt be $30...

actually, i'm a credit union teller... therefore i'm not an idiot :twisted:
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby dodge on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:04 pm

gstark wrote:
dodge wrote:

Eliminates the idiots.

sorry for creating this little drama...thanks for looking into this gary
dodge

Postby dodge on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:56 am

Any further news at all Gary :?:

cheers Joe
dodge

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:24 pm

I have your scan ...... but no. It's been the weekend, and I've not been able to contact Poon over that period.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dodge on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:38 pm

gstark wrote:I have your scan ...... but no. It's been the weekend, and I've not been able to contact Poon over that period.
thanks gary :wink:
dodge

Next

Return to Trader Opinions