Melb Photoshop Courses?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Melb Photoshop Courses?

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Anyone know, or have been to local courses in Photoshop? I'd like to dedicate some time to it, and find a classroom environment a great way to get the basics cut out.

Any recommendations, in Melbourne, or other cities in AU?

thanks in advance, Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby !~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:02 pm

i recently got a brochure with sum included, absolutly metal price tho-----sumwhere in the $400 region for 2x 4hr courses. and it is very basic such as resizing, redeye & selection tools etc...
I have a d/l'd a html file which claims to teach u everything about CS2 in 24 hours - an Ebook as such.....being a full 24hrs worth of stuff....not as in u can learn it all in 24hours!
maybe wee can teach each other :o
I just find $400 and 8 hours unjustified for basic PS stuff that we could prolly read and practise through over one or two nights after work...
its a 55mb file so if ur nice maybe i can assist u with recieveing this file :D
!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~!

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:36 am

!~DeViNe~DaRkNeSs~! wrote:i recently got a brochure with sum included, absolutly metal price tho-----sumwhere in the $400 region for 2x 4hr courses. and it is very basic such as resizing, redeye & selection tools etc...
I have a d/l'd a html file which claims to teach u everything about CS2 in 24 hours - an Ebook as such.....being a full 24hrs worth of stuff....not as in u can learn it all in 24hours!
maybe wee can teach each other :o
I just find $400 and 8 hours unjustified for basic PS stuff that we could prolly read and practise through over one or two nights after work...
its a 55mb file so if ur nice maybe i can assist u with recieveing this file :D

Sounds like a good doc to start with, I'd love to read through it. I agree, I often find in IT courses, that only 10% of the time is on new stuff (valuable however), and often its just a matter of using the time carefully, to use a $30 book with lessons, and teach one's self.

On the flip side, taking time off work, to sit ina class, helps me focus on topic a little better too.

where can I get the file you refer to?
Oz_Beachside

Postby johnd on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:59 am

Bruce, do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy of Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers". 450 pages of absolute gems from the photoshop master. Lock yourself away with the book and a PC for a week and you'll learn a lot.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Hudo on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:09 am

Hey,

If you have iTunes there are many video pod casts to check out. One in particular is Photoshop TV that is hosted by 3 of the all time photoshop gurus's including Scott Kelby. Scott has many photoshop books as well you'll find. Not that I find the time to watch the shows and try out the tecqniues they teach but if you do it's a great way to learn all F.OC., apart from your internet connection costs.

Mark
Hudo

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 am

johnd wrote:Bruce, do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy of Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers". 450 pages of absolute gems from the photoshop master. Lock yourself away with the book and a PC for a week and you'll learn a lot.

Cheers
John

great, thanks John, I'll try to get one today!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Yi-P on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:18 am

johnd wrote:Bruce, do yourself a favour and get hold of a copy of Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop CS2 book for digital photographers". 450 pages of absolute gems from the photoshop master. Lock yourself away with the book and a PC for a week and you'll learn a lot.

Cheers
John

I eventually spent 3 hours in the bookshop reading this book and all I can say it is definitely a gem for all DSLR photographers.
Yi-P

Postby photograham on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Oz, will back up Scott Kelby's book, and watch Photoshop TV. Another via ITunes videocast is www. photowalkthrough.com
There are several screen based tutorial sites, so you just have to set aside a half hour regularly to follow the tutorials. Another is http://www.WatchandLearnPhotoshop.com for a 5 minute tute each week.
photograham

Postby Alex on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:52 pm

I can only repeat what others said about Scott Kelby's book. Also, have a look at Dan Margoulis's book on photoshop in LAB mode.

Alex
Alex

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 pm

got the book today, looks great, now, to set aside some time to learn!
Oz_Beachside

Postby Alex on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:10 am

There is also a very nice 3 dvd set called "Total Photoshop Training". I think it's available from amazon.

Alex
Alex

Postby Matt. K on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:23 pm

If you get a small group together and fly me down to Melbourne I'll be happy to run a 4/5 hour session for you. Will need a venue and a computer and projector. Coffee will be mandatory. :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby photograham on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:23 pm

And have just come across some more photoshop videocasts at http://creativesuitepodcast.com/index.p ... =Photoshop
although I haven't had a look at any of tutorials just yet.
Now! Back to my photoshop!!!
photograham

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:48 pm

Matt. K wrote:If you get a small group together and fly me down to Melbourne I'll be happy to run a 4/5 hour session for you. Will need a venue and a computer and projector. Coffee will be mandatory. :D :D :D

WOW, Matt, that is most generous of you. We could make this work, perhaps similar to the Portrature Workshop we hosted in Melbourne?
Oz_Beachside

Postby Kyle on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:38 pm

When you do this mattk, i'll gladly drive ya down for the event, i'd be keen to attend this for sure!! :)

Could chuck in a portraiture workshop or similar, have a weekend event perhaps? :?
Kyle

Return to Trader Opinions