Myphotofun.com.au - Unsatisfied Results

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Myphotofun.com.au - Unsatisfied Results

Postby Yi-P on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Just received my printed deluxe album from myphotofun, but the results are way too off from my expectations.

First off, the skin tones are far colder than the originals. The photos are downsized for optimizing sending process, but then I can see artefacts of pixelation and uneven shadow tones on some part of the body which looks like bruises to me.

Smaller images are downsized even more I suppose, they lost contrast and saturation. Simple words, far off from the originals.

And I calibrated my monitor with a Spyder 2 many many times until I get a near constant result. I'm assuming that the colours I am seeing on my monitor is as accurate as it should be.

So, who's problem will this be, on my side of PP before sending off to the printer or their problem with their quality controls and printers?
Yi-P

Postby adam on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:50 pm

http://www.myphotofun.com.au/Guarantee.php
Do you fulfil the three conditions? :) If so, you can get money back!
but doing PP might be considered breaking 1)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Steffen on Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:28 am

Crikey, that sounds bad!

If you say, downsized for sending, how did you submit them? Was the choice of resolution not yours on submission?

Where you given a printer profile, so you could soft-proof the images and anticipate the printed colours?

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Yi-P on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 am

Do you fulfil the three conditions? If so, you can get money back!
but doing PP might be considered breaking 1)

When fitting in pictures into the software template, not really all of them are tight fit 3:2, and according to them "Some cropping of the image will help".... ahh-hhaa??

Steffen wrote:If you say, downsized for sending, how did you submit them? Was the choice of resolution not yours on submission?

No, the software package did this itself, I have no idea or control about what is being reduced.

Where you given a printer profile, so you could soft-proof the images and anticipate the printed colours?

Cheers
Steffen.

I asked, first time they replied, the representative had no idea what I was talking about. I chased around, he said he will find a link for me, never heard from there again.
Yi-P

Postby adam on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:29 am

I hope you can get the problems fixed :)
Maybe they don't know what those things are.

Last time at a photo-printing-place I asked for a printer profile and after a discussion between the workers, they came back to me and said "You don't need one, the red will come out red, the green will come out green and the blue will come out blue".
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby stubbsy on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:46 am

As many of you will know I use Momento pro and have had excellent results from them. they are not the cheapest, but they are good quality. They provide a printer profile on their web site.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Jonesy on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:18 am

I can back Stubbsy up on the Quality and Service from Momento. They are A1 from my experience.

Still doesn't help your situation. Sorry to hear your troubles
D4, D700, plus glass from 14mm to 200mm
Gaffa Tape is like the FORCE... it has a Light side, a Dark side and it holds the universe together
Jonesy

Postby obzelite on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:29 am

just got back two albums from these guys and they are fine.

Thought i would give them a go as i wanted something cheap to give to relatives.

Although the software kept crashing everytime i wanted to fill a single page with one photo with no border, good thing is it saved the work each time before it crashed, and i found a work around after a while.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby stetner on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:29 am

adam wrote:Last time at a photo-printing-place I asked for a printer profile and after a discussion between the workers, they came back to me and said "You don't need one, the red will come out red, the green will come out green and the blue will come out blue".

:shock: Unreal....
stetner

Postby gstark on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:14 am

adam wrote:Last time at a photo-printing-place I asked for a printer profile and after a discussion between the workers, they came back to me and said "You don't need one, the red will come out red, the green will come out green and the blue will come out blue".

The whites will come out pink.

Or yellow.

Maybe cyan.

Perhaps the services of a different lab might be the order of the day. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Back with little update since I saw this back on live...

I sent the album back saying that they do not meet my expectations and will like a refund of the album. They received the package and said that the photos were 'altered' and will not refund because of this way. Okay, who will actually send out a batch print job without first making slight adjustments in PP before sending them in?

I still dont know how should I deal with a digital printing firm whose customer representative does not know what an ICC printer profile is.

Instead of refunding, they gave me back a $20 voucher via email and said that I can use them in the "future" album prints... but I will darely go again if I'm doing a job rather than just printing off random memory pictures. They have yet to send the album back to me.

In summary, I lost $110 from making the album, and have to pay another extra for a second print on Momento or somewhere else.
Yi-P

Postby Glen on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 pm

Yip, do you have the albums back? Once you do I would go to Consumer Affairs and state the name of the person you were talking to and the problem. My belief is they are not qualified to offer the service if they do not have that basic knowledge which any decent photographic lab would. It is a bit like doing oilchanges without knowing what viscocity is in oil, you can certainly do it, but will you get the right oil in the right cars?
Glen

Postby obzelite on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:39 am

all the photos in mine were altered, some got a serious about of pp.

how would they even know if the pictures had been altered?
without access to the originals there would be no way they could substantiate that claim.

i would go back and say some did have some alteration, but other are direct from the camera and are just as bad. Then just tell them if you don't get a satisfactory outcome as per the guarantee on the website you will get consumer affairs involved. And remind them that their reputation is already looking bad thanks to the internet and forums.

Even though i don't have any complaints i refuse to deal with companies that have poor customer service and from what you have said i would defiantly recommend to anyone to stay away from them.
Simon
www.colberne.com.au
I purchased a Teddy Bear this morning for the sum of $10. I named him Mohammed. This afternoon I sold him on E-Bay for $30. My question is, "Have I made a prophet?"
obzelite

Postby Wocka on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:31 pm

This is a little disappointing as I was going to use these guys for a book of my own.

What I liked with My Photo Fun is that you could format the text on the page like Word, eg different size / colour etc.

Momento only allows Heading / Text and one other format through out the whole book (please correct me if I’m wrong, as I have only evaluated each piece of software for 10 minutes each). I did like the extra features like border etc that Monento gives you. But I was able to replicate the same look with Actions in PS CS2.

I might take another look back at Momento and see if I can do something about the text formatting issue

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby stubbsy on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Warwick

You are correct about text limitations In Momento and it's the one thing I'd like to see from them. My workaround was to do the text in PSCS2 and save it as a graphic.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Wocka on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:17 pm

Stubbsy,

Good solution. I might give that a go.

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Return to Trader Opinions