Harvey Norman Photo Processing

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Harvey Norman Photo Processing

Postby huynhie on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:24 pm

Just to let you guys know,

if you have an AMEX card then you are entitle to a 20% discount on photo processing.

American Express
huynhie

Postby Killakoala on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:56 pm

Hmmmm, I'm not sure i see a benefit there. :shock: :roll:
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:58 pm

Steve,

I was thinking that second prize might have been a 40% discount. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:00 pm

don't they charge like 70$+ for a 16x20 print
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby DanielA on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:00 pm

redline wrote:don't they charge like 70$+ for a 16x20 print

Their website says $29.95 for 16x20.
http://harveynorman.fujicolor.com.au/brand/content/order_digital_photo_prints_online.asp

I take it people don't like HN for prints?

Daniel
Last edited by DanielA on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:19 pm

I'm not a huge fan of HN. Only time I've used them was for quick and dirty small print jobs where no-one needed to keep the photo.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby DanielA on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 pm

What is the main complaint with HN?
I've done 6x4 prints there and they seem OK.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:17 pm

That's exactly it for me...it's "ok", not great ;) I'm not too keen on the paper quality, even tho it IS using fuji stuff.

I'm too pedantic with my images, so I want them to be of high quality, etc. That's why for me, the paper counts as well.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby huynhie on Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

DanielA wrote:What is the main complaint with HN?
I've done 6x4 prints there and they seem OK.

Daniel

There is nothing wrong with HN for 6x4 prints. I'd be hard pressed spotting any difference between prints at HN and prints done at my pro lab for digital prints.

Crystal archive paper is the same no matter where you go, there is no difference in the paper quality from one vendor to another. Unless you are talking about the pro version of the crystal archive paper.
huynhie

Postby owen on Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:16 am

I've got a 12" x 18" print done there and the quality it came out was amazing. Very clear and bright and very detailed. That was using the fuji machine. I also got a 11" x 14" which isn't a standard size and they used a big epson thing, the quality sucked in comparison to the fuji. Also have had a lot of 6x4's done, and they turned out great too. I'd recommend them.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby Potatis on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:49 am

I've had some stunning 8x12 prints at harvey norman, Chatswood. They were clear and sharp.
Last edited by Potatis on Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug C.
Potatis

Postby keno on Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:55 pm

For those of you who live in the North Shore in Sydney. Harvey Norman express store is Chatswood is currentlly having promo. To print a 4*6 it cost wait for it 15c per shot. There is no minimum or maximum. Print out 1 or at they price print of 100.

I think they are running the promo cause jb hifi have just opened and also have the 15c deal
keno

Postby whiz on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:07 am

I must admit to using HN for a lot of my prints. Only problems is when they were weird colours once during a Friday the 13th deal when they were 13 cents per 6x4.
Not all of the prints, just some of them.

Also had a chat to the frontier guy when he was teaching the staff how to use the printers new features.

Apparently, no matter what the file format is, it gets converted to Fuji's own RAW format before being printed.
I was told everything gets converted to jpeg, but this was not the case.

I only have the word of the Fuji frontier technician on this, so I'll go with it unless someone has differing information and a higher credibility level.
People put way too much rubbish in signature blocks.

whiz

Postby DanielA on Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:17 pm

FYI. Looks like Harvey Norman is doing 15 cent instore 6x4 prints until 26/Feb/06.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Greg S on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:09 pm

For my money HN is great for the Fuji range of prints but they can't drive their Epson (Lismore store)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nikon D70, 18-70 ED, 70-300G, SB800
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greg S

Postby adam on Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:55 pm

I've only used Harvey Norman once for printing photographs. In about November 2005.

Apart from the bad service (or they were too busy?), I wasn't very happy with the results.
The edge of every photograph I got had a green line.

So, do all the stores use different machines? The one I used, the pictures magically appeared in the cupboard underneath the computer I was using. Maybe I was slow, but there was no instruction telling me that it would appear there, I walked around the shop looking for someone to help me.
adam

Postby rooboy on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:12 pm

AFAIK HN are franchises, and the quality of one store doesn't necessarily reflect on the others.

I've had some prints done in Chatswood (on the Fuji machines) that were quick and excellent, so each to their own :)
So join in the chorus, and sing it one and all!
rooboy

Postby Geoff on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:24 pm

I have made good friends with the ppl at my local HN - service is terrific and the prints are almost ALWAYS fantastic, and if they're not, the girl I know will print them again for me, at no charge. Can't get better than that.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Wocka on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:01 am

I just got back 2 lots of 20 free 6x4 from Hardley Normal @ Balgowlah last night.

I wasn't very impressed with the results. About 15 out of each lot of 20 have come out dark or very high contrast, the rest are fine. Compare this with QFL who I usually use and I have great reults every time I use them.

Cheers,
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Geoff on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:07 am

Wocka wrote:I just got back 2 lots of 20 free 6x4 from Hardley Normal @ Balgowlah last night.

I wasn't very impressed with the results. About 15 out of each lot of 20 have come out dark or very high contrast, the rest are fine. Compare this with QFL who I usually use and I have great reults every time I use them.

Cheers,

That's no good Wocka - i'm sure if you could be bothered (and granted you shouldn't need to be bothered) but if you took them back and said something they'd re-print for you.
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Ree on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:21 am

I get my 16x18 done at the castle hill one in the hills center for $14.95. If I go in the morning the girl always has in ready to go in 10minutes. I dont have a prob using them...saying that wouldn't use my amex the interest rate is 17.something isn't it :?: wow a whole 3% savings :twisted:
Cheers REE :shock:

"If you have time to spare ... go by AIR!"
Ree

Postby Wocka on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:24 am

Geoff,

I have some more free prints to have processed there. Lets hope the next batch come out better.

I also have a voucher for free 6x8. If these don't come out nice, it's not a huge issue as I'm not paying for them ( other than fuel/ time ).

Cheers,
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby adam on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Ok, despite my not-so-good experience, some of the good reports here have helped me think that I should go try it out again some day :) I'll see how it goes :)
adam

Postby Glen on Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:08 pm

rooboy wrote:AFAIK HN are franchises, and the quality of one store doesn't necessarily reflect on the others.

I've had some prints done in Chatswood (on the Fuji machines) that were quick and excellent, so each to their own :)

Spot on Patrick, most aren't aware of that fact
Glen

Postby johnd on Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:11 pm

After queerying some colours in a recent print run from HN, I was told that the little workstations you use to read your CD or card do some "minor colour correction". This stuffed the colours I wanted. When I complained they said, "for you professional photographers, you really need to hand the CD over to us and we'll read it on the Fuji console PC directly". I don't know where they got the idea I was a professional photographer from, but anyway, when I gave him the CD and he read it directly from the console PC, the colours were perfect. The moral of the story is that those little booth workstation thingies screw around with your colours and if you've spend hours getting everything right with PS, you don't want this to happen. Now, I just hand the CD over and give the tech the instructions directly and I'm a lot happier with th results.

Cheers
John
D3, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 85/1.4, 80-400VR, 18-200VR, 105/2.8 VR macro, Sigma 150/2.8 macro
http://www.johndarguephotography.com/
johnd

Postby Geoff on Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:46 pm

johnd wrote:After queerying some colours in a recent print run from HN, I was told that the little workstations you use to read your CD or card do some "minor colour correction". This stuffed the colours I wanted. When I complained they said, "for you professional photographers, you really need to hand the CD over to us and we'll read it on the Fuji console PC directly". I don't know where they got the idea I was a professional photographer from, but anyway, when I gave him the CD and he read it directly from the console PC, the colours were perfect. The moral of the story is that those little booth workstation thingies screw around with your colours and if you've spend hours getting everything right with PS, you don't want this to happen. Now, I just hand the CD over and give the tech the instructions directly and I'm a lot happier with th results.

Cheers
John

EXCELLENT advice John, and this is always what I do - she even lets me go on the 'other side' of the counter, VIP-ish?! :lol:
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Manta on Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:04 pm

I've had good and bad experiences with HN when printing photos. The bad experiences involved very dark prints on two occasions and a shocking sepia cast in images on another. When I queried the problems, the staff member admitted their equipment hadn't been calibrated since it was installed, some six months prior! The Fuji printers apparently run thier own calibrations each morning but his monitors and Epson printer had never been done. I was incredulous that a photo centre could be so lax in this regard.

The other store was spot on colour-wise.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby jberth1 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:30 am

johnd wrote:After queerying some colours in a recent print run from HN, I was told that the little workstations you use to read your CD or card do some "minor colour correction". This stuffed the colours I wanted. When I complained they said, "for you professional photographers, you really need to hand the CD over to us and we'll read it on the Fuji console PC directly". I don't know where they got the idea I was a professional photographer from, but anyway, when I gave him the CD and he read it directly from the console PC, the colours were perfect. The moral of the story is that those little booth workstation thingies screw around with your colours and if you've spend hours getting everything right with PS, you don't want this to happen. Now, I just hand the CD over and give the tech the instructions directly and I'm a lot happier with th results.

Cheers
John

Another issue I had with those little machines was that they didn't recognise aRGB colour space, so I had a heap of prints come out all hazy and brown. The solution was the same as above - hand the CD to the operator and read them in directly. The second run came out fine.

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:37 am

I think regardless of the Lab you take/send your photos to, if you're monitor is not calibrated to their printing machines output, it will potentially be hit & miss anyway.

What you see on your monitor might look great, but if it's not what the printer will see, the photos will look quite different. This can lead you to think that the Lab have stuffed your images up.

Of course, this isn't always the case but in my experience, I've found that mixed results can be had when going to varying Labs.

I generally have all my 6x4's/8x12's printed at Camera House and as long as I PP them properly, they turn out great.....considering the price of course.

I'd think HN would be the same, although it will also depend on the upkeep of their machine and what they do with your images once received.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby HappyFotographer on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:40 pm

The only time I had problems with the prints at Harvey Norman was when I once used their counter machines just to see how they worked. The resulting colours in the images were unsatisfactory, and when I took them back to the store they reprinted them all, including enlagements for no addtional cost.....now I just hand them straight over to the operators.......I get some strange looks, but my images come out the way I want.
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby ozczecho on Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:18 pm

jberth1 wrote:
Another issue I had with those little machines was that they didn't recognise aRGB colour space, so I had a heap of prints come out all hazy and brown. The solution was the same as above - hand the CD to the operator and read them in directly. The second run came out fine.

Cheers

Justin

So if you give the cd to the lady in the white coat behind the counter you can use aRGB?
ozczecho

Postby spaz on Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:27 pm

I was just coming in here to post about HN when I found this thread.

For the black and white shots that I do I find them to be great for keeping printed copies of my work. I print 5x7's with tiny black bars to fill space and the price is reasonable and quality excellent! Not to mention the quick turn around as against sending them off online.

I had a small problem with one of the prints and the guy was more than happy to redo it for me.
spaz

Postby Underload on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:16 pm

Manta wrote: When I queried the problems, the staff member admitted their equipment hadn't been calibrated since it was installed, some six months prior! The Fuji printers apparently run thier own calibrations each morning but his monitors and Epson printer had never been done. I was incredulous that a photo centre could be so lax in this regard.

Sorry for quoting an old post :)

I guess it does depend on where you go. I've had some prints done (but basic stuff) and I think on Wednesdays at the HN store I went to, the machine calibration stuff happens for about an hour or so.

You're right about the store you speak of being lax - that's just slack :?
Underload

Return to Trader Opinions