Kayell in Brisbane

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Kayell in Brisbane

Postby robster on Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:35 pm

Just had to come in and have a moan. I went in there the other day, drove a long way from the coast and had with me two children (young and getting hungry, though well behaved considering).

As soon as I entered, the elder woman behind the counter looked me up and down (I'm relatively young and dressed casual styled) and basically snobbed me. No, she did snob me :)

I was there to purchase lighting equipment, I had a bit of $ to spend, but do you think they even cared? Eventually I approached the elder lady, she looks up at me half hearted and asks if I'd like help. I say yes, she gets me a salesperson. (no pricing on anything in this shop)

Younger girl comes out, my age, similar treatment though more helpful. Fully snooty, though smiling at times, I give her that.

I decided to only purchase 1 thing from them, and that was the item that photocontinental did not have and drove back to photocontinental to finish spending my hard earned dosh...

In summary I found them arrogant, holyer (spelling?!) than thou and elitist.

I'm sure others may have had other experiences, if you were perhaps dressed smarter, had no kids with you and were older?

Back at photocontinental, the young, somewhat dorky but VERY helpful staff helped me unload about $600 worth of my money.

the end.

;)

(glad I got that off my chest, just hate be talked down to)
EOS30D || 50mm 1.8 Canon || 20-70mm 2.8 Sigma || 2 x Speedlites || Potatoshop
http://www.localliquid.com
http://www.10secondclub.net
http://www.surrenderdorothy.com.au
robster

Postby Colcam on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:04 pm

The manager of Kayell asked me to post this reply to the complaint as he knew I was a member:

Kayell Qld Pty Ltd
6/63 Annerley Road
(PO Box 8325)
Woolloongabba Qld 4102

Phone: 07 3844 3411 fax: 07 3844 7311e-mail: kayellqld@kayellqld.com.au

Good Day,

As Managing director, I have read with interest and much concern, some of the comments expressed regarding Kayell Queensland.

As such I take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly to all those people who feel they have been snubbed or unfairly treated in any way shape or form by the staff of Kayell.

I totally agree with the sentiment that not only should one never judge a person by fashion or appearance, arrogance on the part of any supplier in this day and age is not only rude but tantamount to commercial suicide.

I offer no excuses but I’m sure we all have bad days and very often do not realize the affect that our demeanor can have on other people, as has been noted, especially in retail.
Because we specialize in providing practical advice, hands on demonstrations and solutions, our showroom is laid out somewhat differently to general photographic suppliers and on first impression may indeed feel a little uncomfortable. However, our layout is designed to provide for individual consultation, as apposed to off the shelf purchasing, with the primary aim of ensuring that any purchases made are the correct and most suitable tools for the job.

I can assure all forum contributors that Kayell Queensland staff are very much aware of the importance of customer service and trust and look forward to anyone who has not received total satisfaction in the past, seeing fit to giving us another go.

I would also encourage and welcome any complaints or suggestions directly to myself, either in person, or by phone, fax or e-mail.

Yours in Photography,
Keith Neilson
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby wendellt on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:22 pm

i hired lights from Kayell for my fred Bare shoot
after lots of organisation and paperwork i locked it in 1 week before the shoot

usually you have to lock things away 1 month before a shoot as equipment is always rare

whjen i got to Noosa they had lost my paperwork and order, luckily they had the equipment still there ready to go and i organised the night before the shoot for some expensive courier company to get those lights to Noosa ASAP, they were a pain to deal with but in the end it all worked out

But i must mention they forgot to include a key piece of hardware the power cord for the Hensel porty power pack, without this i could not charge the batteries luckily in the hotel room a toaster cord could substitute it - Lucky!!

so i won't trust them again the other option is Dragon Image but they ar eslightly more expensive
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Manta on Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Well, that's two pretty solid strikes so far.

I'm pleased Mr Neilson is aware of the problems. Perhaps he may be able to prevent a third strike but things aren't looking good.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby adam on Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 pm

I was just wondering, I hope it's not off-topic, but wouldn't the manager of Kayell need to be a member to be able to see this post, and so could have posted the reply himself? Only wondering...

Colcam wrote:The manager of Kayell asked me to post this reply to the complaint as he knew I was a member:

Kayell Qld Pty Ltd
6/63 Annerley Road
(PO Box 8325)
Woolloongabba Qld 4102

Phone: 07 3844 3411 fax: 07 3844 7311e-mail: kayellqld@kayellqld.com.au

Good Day,

As Managing director, I have read with interest and much concern, some of the comments expressed regarding Kayell Queensland.

As such I take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly to all those people who feel they have been snubbed or unfairly treated in any way shape or form by the staff of Kayell.

I totally agree with the sentiment that not only should one never judge a person by fashion or appearance, arrogance on the part of any supplier in this day and age is not only rude but tantamount to commercial suicide.

I offer no excuses but I’m sure we all have bad days and very often do not realize the affect that our demeanor can have on other people, as has been noted, especially in retail.
Because we specialize in providing practical advice, hands on demonstrations and solutions, our showroom is laid out somewhat differently to general photographic suppliers and on first impression may indeed feel a little uncomfortable. However, our layout is designed to provide for individual consultation, as apposed to off the shelf purchasing, with the primary aim of ensuring that any purchases made are the correct and most suitable tools for the job.

I can assure all forum contributors that Kayell Queensland staff are very much aware of the importance of customer service and trust and look forward to anyone who has not received total satisfaction in the past, seeing fit to giving us another go.

I would also encourage and welcome any complaints or suggestions directly to myself, either in person, or by phone, fax or e-mail.

Yours in Photography,
Keith Neilson
adam

Postby hdj80 on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Well I have bought from them once.....a used 200/4 Macro lens and they were quick to come and serve me and happy to bargain on the price.

I would buy from Kayell again.
Cheers

Craig
Brisvegas
KM 7D
hdj80

Return to Trader Opinions