Ebayer - Memorymate and SB800

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Ebayer - Memorymate and SB800

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:19 am

Hi, has anyone dealt with ebayer "memorymate"? They seem to be offering SB800s with Australian warranties for $560 plus $16 shipping.

My wife is looking to buy one soon for me for my birthday, and we are undecided about getting a gray import or spending [what is only] $150 or so extra for an Aussie warrantied unit from somewhere like European cameras (Drummoyne).

However, if this person is legit (and their feedback is pretty good), with a local warranty, then we may get it from them.

Feedback appreciated.

Kind regards

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:32 am

Resch's you are at Crows Nest, 5 mins away in North Sydney is DD Photographics, $535 & pick it up yourself :D Good Luck

http://www.d-d-photographics.com/nikonslracc.htm#sb800
Glen

Postby Yi-P on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:33 am

I havent tried them on ebay, but D-D-Photography is selling for the same price on the SB800, its very reputable dealer in Sydney.
Yi-P

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks guys - the reason I posted about the other place is that they were promoting 'Australian warranty'. D-D-Photographics sell grey imports. I don't expect the SB800 to breakdown in the first 12 months, but if it did, it would be nice to know I don't have to send it o/s.

That said, I am planning on picking up a second one in a few months time anyway, which will likely be from D-D-P.

Cheers

P
Reschsmooth

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:58 am

Without having had a look at the link you provided, I'd be careful of 'Australian Warranties' - are these factory backed, or through the reseller?

I know DDD offer a reseller warranty (ie: they'll get it fixed), whereas a shop like Ted's will offer the full Maxwell warranty. Do the people you have been looing at specify exactly what type of warranty they're providing?

I'm probably telling you stuff you already know, but it's something to be aware of :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:05 pm

p

Don't be fooled, Leon has it right :wink:
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Leon & Glen - it was always something that struck me as odd - most other new Nikon products I have seen offered on ebay with a Maxwell warranty actually specified that fact, rather than just an ambiguous 'AU warranty' statement.

This is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

At the end of the day, we don't have a real issue paying $140 more for a local warranty product through someone like European Cameras (they have been recommended through a pro photographer I know).

Cheers

P
Reschsmooth

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:18 pm

Something to think about -

Out of all the people here who have an SB800 I am unaware of any warranty issues that have come up - other than perhaps Wendell, but he's another story ;) . It's probably fair to say that most here who have an SB800 would have purchased from HK (one way or another).

Given those sort of odds, is it worth the extra $140 or so for a true (factory backed) local warranty, given you're talking a large proportion of the total cost for that?
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:21 pm

Had my HK SB800 for 2 years and no problems until I fell on it. Sent it to Maxwell and they repaired it no problem although it was a chargeable repair.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:26 pm

Fair call guys. Looks like we may just go down to North Sydney!

Cheers

P
Reschsmooth

Postby Steffen on Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:37 pm

I decided to get a grey one, for $480 delivered from B&H. So far so good (where's that knock-on-wood smiley?)

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Return to Trader Opinions