Anyone shop at Camera Exchange(Melbourne)

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Anyone shop at Camera Exchange(Melbourne)

Postby redline on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:05 pm

Anyone shop at Camera Exchange(Melbourne)?
I usually buy most of my equipment from here if I can't import it from BHphoto or need it asap . Prices are quite reasonable, compared to the other stores esp. lowepro and second-hand stuff.
Plus you don't get treat like a noob, got this type of treatment from teds in the "pro dept" when i enquired about pocket wizards. "oh those are inferior, we use quantum".
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby dperrett on Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:35 pm

I bought my D70 from 'the camera exchange'. They did the best deal by some distance when i was looking (though birddog trumped their deal not long after i got it). The were great to deal with, very professional. Seemed to me like they were photographers first, salesmen/women 2nd as opposed to what you'd find on elizabeth street.

They also seem to do good deals on manfrotto tripods too from what i have seen.
dperrett

Postby tsanglabs on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:02 pm

Where are they located in melbourne? I find it a pain going into the city?
tsanglabs

Postby bago100 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:25 pm

337 Lonsdale St

http://www.cameraexchange.com.au

As to how good they are, wouldn't have a clue

Hope this helps

Graham
bago100

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:18 pm

I haven't bought anything in there as yet, but I have wandered in for a look a couple of times. I asked about stepping rings on one occasion - the guy went and had a look, reported back that they didn't have, but sent me to a place in Lt Bourke (next to Hardware Lane) where I got what I wanted.

(This compared to the obnoxious guy in Teds who positively sneered at me whan I asked the same question)

Camera Exchange is a bit chaotic, with a good vibe. Recommended for a look.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:21 am

My favourite of all the camera stores in downtown Melbourne.

The people there come across as photographers rather than salesdweebs: always professional, and with a genuine interest in your needs.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:02 am

When I visited Melbourne last October, I called into the Camera Exchange. I must say it is an unusual place with equipment everywhere, especially to the left when you walk in, or may be they had an influx of secondhand equipment during that week. I found the staff very friendly. I too did not buy anything, but next time I Melbourne I will revisit. Most probably in August after the National Convention in Sydney on my way back to Adelaide.

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby genji on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:58 pm

I bought my D70 and a few other goodies at cam exchange. There 2nd hand equipment price is far cheaper than all the others on elizabeth st. Otherwise i goto vanbar, although some sales ppl are next to useless.

I heard that the owners of cam exchange r the same as camera lane. I bought a 2nd hand Nikon FE from Cam lane, and few other manual lens years ago.

cheers
genji

Camera Exhange

Postby David on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

I've found Camera Exhange honest, reliable, and with reasonable prices for OZ buying. But, not nearly as good as buying USA and importing.
However, for a new D70 I reckon you are best buying Oz for the warranty from Maxwells. But I'm not an expert as I stupidly brought in Singapore.
(ECS in Sydney seem to offer good prices too - but I've found them hostile to me returning a foul cigar smelling tripod that I purchased mail order from them. Latter I visited the shop to find it riddled with the same cigar smell. I know that it sounds lopey - but the lingering off odour killed it for me.)
I bought a few lenses and accessories through them, and at the time their prices were good for a commercial house.
Trade-in offers however not so good.
But, the owner is helpful and so is Dave who used to run their shop in Burwood till it closed 1 year ago (approx).
Carl at Camera Lane also good. Often they have good buys in the window display - good for browsing.
David
David

Postby redline on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:37 pm

yeah i heard something like that too, but saying that they were family related in some way. A clue which would suppot this theory is the way the stores are organised; lots of stuff lying around.
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby ajax on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:44 pm

redline,

That's a good place and the owner is quite knowledgable. Re prices etc. you have to compare with ebay and find out. But the man will give good advise and if you take your body (D70) he will let you test the lens and take a few snaps on Lonsdale St.

cheers,
ajit
Hope is immortal...
ajax

Return to Trader Opinions