Kennedy's response on warranty request for US bought lens

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Kennedy's response on warranty request for US bought lens

Postby moz on Tue May 02, 2006 8:11 pm

I've got a Sigma 18-50/2.8 that works fine on my 300D but Err99's on my 30D (that's newer than the lens). After talking to a few people here I emailed CR Kennedy and they initally said:
There should not be any need for the 18-50/2.8 DC lens to be re-chipped as it should be compatible with current EOS DSLRs. We suggest that you contact BHPhoto to rectify this fault for you under their warranty.

I went back with the international warranty story and confirmed that I mail ordered it from the US, and just got this reply:
International warranty applies as long as it is in accordance with trading laws of the relevant country (in this case Australia). The person/s, group, company etc who imports the goods is responsible for the warranty service of that item/s. Therefore international warranty does not apply in this case. However, as a gesture of goodwill, we will assess your error 99 under warranty. Should the cause of the fault not relating to chip upgrade, we will return your lens to you unrepaired so that you can follow up the issue with B&H Photo. Please ensure that you state which model EOS body you are using when sending your lens.

I'm curious as to what they think an international warranty actually is - only covers people who travel with then lens, perhaps? I wonder if I got future purchases delivered to a US address and reshipped by friends, they might be happier?

So I'll be dropping it in soon and we shall see what happens. Any hints before I take it in?
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 02, 2006 8:15 pm

Moz,
Their replies are not strange to me and always they're! :twisted:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby terminator on Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 pm

I`ve got to get my 70-200 2.8 re chipped to work with my D200 AF button.
Do Sigma do repairs in Sydney or in Melbourne?
I got mine grey market and they said they would re chip it.
I didn`t tell them that though.
Termy,
http://www.glennlegge.com
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)
terminator

Postby moz on Tue May 02, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks Birdy, you're a great reassurance. I'm going to give it a shot and hope for the best.

Service is apparently in Melbun, but the nice man says I can drop it in to Sydney.

You can book your lens in at our Sydney office or send direct to our National Service centre here in Melbourne. Please find the following addresses copied from our website.

Head Offices
VICTORIA
663 Chapel Street
South Yarra VIC 3141
Tel: 03 - 9823 - 1555
Fax: 03 - 9827 - 7213

Branch Offices
NEW SOUTH WALES
108-114 Miller Street
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Tel: 02 - 9552 - 8300
Fax: 02 - 9552 - 8399
moz

Postby moz on Thu May 18, 2006 11:27 am

Just got the lens back. I imagine it's been fixed and I'll be shooting a lot with it in the next week or so to find out. No charge and a pretty fast turn-around. I'm happy :)
moz

Return to Trader Opinions