Info on HK Supplies

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Info on HK Supplies

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:34 am

Ok, I have been very happy with the service (obviously) and also the prices... However just thought I better share this with people so they are aware.

I am waiting on A D70 body, 28 - 120VR lens & 85mm lens.

The order came into customs on Friday and has been sitting there ever since. I got a call from Fed Ex this morning saying that this company (HK Supplies) were under investigation from customs and ALL parcels are being held up from this sender.

I then needed to send FedEx proof of how much I had paid for the equipment so that I can pay the GST and get the parcel realesed.

Please note that I am just letting everyone know excactly what happened. If any of the above is incorrect (in regards to the investigation) then it was incorreclt stated to me by FedEX.

Now I just hope my parcel actually get's delivered :?

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:45 am

Oh dear... :( Sorry to hear of this Woody, and I'm sure it means bad news for HKSupplies too.

Wild speculation and potential defamatory comment: What's the possibility that an employee or representative of Australia's official Nikon distro tipped off customs?
Onyx

Postby petal666 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:46 am

Interesting indeed and unfortunate.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:52 am

Onyx wrote:Oh dear... :( Sorry to hear of this Woody, and I'm sure it means bad news for HKSupplies too.

Yes, I am sure it does :(
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Greg B on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:40 am

Mr Poon may need to establish an alternative originator name.

Onyx, I suspect that your speculation may not be wide of the mark.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:40 am

Woody, sorry to hear you lost this game of poker.

Onyx, my guess is it would be a result of ebay ads by many suppliers stating "no gst". There is a stack of HK based companies stating that.

To all, I don't believe there is any reason to get alarmed here. It sounds like they are targetting HK based companies for a bit, but really it is a lottery, as I am aware a D70 in the same container from Mr Poon got through so it really is random. These are still good prices with GST paid, but as alawys one would prefer not to. As stated there are two ways to order here, one is by ordering personally and taking the gamble (still a viable option in my books) and second is ordering and paying the GST which also works, though better for some than others. I think we all have to keep in mind there is a risk that GST has to be paid. One other thing worth thinking about on larger orders with multiple lenses and camera body it may be worth splitting the order to reduce the risk or downside when inspected. I still have one order coming ( a Gitzo) with a couple more, SB800, etc in the next few weeks or so and am quite confident my final price will be acceptable.
Glen

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:43 am

Just to clarify...

I don't mind paying the GST.. I just hope there is no reason that I won't get the order.

I have had to fax FedEx a breakdown of each individual item so hopefully this should satisfy them and my order will be sent through.

My intention wa not to alarm anyone or make negative comments in regards to HKSupplies o Mr Poon, just to let people knwo what to expect.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:05 am

Sorry to hear of this problem Woody especially only days before christmas.

In my case, if this should happen, I can claim gst back so it is not so much of a worry.

Let’s face it Maxwell have a rrp on the 24-120VR of $1519.00 which means 2 things - their profit would appear to be very high (Nikon is Nikon) and they are probably getting the proverbials with so many grey imports. Maybe it’s about time OZ companies face up to the fact that we live in a free world and we spend our money how we wish and if we want to save our hard earned bucks by importing then let it be so.

Even with gst imposed on grey imports they are way below the local price.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Mj on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:06 am

WOODY wrote:to let people know what to expect

... quite right for you to do so Woody... after all sharing info like this is a key part of the forum.

Michael.
Mj

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:13 am

All,

What Glen said.

The real issue is not the GST, but the price that we're paying for the goods, including shipping, ex-HK, and the comparison of that price with what the street price is here in Oz. It's always been known that GST may have to be added to the ex-HK prices, depending upon the luck of the draw at Oz Customs, and that's entirely acceptable.

But if someone lists a lens for AU$3K that we can buy in HK for about half that price, then it's a matter of from whom you prefer to buy, along with issues such as warranty and delivery time.

Given that many need to go to some effort to buy the goods locally (how many stores here carry the more exotic glass?) the time factor involved in ordering from HK is often largely irrelevant. Given that Poon is prepared to warrant to goods he sells, and that speed of delivery to and from HK is probably no worse than within Oz (and perhaps may even be better) an informed buyer should be able to make his or her decisions safe in the knowledge that any purchase they will be a satisfactory one, regardless of the source of the product.

I would certainly not condone anyone breaking the laws, but I certainly accept that it's up to those officials charged with enforcing those laws to perform their jobs professionally and reasonably, and to the best of their ability.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:19 am

Chris,

sirhc55 wrote:Let’s face it Maxwell have a rrp on the 24-120VR of $1519.00 which means 2 things - their profit would appear to be very high (Nikon is Nikon) and they are probably getting the proverbials with so many grey imports. Maybe it’s about time OZ companies face up to the fact that we live in a free world and we spend our money how we wish and if we want to save our hard earned bucks by importing then let it be so.

Precisely so. I for one am well and truly sick and tired of being bled dry by the corporate sector who so frequently treat their customers with contempt. Look at the price of Sony laptop batteries, for instance. Outrageous, and enought to tell me that Sony disrespect me so much as a customer of theirs that I no longer wish to use them as a supplier!

Even with gst imposed on grey imports they are way below the local price.

And that is the bottom line. Anyone purchasing something overseas must consider the final landed cost of what they're purchasing as the price with GST added; to do otherwise would be foolish.

If the authorities, for whatever reason, fail to impose GST, that is simply your good luck.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bago100 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:26 am

I think this is just a GST thing

A friend who lives and Sydney, and I, a Brisbane resident received a complimentary copy of software from the United Kingdom in return for our beta testing labours.

Mine got through without paying GST, while his was selected for GST payment. There was a problem because of the nature of the 'complimentary' copy and it took a while of argument with customs, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, customs are probably having a crackdown on the huge flow of goods from outside OZ. This will continue because consumers are realising that prices for some goods are much cheaper offshore, even if one happens to cop a GST bill.

The Internet has dramattically lowered distribution costs for many companies and in a competitive environment where there is intense competition, these savings are passed on to consumers. Look at airfares for example.

By the same token though, we should not complain when our jobs go offshore because there are workers in other countries willing to do our jobs for a much cheaper labour rate than is paid here.

OK - let the argument begin folks! :D

Sorry you have to pay GST Woody. Never mind, you still have a bargain!!

Graham
bago100

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:54 am

bago100 wrote:
Sorry you have to pay GST Woody. Never mind, you still have a bargain!!

Graham

Yep, as stated before I am MORE than happy to pay GST as I am still saving well over $1000.00 on the products.

I hope everyone took this post as it was intended.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:05 pm

Graham,

bago100 wrote:By the same token though, we should not complain when our jobs go offshore because there are workers in other countries willing to do our jobs for a much cheaper labour rate than is paid here.

While I don't want this thread to be hijacked with this sort of discussion (feel free to kick off another thread if you wish) I think that the other side of that coin relates to immigration and employment, and how, for instance, an accident of birth (being born in, say, India, Mexico, or Australia) means that it's damn hard for you to get employment in, for instance, the USA.

While I've deliberately chosen those countries, there are similar issues for immigrants from many countries into Australia.

Damn! Someone left a can of worms all over the forums! :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:07 pm

[quote="W00DYI hope everyone took this post as it was intended.[/quote]

Woody,

From the posts I've seen thius far, I don't think that there's too much risk that anyone's taken your post the wrong way; I'm pretty sure that we're all in absolute agreement with you, and we're just reaffirming that.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Woody. It made me check the tracking for my 24-120 VR, which left HK on Friday, and this is the latest: "Your item was processed in the handling centre (SYDNEY) at 11:04 on 20 Dec 2004 and is scheduled for delivery". I've had no calls or anything, so I don't think it's all doom and gloom just yet.

As Glen stated above (for anyone who isn't 100% clear), the ways of ordering from HKSupplies are outlined here. You can order from HKS themselves, and take the chance of not being charged GST (this is hit and miss though, as we can see, so bank on being charged). If you're charged GST, it probably means a small extra delay. The other way is to order through Dancom, where you pay GST. You get a Tax Invoice, and can claim GST back if it's for your business, or via the Tourist Refund Scheme if applicable.

Thanks for posting this Woody, if nothing else it might make people aware that sometimes you do get charged GST, and we can't just assume that we won't.
MCWB

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:20 pm

Just a little more info for our users... Once again this is not intended to scare or alarm anyone just a FYI...

I was on the phone to FedEX asking about the procedure I need to do to get my equipment realesed from customs. Anyway he was a nice bloke so we got talking about the Law on customs etc... & he mentioned that if Customs wanted to they could come after ME as I am the importer :)

Well this took me by surprise (however now thinking about it, it doesn't really). He also said that this would be very rare and I would need to have a history of importing things under value.

Maybe anyone here can confirm / decline this information? Anyone know custom law?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby bago100 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:20 pm

gstark wrote:Graham,

bago100 wrote:By the same token though, we should not complain when our jobs go offshore because there are workers in other countries willing to do our jobs for a much cheaper labour rate than is paid here.

While I don't want this thread to be hijacked with this sort of discussion (feel free to kick off another thread if you wish) I think that the other side of that coin relates to immigration and employment, and how, for instance, an accident of birth (being born in, say, India, Mexico, or Australia) means that it's damn hard for you to get employment in, for instance, the USA.

While I've deliberately chosen those countries, there are similar issues for immigrants from many countries into Australia.

Damn! Someone left a can of worms all over the forums! :)

Hi Gary
We might leave it there as you wisely suggest! :D :D
Let's stick to the photographic stuff and leave all else alone, except for the Coopers beer appreciation society, Volvo worship or bashing as the case may be, Kippers exciting France trip, Guitar playing, air or otherwise, and all the other things that make this forum great.
Cheers
Graham
bago100

Postby Maximus on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:33 pm

I knew I should have ordered earlier....*sigh*
Maximus

Postby Glen on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:47 pm

Maximus, order after Christmas, by then all the relief customs officers called in for the Christmas rush will have gone, the permanents are on leave and everthing will have an easier path through. Still a gamble, but the odds will have moved a little in your favour :D
Glen

Postby Mj on Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:49 pm

gstark wrote:From the posts I've seen thus far, I don't think that there's too much risk that anyone's taken your post the wrong way;

mmm... maybe I should take everything Woody has written 'in the wrong way' just to be entertaining???
Mj

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:02 pm

W00DY wrote:he mentioned that if Customs wanted to they could come after ME as I am the importer :)

Well this took me by surprise (however now thinking about it, it doesn't really). He also said that this would be very rare and I would need to have a history of importing things under value.

Maybe anyone here can confirm / decline this information? Anyone know custom law?

Without knowledge of the customs law, this sounds totally reasonable to me.

Compare the situation with when you're returning from an OS trip with a handful of goodies. Customs will assess the value of those goodies at your point of entry; your choices are to up the ante and pay the asking (GST) or forfeit the goods.

This is no different at all.

If there's sufficient GST to be collected on your goods (and a Au$400 SB800 pribably wouldn't attract GST, while a Au$700 24-120VR would be borderline) then they will ask you to pay.

It's always your choice to pay or refuse, but refusal means that would you forfeit the goods, to be later sold at auction.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:35 pm

gstark wrote:while a Au$700 24-120VR would be borderline

WHAT!!!!!!!

Who woudl pay THAT much for a 24 - 120VR lens??? Sheesh no more $550.00 for me :mrgreen:

Woody
Andrew
W00DY

HKSupplies

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:48 pm

Hi All
I am in the same boat as Woody - my package is "redlined" at Customs waiting for proof of actual purchase price, and GST will be levied on that if applicable.

I need to say that, despite this minor delay in getting my goodies (2 pieces of Nikon glass), I am not unhappy in the slightest with dealing with Poon.

But most of all, I want to thank Thanh (Birddog) who has helped we members establish a reliable supplier who can provide our lusted-after camera gear at an extremely attractive price. His blood is worth bottling, because he has put a huge amount of his own time & effort into this facility.

I don't think there is any need for members to be alarmed. GST is an incidental cost in the scheme of things, and I was only ever interested in not lining the coffers of Maxwell, who have established a monopoly on Nikon equipment in Australian retail outlets.

Trevor
the foto fanatic

Postby petal666 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:49 pm

W00DY wrote:

WHAT!!!!!!!

Who woudl pay THAT much for a 24 - 120VR lens??? Sheesh no more $550.00 for me :mrgreen:

Woody

Still borderline. The GST will be $55 and the lower limit before they can charge you is $50 (total GST, customs duty etc)
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby birddog114 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:54 pm

W00DY wrote:

WHAT!!!!!!!

Woody

Woody,
The price for a brand new 24-120VR with Maxwell stock is $1095.00 on ECS web site/ Vanbar has it on special for $1208.60 GST Inc.

The AU$550.00 is the price from Poon direct to you as HIS WHOLESALE's price to his dealers in Europe and to me but I passed it to members as the nature of my works, So you're damm lucky to get that price :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:17 pm

W00DY wrote:

WHAT!!!!!!!

Who woudl pay THAT much for a 24 - 120VR lens??? Sheesh no more $550.00 for me

I'm using what I believe are reasonable retail values for the product in question. If You're able to arrange a better deal through, for instance, Birddog's personal generosity, then all the better for you.

But don't overlook the fact that prices are also subject to currency fluctuations, and yesterday's price might be exactly that: yesterday's price.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby W00DY on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:39 pm

W00DY wrote:

WHAT!!!!!!!

Woody

OK just so everyone knows I was only joking in the above post.

I realise how cheap i am getting this lens (Birddog knows how appreciative I am) and I realise what prices you were quoting gary.

I really have to work on getting my point across better in posts :)

cricketfan wrote:I need to say that, despite this minor delay in getting my goodies (2 pieces of Nikon glass), I am not unhappy in the slightest with dealing with Poon.

I am 100% happy to deal with Mr Poon and Birddog. I have in the past ans I will in the future.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:32 pm

Looking at other posts on this matter it looks as if christmas is NOT the time to order from O/S.

It reminds me of the airlines - if I want to go to the UK for christmas the fare is at a maximum - even tho it’s bloody freezing over there.

Likewise with customs they hit harder at christmas coz there’s money to made out of the pleasures of the season.

We live and learn

Chris PS I hope that everyone who is waiting on their goodies get them in time for christmas.
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:09 pm

I re-post here with my experiences in dealing with these situations

I’ve just received two packages from HK Supplies this morning, one of them was shipped last week it was redlined same as your packages. It was declared US$195.00 on its invoice.

I rang them last week on Friday and was asked same paper works to fax to them as your cases and I mentioned I agree to pay GST portion on delivery.

Just arrived and I paid $86.00 for GST and $56.00 for Customs processing fees. These are for our members, who placed their order last week.
- 01 x 12-24Dx lens
- 10 x 77mm filters
- 05 x ML-L3 remote
- 01 x Nikon SD-8 battery pack

The other package was shipped on Monday with the D70+kit lens + 2 other lenses: 70-200VR + 180mm, was declared at the lowest value, gone thru without any incidents and arrived same time.

Hope you guys will receive yours soon, I’m feeling very sorry for all the delays.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:43 pm

Birddog don't feel bad about the delays they are totally out of your hands. You have been very helpful during the order.

I have just got a call from fedex and have paid $82.39 in taxes and the order will be delivered tomorrow (I did have the option of picking it up today if needed). I wonder how they work out the amount we have to pay as it seems very inconsistent.

Looking forward to playing with my new piece of glass tomorrow night :)

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 pm

Woody, pleased it is over for you, and you will have it before christmas. I must say $83 in gst seems a bargain for a D70, 24-120 and 85. Congratulations

I now have the waiting game for my Gitzo, will keep all informed how it goes (though prepared for either result, it is a bargain either way and unavailable here)
Glen

Postby petal666 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:35 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I’ve just received two packages from HK Supplies this morning, one of them was shipped last week it was redlined same as your packages. It was declared US$195.00 on its invoice.

Just arrived and I paid $86.00 for GST and $56.00 for Customs processing fees. These are for our members, who placed their order last week.
- 01 x 12-24Dx lens
- 10 x 77mm filters
- 05 x ML-L3 remote

So the declared value is being grossly understated then. Customs has every right to jump up and down about it in that case.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:15 pm

petal666 wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:I’ve just received two packages from HK Supplies this morning, one of them was shipped last week it was redlined same as your packages. It was declared US$195.00 on its invoice.

- 01 x 12-24Dx lens
- 10 x 77mm filters
- 05 x ML-L3 remote

So the declared value is being grossly understated then. Customs has every right to jump up and down about it in that case.

Petal666,
They have all the rights to hold the goods/ order and impose GST on it.
If people agreed to pay GST, then will walk away with a big smile.
They did not care much, just want to know the real value of the order and tax on it.
I deal with Customs on daily basic at International AP same as AP International Gateway at Granville for my main biz same as this hobby job and am always have my big smile :D when talk to them. Sometimes you have to play dumb and paid and go, that's it!
Be patience and cool once you landed yourself in these situation.
They can't do nothing with your shipper or vendor and only want to talk to you and giving you the payable figure, sorry there's no excuse and no please explain.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:58 pm

Good advice Birddog, will use it when I get my Gitzo. By the way, I have the dum look mastered, just look at my profile picture :wink:
Glen

Postby petal666 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:14 pm

yeah, playing dumb and not complaining would probably work best.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:26 pm

Petal, will report back on the dumb technique in the next couple of days, but I think it is probably the best way. Plus a big smile (lots of cleavage would also help, but not my cleavage!)
Glen

Postby Onyx on Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:44 pm

From grade A pecs to size A manboobs. Yep, cleavage don't work for us men, no matter what... ;)
Onyx

Postby MCWB on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:00 pm

Well I finally recieved my 24-120 VR, no thanks to the muppets at Auspost.

If anyone's interested, here's the process blow by blow:

Fri 17 Dec 2004 16:22 - HK - CWB : Item Lodged
Fri 17 Dec 2004 22:18 - HK - HKG : Processed for despatch.
Sat 18 Dec 2004 15:10 - SYD : Received and awaiting clearance for delivery.
Mon 20 Dec 2004 11:04 - SYD : Scheduled for delivery.
Mon 20 Dec 2004 15:25 - SYD : received in the Sydney Contractor delivery hub

Superb service thus far! So you would think I'd have received it Tuesday, as Birddog did for his items that were on the same plane. Bzzzt.

Tue 21 Dec 1645: I rang Auspost to inquire where my item was, and was told "Deliveries may arrive as late as 6 pm." Hmm. OK whatever, but I didn't hold much hope of getting it. My lack of hope was not misplaced. :P
Wed 22 Dec 0900: Checked the mailbox, no card. Rang Auspost again, the guy said he'd send an email and find out where it was, then ring me back.
Wed 22 Dec 1115: Got tired of waiting for a phone call, and called Auspost again. Was told "It's been released to the hub today, you should have it Thursday or Friday". So 1 working day to get from HK to Sydney and clear customs, then four days to get 20 km from Granville to me? Not happy Jan!
Wed 22 Dec 1130 Checked mailbox, no card. I then visited my local post office, who phoned Auspost on the same number I'd been calling. She addressed herself as "XX from YY Post Ofice", and was promptly told that the parcel was sitting at Kingsgrove Post Office!
Wed 22 Dec 1145 I went Kingsgrove P.O. and picked it up in person. :)
Wed 22 Dec 1300 The postie arrived, and with the rest of the mail I receive a "We tried to deliver your parcel 22/12/04, please collect your parcel from Kingsgrove Post OFfice within 5 days". LOL, you what? I was already playing with my new toy when you 'tried to deliver it'. :P

I love this thing, the VR is amazing! :D
MCWB

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:55 pm

Pleased you had a good result, MCWB
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:56 pm

MCWB wrote:I love this thing, the VR is amazing! :D

You're being very unkind to muppets, you know.

But isn't it just the sweetest lens?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:08 pm

gstark wrote:But isn't it just the sweetest lens?
I'm blown away. I just snapped a pic at 120 mm, 0.4 s, f/5.6, ISO200, indoors with no flash and VR on, and it's sharp. Incredible. :shock: I'm not so angry at Auspost now, because I'm just soo happy with the lens! :D
MCWB

Postby Onyx on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:25 pm

MCWB - perhaps you should return to the post office with the card that stated they tried to deliver bla bla... there could be another 24-120 waiting for you, ya never know! ;)
Onyx

Postby W00DY on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:29 pm

I have all my gear :)

After paying the duty my sister in law picked up her D70 body & 85mm lens and also my 24 - 120VR lens.

Like MCWB I can not get over this lens!!! I have only snapped about 5 images with it but all were at 1/20th indorrs and they were VERY sharp.

Look forward to walking around with this lens from now on.

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Great news Woody, glad you got it before Christmas :D
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:33 pm

So christmas WILL be great Woody

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby W00DY on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:44 pm

sirhc55 wrote:So christmas WILL be great Woody

Chris

Xmas is always great (now we have kids) but it will make it better :)
Andrew
W00DY

And the story endeth....(finally)

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:26 am

Santa Claus visited me yesterday, and he was driving a FedEx truck! :D

Around 3:00pm, when I was resigning myself to having to wait until after Christmas, Santa arrived with my presents. (Thanks to all the help from Birddog and Poon).

Yes, there was a bit of a saga. The goods arrived in Sydney on 16 December, and were held up in Customs until 23 December. As with Woody's package, Customs wanted to see proof of actual purchase cost, which I was able to supply on 20 December, after the weekend. It then took until 23 December for Customs to release it (after I paid GST of $88.11). I think that was mainly due to the volumes at this time of the year. BTW, most of it comes from HKSupplies :lol:

Because we had 12 people for dinner last night, I still haven't had either of the lenses, 12-24 DX & 70-200 VR, on my camera, but I'm going to do that now. Expect some images shortly.

Oh, and would I buy from Birddog & Mr Poon again?
Just as soon as I have a couple of dollars to spare. :lol:
the foto fanatic

Postby birddog114 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:42 am

Cricketfan,
Congrat and glad to hear you have your pressies at last.
When you have time, can you post the itemized bill from FedEx, a little bit of mysteries there on $88.11 charged.
Merry Xmas
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:04 am

Birddog114 wrote:When you have time, can you post the itemized bill from FedEx, a little bit of mysteries there on $88.11 charged.

Birddog
No sign of any bill from FedEx itemising GST. Don't know how it was calculated.
Merry Christmas :)
the foto fanatic

Next

Return to Trader Opinions