D200 on eBay (Australia) for $2399 - Thoughts?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

D200 on eBay (Australia) for $2399 - Thoughts?

Postby Hybrid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:44 pm

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I came across this earlier:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Nikon-D200-D ... dZViewItem

D200 for $2399 with International Warranty (I didn't think Nikon gave these sorts of warranties on camera bodies?).

What do you all think? A little too good to be true?

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby Geoff on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:46 pm

I have also been looking at this for a while.
I am pondering that if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby NikonUser on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:47 pm

My concern would be:

Why do they have a 'private' feedback list?

EDIT: Just clicked on the link... .plenty of negative feedback there!!

Paul
Last edited by NikonUser on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.australiandigitalphotography.com

Living in poverty due to my addiction to NIKON... Is there a clinic that can help me?
NikonUser

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:49 pm

Most of their other cameras are brought in from the US - I would most categorically say that these are grey units.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Re: D200 on eBay (Australia) for $2399 - Thoughts?

Postby johndec on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:55 pm

Hybrid wrote:D200 for $2399 with International Warranty (I didn't think Nikon gave these sorts of warranties on camera bodies?).

That means Maxwells wont hellp you if you have a problem :!:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby shutterbug on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:59 pm

pay another $200 you get maxwell stock :wink:
shutterbug

Postby Hybrid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks guys - the private feedback list is definitely suspicious and while they seem to have a lot of positive sales, it's a worry to see that many negatives and not know what the story is...

@johndec - So in other words, there is no such thing as a true international warranty if Maxwell's won't touch it?

Of course the question is, how much extra is it worth paying to have Maxwell's look at it...? Hmm... Tough one.
Hybrid

Postby Hybrid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:06 pm

shutterbug wrote:pay another $200 you get maxwell stock :wink:

Well, I'm going to NZ in a just under month's time so I might do that and get the GST back from the TRS. Then again, if the other camera has GST on it also, it theoretically could allow the same thing...

I just wish Maxwell's didn't have such a monopoly on Nikon gear.
Hybrid

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Hybrid - you will need some form of purchase receipt to get back TRS and you will not get that from this ebayer IMO :wink:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:28 pm

It's a pre-order for delivery by end Jan...

Also don't immediately discount the seller's claims of an international warranty (at the same time don't read it as though the following is precisely the case): it could theoretically be possible thru one of the third party vendors that sells aftermarket warranties on electronic items (including cameras), and which could possibly have international coverage.
Onyx

Postby Hybrid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:02 pm

sirhc55 - Good point. I've sent a question asking about a tax receipt and also about the warranty and who provides it (and where exactly I'd have to send the camera). This is what it says on the ebay page: "THIS IS NOT A SELLER OR DEALER WARRANTY. It is a contractual warranty in your name and you will NOT have to send the equipment abroad for servicing or repair."

Onyx - I noticed that it was a pre-order and that's another issue - I really want to have the camera before I go to NZ... Hopefully I'll get an answer to my question about the international warranty soon.

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby Glen on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:44 pm

Whats wrong with Birddog? Great backup from someone we all know for a very modest premium.

Many people talk about Ebay as if it was a brand with reputation behind it, but in some cases you are purchasing from someone with a notebook on their lap in the loungeroom. In this case the guy can't even keep all his clients happy, glad I am not one!
Last edited by Glen on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen

Postby johndec on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Hybrid wrote:Thanks guys - the private feedback list is definitely suspicious and while they seem to have a lot of positive sales, it's a worry to see that many negatives and not know what the story is...

@johndec - So in other words, there is no such thing as a true international warranty if Maxwell's won't touch it?

Of course the question is, how much extra is it worth paying to have Maxwell's look at it...? Hmm... Tough one.

Maxwells cast iron policy is that if it isn't official stock distributed by them, they will not service or repair it under warranty.
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Hybrid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:19 pm

Glen wrote:Whats wrong with Birddog? Great backup from someone we all know for a very modest premium.

Nothing at all :-) I just always try to cover all options when making a major purchase and I was curious about this one... I wasn't seriously considering it. Interestingly I see 2 more of been sold since I posted this thread...

johndec - thanks for confirming that...

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby Glen on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:57 am

Stephen, a great idea to check all options.

The reason for my comments was I had a drink recently with a girl who used to work for the PR company who worked for Ebay, she said the number one job was to promote Ebay followed very closely by reassuring people Ebay was safe as there was so many bad news stories about Ebay. She acknowledged there are thousands of complaints and scams every week, which just to be clear, is only a small proportion of sales, but these are real problems and real scams.

Her job was to present Ebay as a safe brand like Myers or David Jones, but in many cases it is no safer than buying from a garage sale. In fact it is less safe than a garage sale, as with a garage sale you know where the individual lives, whilst many hide behind the anonymity of Ebay. Most would laugh if we found out someone purchased their D200 at a garage sale, but in fact it is safer than Ebay! :lol:

These are complex electronic devices which are likely to need service. Many cameras here have had needed a repair of some sort. Just to give you an idea, I will start a poll. The problem with Ebay feedback is that it is at the point of arrival, not after one year of supposed warranty. So all it really says is that the item arrived, not how the individual dealt with any warranty problems, say nine months after the sale. Personally, a guy who has any problems just delivering the gear is not someone I want to be dealing with on a warranty problem 50 weeks after he has banked the money.

Sorry for all the information, but in the case of an expensive electronic purchase it is better to be forewarned. :D
Glen

Postby Hybrid on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:42 am

Glen,

Thanks for the extra insight and advice - I have now gone completely off the idea of eBay. Just too many risks, as you point out. I also don't think I'll be looking for any garage sales with D200's :lol:

I saw the poll you started and have replied to it. It will be interesting to see what the overall results are...

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby shutterbug on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:14 pm

I am confussed :?

Why are you even considering the Ebay one when maxwell stock is only $2600 :?:
shutterbug

Postby marc on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:01 pm

by Johndec ...Maxwells cast iron policy is that if it isn't official stock distributed by them, they will not service or repair it under warranty.

Rubbish!
Have had my D70s checked out. NO PROBS and no cost
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby RICPIC on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:49 pm

i've done OK on Ebay; bought most of my stuff there and saved some money. the catch is, as spoken about earlier, that warrantys are pretty useless, you just have to cop that.

i'm looking at the $2399 D200. When feedback for the cameras they've already sold (delivery late January) comes in we'll see. but by then the D70 that i'm hoping to offload to offset cost will be worth 30% less
D200, 12-24DX, 28-70/2.8, 80-200/2.8, 105M/2.8, SB800, Rollei 2.8F
RICPIC

Postby Glen on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Ricpic, when you get to 50 meaningful posts and post an image you are eligible to purchase at members prices
Glen

Postby Hybrid on Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:05 pm

shutterbug wrote:I am confussed :?

Why are you even considering the Ebay one when maxwell stock is only $2600 :?:

Like I said to Glen, I'm just investigating all options - I always do for large purchases and so far, so good... Also, with "only" $200 saved, I could buy a CF card or two.

I'm interested to hear contrary information about Maxwell's... Maybe it just depends on the day and who you get. Just keep trying until you get the answer you want :P PS Glen - only 1 more post and a photo to go for me :)

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby johndec on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:38 pm

marc wrote:
by Johndec ...Maxwells cast iron policy is that if it isn't official stock distributed by them, they will not service or repair it under warranty.

Rubbish!
Have had my D70s checked out. NO PROBS and no cost

What is the first digit of the serial number of your D70s :?:
johndec

Postby marc on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:35 pm

2(023290)
Was purchased from HK
D4|D3S|D700+MB-D10| 14-24 |24-70|70-200 f/2.8 VRII|70-200 f/4 VR|80-400 AF-S|500VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC's 1.4,1.7E & 2.0III|SB 900
marc

Postby johndec on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50 pm

marc wrote:2(023290)
Was purchased from HK

I conceed. You've done well if it was a grey import. If you purchased it in HK and had a HK receipt that may be a different story as they could backcharge Nikon for any warranty work done.
johndec

Postby Hybrid on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 pm

A follow up to this thread now that the auction has ended (and all D200's appear to have been sold) - the e-mail I sent asking about the warranty and tax received no reply, which is not a good sign. If they don't reply to a sales enquiry, I wouldn't hold out much hope for them replying to a problem after the fact.

Thanks everyone for your input on this... I'm almost certainly going to get a Maxwell stock D200 - just a matter of finding someone that has one for a reasonable price before I go to NZ.

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby Glen on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Stephen, no reply because once you read the answer you wont buy anyway. If you are smart enough to ask you will know what the answer means. Glad you were saved any hassle.
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:27 pm

I purchased both my D70 and D2Hs through eBay - if you are aware of warranty issues on grey imports then it is not a problem.

Any product that is not imported by the official distributor is deemed grey. You will always know what products are grey on eBay by their pricing :wink:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Hybrid on Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:11 am

Glen wrote:Stephen, no reply because once you read the answer you wont buy anyway. If you are smart enough to ask you will know what the answer means. Glad you were saved any hassle.

Thanks Glen, I think you're absolutely right :)

sirhc55 wrote:I purchased both my D70 and D2Hs through eBay - if you are aware of warranty issues on grey imports then it is not a problem.

Any product that is not imported by the official distributor is deemed grey. You will always know what products are grey on eBay by their pricing :wink:

I'm curious to know what your experience has been buying grey - what do you do when (if?) your cameras need to be repaired under warranty? Just send them back their country of origin? No problems?

The reason I'm interested to know is that the other purchase I hope to make is the 70-200VR and I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should go grey... :?

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Postby Onyx on Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:08 am

sirhc55 wrote:Any product that is not imported by the official distributor is deemed grey.

Precisely Chris. And with all the negativity flung at Maxwells for their exorbitant price gounging tactics, I wonder why when given cheaper alternatives people still insist on lining Maxwells' pockets with their hard earned dollars. It won't bring any changes to the status quo if we complain any louder about their prices but still keep supporting the monopoly.

Like Marc, I've had my D70 repaired by Maxwells under warranty. It was definitely not purchased from a Maxwell distributor.... not one item in my posession is.
Onyx

Postby ipv6ready on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:03 am

Onyx wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:Any product that is not imported by the official distributor is deemed grey.

Precisely Chris. And with all the negativity flung at Maxwells for their exorbitant price gounging tactics, I wonder why when given cheaper alternatives people still insist on lining Maxwells' pockets with their hard earned dollars. It won't bring any changes to the status quo if we complain any louder about their prices but still keep supporting the monopoly.

Like Marc, I've had my D70 repaired by Maxwells under warranty. It was definitely not purchased from a Maxwell distributor.... not one item in my posession is.

as for buyng grey why not.. even on the off chance you have to pay GST/Duty its still cheaper.

Secondhand its usually way cheaper then maxwell stock when factoring a return airmail if required for repairs. buy from refutable sellers!!!

But always remember you can have peace of mind buying grey from Birdy as well :D
I'm back
D3s D700 D200, SB-900, SB-800 x2, SB-600 x4
ipv6ready

Postby ipv6ready on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:09 am

johndec wrote:
marc wrote:2(023290)
Was purchased from HK

I conceed. You've done well if it was a grey import. If you purchased it in HK and had a HK receipt that may be a different story as they could backcharge Nikon for any warranty work done.

Same with my D100. Warranty repair for a US Camera out of Warranty :D

I guess its luck
I'm back
D3s D700 D200, SB-900, SB-800 x2, SB-600 x4
ipv6ready

Postby Glen on Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:26 am

Buying Grey is a different thing to buying from Ebay. I would suggest that if the price differential is enough grey is worth it. Presently in the case of the D200, I would suggest that $200 isn't enough.

If one has a large, not known repair come up and Maxwells decide not to honour (as you are at the mercy of their good graces) your warranty, $200 would quickly get eaten up in DHL bags to point of origin.

It is really up to each individual to decide what is a large enough margin to be worthwhile to purchase grey. One school of thought proposed on this board before suggested buying bodies in aus and lenses grey, as bodies are more likely to require adjustment or service.
Glen

Postby Hybrid on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:43 am

Glen wrote:It is really up to each individual to decide what is a large enough margin to be worthwhile to purchase grey. One school of thought proposed on this board before suggested buying bodies in aus and lenses grey, as bodies are more likely to require adjustment or service.

I'm beginning to agree with this thinking. For one thing, the price differential seems to be higher on lenses and also the lenses are less likely to need repair or service...

Cheers,

Stephen
Hybrid

Return to Trader Opinions