Warranty for D50 not imported by Maxwells

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Warranty for D50 not imported by Maxwells

Postby blinkblink on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:17 pm

I've noticed that there are number of online sellers that import the D50/D70 from overseas and then retail them in Australia. These would be bypassing Maxwells.

Are Maxwells still obliged to honour the warranty?

Thanks,
Chris
blinkblink

Postby sheepie on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:20 pm

nup - if it's not maxwells stock they don't have to honour someone elses warranty.

There may be something with international warranty on lenses, but there definately ain't on cameras.

Birddog's the guru on this - I'm sure he'll be along shortly with a complete, and accurate, answer ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby stubbsy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:22 pm

No. Warranty is country specific. If your camera doesn't have a Maxwell Warranty card they won't repair it.

Edit: Damn Leon. You beat me!
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby moggy on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:24 pm

No, they would refuse to repair them under 'International Warranty'. Their 'excuse' is that they are a Nikon distributor not a Nikon subsiduary, which of course is a load of BS as they charge warranty costs back to Nikon. :roll:

8) Bob.
moggy

Postby blinkblink on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:35 pm

Bugger! I'll have to fork out the extra. I've seen a D50 for $400 less on ebay.

Thanks for the replies.
Chris
blinkblink

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:39 pm

Nikon or Nikon Worldwide does not provide any International warranty on all Dslr or digital P&S, except lenses.

Maxwell is Nikon distributor in Australia, they won't honour any warranty works on non Maxwell stock (DSLR or Digital P&S) or grey import, but they do repair and you have to shoulder the damages, it's good and better than nothing.
On the otherside of the world, Nikon USA won't honour or repair any grey import Nikon products including lenses, even if you're willing to pay for the repair, or unless you have some extended warranty and leave it to the Insurance provider.

Importer who're selling Nikon DSLR or Digital P&S have to take care their warranty in the first 12 months, we have to send it back to them, country of original for them to take care of the warranty and it's costly, one D70 body, sent back to HKG by EMS with insurance will cost roughly about AU$100.00. and apart from other work you may encounter with Customs, lost in transit etc....

Imagine yourself, if you have to send your camera twice then you better buy another one, and our consumer laws overhere have nothing to do with those overseas sellers, unless you bought your gears from a reputable seller(s) and they have a good link locally, then there are peace in mind. Otherwise, just gamble and try your luck!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:50 pm

I have to add the following:

If you're buying from eBay or Overseas sellers and they have their local present in Australia, make sure they will accept the warranty return to their local contacts instead of you have to send the faulty goods to O/S sellers, if they can do it to you then you're safe to buy from them.

Not all O/S sellers will accept local warranty returns as far as I known.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby blinkblink on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:13 pm

Thanks Birddog.

I've found Digital Discount Photographics who are importers and do the warranty work themselves. Very reasonale price and I sent an email asking them about warranty and got a response back in an hour on a Sunday!

Has anyone dealt with them before?

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/nikond50.htm

Thanks
Chris
blinkblink

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:25 pm

With the price of AU$1355.00 including the Nikkor 70-300, you better buy from Ted's.
They're selling $1499.00 for the D50 with 18-55 & 70-300G + bonus of Qpix Multimedia player, it's from local NIkon/ Maxwell stock and warranty.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby blinkblink on Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:50 pm

Birddog, you are quite a salesman.

I wasn't going to get the 70-300G but after doing a bit of research it's probably more than worthwhile. In the scheme of things, $144 isn't all that much.

I think I'll zing into the city tomorrow and get one. I'll whack it on plastic:D

Thanks for your advice.

Chris
blinkblink

Postby birddog114 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:11 pm

blinkblink wrote:Birddog, you are quite a salesman.

I wasn't going to get the 70-300G but after doing a bit of research it's probably more than worthwhile. In the scheme of things, $144 isn't all that much.

I think I'll zing into the city tomorrow and get one. I'll whack it on plastic:D

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Chris,
I'm sure you'll happy with both lenses, later down the track if you can see the needs of other range then eBay the 70-300G and get a better glass than, in the means time it'll serve you well.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Trader Opinions