Reasons to attend a mini-meet

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Reasons to attend a mini-meet

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:30 pm

Bob knows why I write things, but something in my odd being compelled me to write one last bit of nifty memorabilia on this evil temporary keyboard before I get a new one this weekend, regardless...

If you haven't been to a mini-meet before and you live in Sydney, there's likely to be something entirely wrong with you.

I'll tell you, since this online bit happened, I can honestly say that knowing ahead of time that we're going to a mini-meet at Birdy's is such a good thing.

I said this to Dad today because... well... it was on my mind...

The people who are regulars at Birdy's whenever I'm there have become a sort of extended family if you will, and I challenge anyone who's ever attended one to disagree with the notion that when you're there you are essentially being welcomed into another sort of extended family.

I don't know what it is, but even though the mini-meet is tomorrow, I can't wait to see Joe and shake his hands as well as have his wife Chryssine in some way blame me for something Dad has probably said this week in a cheerful manner, say hello to Killakoala (Steve) who we've all missed so much, have another chat with Matt K and Philo, have Stubbsy (Peter) somehow tell me I've probably done something wrong again and I'm being too much of a smart-arse (he's probably right), and see and talk to the wonderful Birdy as well as his wife Tran who - with the help of some of the others like Chryssine and Philo - are wonders in the kitchen when lunchtime comes around.

There are so many other people who turn up all the time that are great to talk to and be around including Gstark, MHD, Glen, Chris, Onyx, Geoff, MCWB, Leek, Paul, Rokkstar, Mj, Huynie, WileE, Gleff, Thaddeus, Smac, Glamy... so many great people.

And plus, for those of you that are more interested in the technical side of things, there's all of that gear, the toys, and the skills that you can pick up just by talking about the field we're all obsessed with that can make you come back week after week.

This isn't meant to sell Birdy's mini-meets by any means.
They do that quite well without me talking about them.

This is just one user telling another, hell, telling a lot of others that if you're in Sydney and you haven't actually gotten off of your arse or made the time one Saturday where you could've, you're honestly missing out on something great.

If you're not in Sydney then there's a likelihood that you've got a mini-meet happening somewhere near you if you're living in Australia where the DSLRUser's chapters are developing on their own.

There are people in places like Victoria, Queensland, and South Australia that are running their own mini-meets and if you're not going out and shooting and talking to some of these people who I've been lucky enough to meet in this slightly-over-a-year of operation, you're seriously missing out on a way to improve your skills and make friends and all of that social mumbo-jumbo that you get in life that's supposed to be good for you.

Hell, I'm actually jealous of some of the stuff that the Melbourne people do... they go out and shoot somewhat often, you know?
That's fantastic and, likewise if you're in Sydney and are always choosing not to go out, if you're in Melbourne and you're making a conscientious decision not to go out with these guys when it happens, you're seriously missing out there too.

I'm not saying people have to go to be members of this community.
We don't rely on that for this forum to thrive or suceed.

But I'd encourage anyone to attend a mini-meet or a dinner if they can to see what can happen.

You might gain new skills and you might even get some better deals, but you'll definitely make some new friends.

EDIT: All these edits, well, I keep adding great people whom I suddenly remember from the meets. I could go on and on about the people I've met in Sydney, and I haven't touched upon the fantastic bunch I met when we were in Melbourne earlier this year, but you get the gist.
Last edited by Nnnnsic on Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby stubbsy on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:42 pm

Leigh

Eloquent and touching. I'm tempted to make a clever comment or two or three. In fact I typed and deleted two, but what you have said is just too beautiful to sully with some cheap shots.

To the others reading who have yet to share in the pleasures of a mini meet in their locale you now know SOME of what you're missing. Get out and attend. If not tomorrow, then next time.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:51 pm

Nicely put Leigh :)

I am a bit envious of the NSW members who have the fortunate opportunity to attend the mini meet at Birddog's place and it almost makes me want to move up to Sydney. Note I said almost ;)

Looks like Melb might have to start doing something similar ;)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:53 pm

PiroStitch wrote:Looks like Melb might have to start doing something similar ;)

Ya'll are lucky enough to have the only other mod not to live in NSW to come to your own incarnations of the mini-meets. That's like an almost-Birdy... :)

Plus Greg's a great guy. He likes blurry pictures... that's a plus too! :lol:
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby redline on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:00 am

i thought Sydney was full
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby leek on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:02 am

Hear Hear Leigh...
I echo your sentiments (even though you left my name out originally :twisted:...
Birdy's mini-meets are a great thing... A true family...
Great company, great equipment, great food & drink - what more could a poor man want???

See you there tomorrow...
Last edited by leek on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby embi on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:03 am

Well Greg....thats a heads up....now you have to attend the next one. i have been to the last two and you have been missing :)
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby wendellt on Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:25 am

Leigh

Nicely put and very thoughtful - your keyboard can retire proud.

I remember the first time i went I did not know what to expect because I used a point and shoot camera for a while and most camera clubs have some sort of pre-disposition either you need to be technically macho or artistic stature to be initiated, instead of glances or egos I got a warm welcome. I met down to earth but accomplished people who were willing to share in their knowledge and intoxicating idiosyncrasies.

For a momment there i didn't get birdy's witty banter because he would tease a little giving me a hard time but it's done all in good humour.

Minimeets are very practical too. You get to to try out gear without fear and pressure of buying an item at a store with an overbearing salesperson. The sheer range of equipment to try out is heavenly, where else in australia can you try out a gitzo tripod, or even touch a 200-400VR f1.4?

A worthy note is Tran Chryssine's wonderfully delectible treats and the hospitality is second to none, other members also contribute culinary delights, the most important thing is everyone puts in what they want in return just like this forum, and Birdy puts in alot of time, personal risk as he lets people play with his toys and lots of other things too much to mention.

Distant cousins please come and enjoy the family gathering

Leigh i think you need to edit your post again to include me, but then again we met elsewhere. 8) - ha. used a litle icon thing in my post, there's a 1st time for everything people!
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Re: Reasons to attend a mini-meet

Postby MCWB on Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:35 am

Nnnnsic wrote:There are so many other people who turn up all the time that are great to talk to and be around including Gstark

8) 8) 8)

Definitely agree Leigh, the mini-meets represent the very essence of this forum! See y'all there, erm, today! :)
MCWB

Postby Catcha on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:01 am

Is there any more mini meets next month ? I'm heading to Sydney on the 5th October till the 11th for a short break. Would love to try and attend one
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:03 am

Catcha wrote:Is there any more mini meets next month ? I'm heading to Sydney on the 5th October till the 11th for a short break. Would love to try and attend one

Saturday 8th October is the next mini meet.
It's not on our calendar yet.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Catcha on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:11 am

Hmm might have to make and effort depending on transport, i'm staying in campbelltown is that far from where the mini meet are held ?
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby birddog114 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:20 am

Catcha wrote:Hmm might have to make and effort depending on transport, i'm staying in campbelltown is that far from where the mini meet are held ?

15 min. by train and 5 min. walk :lol:

Take a train and you're not far away.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Return to Sydney