Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge Participants

To all coming on this walk, we will meet outside the entrance to Luna Park at 9 am with the walk taking till 1pm, allowing time for participants to get to the afternoon minimeet at Birddys.

The intended route is a little shooting in and around Luna Park and the adjacent boardwalk (the John Howard walk), depending on time and fitness possibly popping the 500metres to Lavender Bay, then up to the Bridge proper to walk to the pylon. The pylon opens at 10am, and instead of the $160 - $295 per person charged for a Bridgeclimb, where they make you wear funny overalls and they take your shot (your own camera isn't allowed), you are all on the internal pylon walk which has a lot of interesting info on construction, etc and allows you to take your own camera (yipee!!!) and wear your own clothes. Total cost including the special D70 users discount is $8.50. Yes $8.50, you can all thank me personally for the discount later. We will then descend and proceed to the Rocks area of Sydney and depending on time see what we can fit in. I would suggest a bottle of water would be a good idea, weather is predicted as fine and up to 19 degrees.

For interstate visitors I would suggest you leave Enfield Formula 1 about 8am. It takes about 45 minutes to get from there to Luna Park. If you have not eaten, get the maxi cab to stop at Milsons Point Station, where there are a number of places to get a bacon and egg sandwhich or similar, then walk down. If you are after something healthier, I suggest bringing it and eating at the hotel, which I don't beleive has food facilities. Ring to check. For Nicole and Kipper who are arriving Saturday morning, you can come straight from the airport to Luna Park (about a half hour taxi ride ($30), or 45 min train ride ($10 ea) suggest eating at the airport). Luna Park food doesn't open till 10am. I can store some bags in my small 2 door car, but not three big bags. You may be able to arrange a better solution. My car will be 600 metres from the entrance, or more. For those coming from Sydney I suggest a train to Milsons Point Station or if by coming by car, parking in Lavender Cr in Watts Park at the very southern end of Walker Street, off Lavender Street. When you park, walk to the Harbour, look to your left, observe big bridge and Luna Park, then walk around boardwalk till you get there.

The address for Luna Park is 1 Olympic Drive, Milsons Point. It is at the bottom of Alfred Street South. It is all meter parking nearby, which is why I suggest parking at Lavender Bay. Luna Park is at the bottom of the north western pylon to the bridge, any taxi driver knows where it is.

What to look for: Image

This map shows an X where we meet:

I have listed as attendees; Mudder, Spooky, Happy Fotographer, Digitor (2), Nicole, Spada, Platinum Weaver, Stubbsy, Jenno and Kipper. No problem if you are not listed, just PM me or call on 0419 88 88 18, there is no limit for this walk. Also call or PM if there are any questions.
Last edited by Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:38 pm

Ummmh, we were suppose to be dropping bags off at Dean's / Fozzie's room first Glen. I know I don't, and I'm sure Nicole won't want to be carrying luggage around Sydney.

Ok, disregard. Read the bit about your car and storage. Out of interest, what is the time from Airport to Enfield, then from Enfield to Luna Park?
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:42 pm

Airport to LP 30 mins
Airport to Formula 1 20 - 25 mins
Formula 1 to LP 30 - 40 mins
Last edited by Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby kipper on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:43 pm

So if Dean waited we could drop all our stuff off, and all 3 catch a taxi and split it.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Glen on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:46 pm

Exactly
Thank You
Glen

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:12 am

Would also suggest if anyone has a right angle viewfinder to bring it, very handy for shots from the top of the pylon.
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:33 am

Pls. note: Traffic on Saturday from AP - Enfield - LP is not very good.
Recommend you guys find a place to drop off your luggage and hop onto the train to LP is more easy and economical.
You guys can drop off your baggies at my places (make sure some money in there :lol: for the bag keeper :lol: ) and hop in a train heading to the city. My base is about 5 min. walk to the train station and 10 or 15 min from the AP and 5 min. to Formule 1 Enfield by car.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:36 am

Or maybe, stubbsy can give you guys a lift to LP on his "zoom zoom" from my base, I better check with him tomorrow if you want to do that way.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Jenno on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:34 am

I'll have my car parked near Central station (will catch train to Milsons point from there) that can accommodate luggage etc for the interstaters and will be going to mini meat afterwards if thats any help

Ray
Jenno

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:45 am

Jenno wrote:I'll have my car parked near Central station (will catch train to Milsons point from there) that can accommodate luggage etc for the interstaters and will be going to mini meat afterwards if thats any help

Ray

Ray,
Some of them are not on the mini meet manifest.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:55 am

Jenno/Ray, are you coming to the Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge walk?
Thank You
Glen

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:57 am

I am heading that way, and was planning on driving....so if you want a lift then let me know. Formule one is only a small detour for me. I have a people mover so can take 6 passengers and a reasonable (but not excessive) amount of bags.

Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Re: Lavender Bay & Harbour Bridge

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:01 am

Glen wrote:For Nicole and Kipper who are arriving Saturday morning, you can come straight from the airport to Luna Park (about a half hour taxi ride ($30), or 45 min train ride ($10 ea) suggest eating at the airport).

We're trying to arrange a ride for them from the airport, and that will also include baggage storage. Please feel free to call me regarding this; at the very worst, I'll have the Quattro available; it's just a matter of getting up early enough to be at the airport for your arrival.

0400 817 042
02 9386 9478
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:05 am

HappyFotographer wrote:I am heading that way, and was planning on driving....so if you want a lift then let me know. Formule one is only a small detour for me. I have a people mover so can take 6 passengers and a reasonable (but not excessive) amount of bags.

Deb

They can drop off their bag here and Deb will pick them up from my base, I think it's more convenience for them not to have their luggages with them.
Incase something happens to the car, then no cleaned clothes for them for the evening :twisted:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Jenno on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:09 am

Yes Glen...Left a message on your M/fone last night

Ray
Jenno

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:10 am

Good God Birddog

Birddog114 wrote:Incase something happens to the car, then no cleaned clothes for them for the evening :twisted:

Are you trying to jinx me? :shock:

Deb
HappyFotographer

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:10 am

HappyFotographer wrote:Good God Birddog

Birddog114 wrote:Incase something happens to the car, then no cleaned clothes for them for the evening :twisted:

Are you trying to jinx me? :shock:

Deb

Deb,
Just in case! who knows? :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:19 am

Birddog114 wrote:Or maybe, stubbsy can give you guys a lift to LP on his "zoom zoom" from my base, I better check with him tomorrow if you want to do that way.

My current planning is to park my car at birddogs then catch the train from there to LP and then return the same way for the afternoon's festivities. Avoids all the traffic hassles.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:20 am

stubbsy wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Or maybe, stubbsy can give you guys a lift to LP on his "zoom zoom" from my base, I better check with him tomorrow if you want to do that way.

My current planning is to park my car at birddogs then catch the train from there to LP and then return the same way for the afternoon's festivities. Avoids all the traffic hassles.

Good option you have stubbsy!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:20 am

Ray, you are in!
Thank You
Glen

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:24 am

Deb, have a look at the street directory and my parking instructions, hopefully makes sense. Anything within 800 metres of LP is metered. If you are coming from the city, Lavender St is the very first exit on the left after the pylon. Call me if you need to or PM.
Thank You
Glen

Postby MHD on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 am

Might be interested in this... :)
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:42 am

Scott, all are welcome. Interesting inside and atop the pylons.
Thank You
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:59 am

Glen

I'm thinking of leaving my 70-200 VR behind for this trip to make up for the extra 2kg I've added to my waist. You've been there do you think I'll be missing anything as a result (I'll have 12-24 and 24-120 and 50/1.4)
Peter
stubbsy

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 pm

Thanks Glen I should be fine getting there. It would just be where the best parking would be. My husband suggested maybe even parking within LP's garage itself.

Do I need to pick people up? I am unsure what is happening at the moment.

Deb
HappyFotographer

Postby MHD on Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:52 pm

Glen wrote:Scott, all are welcome. Interesting inside and atop the pylons.

Yep... have been there before, just not with the d70... Well worth the cash, excellent value for money!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Jenno on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Peter,

Bring your 70-200Vr and give the train a miss.

Belmore to HP by foot = about -2kgs :lol:

Ray
Jenno

Postby stubbsy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Jenno wrote:Peter,

Bring your 70-200Vr and give the train a miss.

Belmore to HP by foot = about -2kgs :lol:

Ray

Ray :shock: I'd probably die of heart failure :wink:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:13 pm

Hi Deb,
Parking in Luna Park is available for $20 for 4 hours or so. The entrance is in Paul St, Milsons Point. The parking spots I described in the initial post are 2 hr non metered spots which rarely get checked on weekends. I have never been booked there. They are 500metres from the LP entrance. Untimed free paring is available in Walker St, North Sydney south of the station. This is a pleasant 800 metre walk around the harbour (you walk past a cute lighthouse which has been converted to a house). Just park in Walker, walk south towards the harbour, across Lavender Street, down the stairs and turn left at the harbour. It would be handy if you picked up the F 1 mob, I will check how many are there, how many can you take?

Stubbsy,

You will be fine with your selection of lenses except if we see something interesting on the Harbour or walking along the Bridge. Your choice, remember you probably wont need the 50 1.4 during the day as it will be sunny, just use the 24-120 at f8. Not that the 50 and 70-200 are similar weights :wink: I would consider taking it for a stand alone Opera House shot. A milk crate or step would be handy for the top of the pylon (maybe your Nikon 12-24 :lol: )
Thank You
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks Glen - I'll take a monopod and a CP for my milk crate :wink:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 pm

Probably save the monopod, most shots will be wide or with your beautiful VR lenses. It is handy having a step at the top of the pylons, they have glass to about 185 cm in height. Fortunately they have a step in each corner of the pylon, but a fold up step would be handy :wink:
Thank You
Glen

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 pm

Deb, it looks like 6 at F 1, or 7 including you. Does that fit?

Kipper and Nicole what time do you touch down?
Thank You
Glen

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:02 pm

Glen wrote:Deb, it looks like 6 at F 1, or 7 including you. Does that fit?

I can take 6 plus myself. Are they all doing the Harbour stroll?
HappyFotographer

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:03 pm

HappyFotographer wrote:
Glen wrote:Deb, it looks like 6 at F 1, or 7 including you. Does that fit?

I can take 6 plus myself. Are they all doing the Harbour stroll?

Deb,
Remove all the benches and seats, stack them up as sardines :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:06 pm

You guys just need to tell me where to show up and how much to bring.. :)
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Nicole on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:11 pm

Glen, 7:35am. Since the camera gear will be carry on I'll have to wait for my other bag. Guess it will be around 8am when the bags arrive?

Last time I went to Sydney I caught the train with a friend into the city. Very easy and seemed quite quick. Whatever is easiest for you guys. As long as i've got somewhere to put my other bag (and I'm not the overpacker type :) ) I'm not fussed.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:49 pm

Deb, 7 others going to the harbour stroll, would be very convenient if you picked them up. Thank you. I have Mudder, Spooky, Digitor x 2, Nicole, Kipper and Platinum Weaver on the walk and staying at the F1. Is that correct everyone? Does anyone know of anyone on that list not staying at F1? Lets see if that is correct. If there is an overflow we may ask Stubbsy, or someone at Birddy to pick up a couple and take them to the station with Stubbsy as the guide or possibly share a taxi.

Nicole, you would probably if things went your way, get out about 7.50 and be in at F1 at 8.15, that would still suit all and if not we can delay the start till 9.15. If you came straight by train it should take 30-35 mins placing you at LP quite early. Lets see how things go here and all keep an eye on this thread. Determining factor is how many at F1.
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:51 pm

Glen, you have to find somewhere for Nicole to store her luggage, she needs it in the evening.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Nicole and Kipper on the same plane yes?

So how about we get them to F1 where I let them store their stuff in my room, then the three of us head in to LP as fast as possible?
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 pm

Either F1 or back of my car. I will not be at the afternoon minimeet as it is my godson's birthday and much as I tried to move the party to sunday afternoon, it is saturday afternoon so will put in 2 hrs there.
Thank You
Glen

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:58 pm

Does anyone have a F1 list?
Thank You
Glen

Postby Nicole on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 pm

Thanks guys. :) We'll go to F1 first then.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Nicole and Kipper on the same plane yes?

So how about we get them to F1 where I let them store their stuff in my room, then the three of us head in to LP as fast as possible?

The quickest way as I said earlier, drop off their bags here and hop in the train with stubbsy to LP.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:09 pm

Dean, yes we're both arriving on the same plane. I would of prefered a later flight, however I thought it best if as many people as possible arrived close together for least waiting around for those ferrying people to and from the airport.

After booking the flight, I think it's a good idea that I did get this one as it seems like it's going to be tight making the first event.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby fozzie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:06 pm

Glen,

Glen wrote:Does anyone have a F1 list?

This is the original thread that should be of asistance. There has been a drop off - genji, and also had some addition/s, Nicole comes to mind , that have not been deleted nor added to the list.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks Fozzie, Spooky is the only one unaccounted for in accomodation.

I will PM Spooky now and Stubbsy. If Spooky is staying at F1 we will need to get two methods of transport to get people to LP. I would suggest two people go with Stubbsy on the 8am train, then Deb pick up the 2 Melbournites and the rest at around 8.10-8.15. That should ensure we all arrive at the same time at LP. Does this seem ok with all? Deb in particular?
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 pm

Spooky is going to stay with his friends at Mortdale not F1/ Stubbsy is going to stay with his friend not at F1.
Last edited by birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 pm

That makes little sense from a practical popint of view.

The hotel is in the wrong direction from the airport, when one is trying to get to LP.

The best solution (I think) is for someone (from Sydney) to collect Nicole and Kipper at the airport and take them straight to LP, but retain their luggage for safekeeping, depositing it at either Birddog's or the hotel later in the day.

That's the sort of solution I'm working on at the moment, anyway.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:22 pm

gstark wrote:

That makes little sense from a practical popint of view.

The hotel is in the wrong direction from the airport, when one is trying to get to LP.

The best solution (I think) is for someone (from Sydney) to collect Nicole and Kipper at the airport and take them straight to LP, but retain their luggage for safekeeping, depositing it at either Birddog's or the hotel later in the day.

That's the sort of solution I'm working on at the moment, anyway.

Ok, I jump in this one.
I'll pick Nicole + Kipper at the AP, and they will go with stubbsy by train to the LP, on the way back they come back with stubbsy and collect their bags from my base, make sure there's some toll for the bag keeper :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:26 pm

Gary, we may be a little light on for Sydney types, as far as I can tell we have Happy Fotographer, Spada, Jenno and myself. HF is alraeady doing transport duties, Spada rides a bike, Jenno is from the Hills district and I cant fit 2 in the car (and wont make the afternoon minimeet). I agree it doesn't make sense, but may be the only way (unless someone picks up their luggage who is going to the afternoon minimeet) and they catch the train across.

As Spooky is staying with friends on the train line, he will probably get the train to LP. This means Deb can pick up the whole team from F1, which would be handy.
Thank You
Glen

Next

Return to Sydney