Valhalla closing

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Valhalla closing

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:02 pm

A little more of Sydney dies.

Apparantly, the Valhalla in Glebe is screening its last movie tomorrow night.

I'd love to see them restore this to a proper theatre again, but I expect that this won't happen.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby pippin88 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:05 pm

It did this a few years ago, then sat there for a while, then someone re-opened it.

While it is sad to see cultural history die, it's very understandable that it would not be very viable. I prefer to see my movies at the newer tech cinemas.

The Randwick Ritz is a great cinema BTW, cheap prices, comfy seats and reasonable tech.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Andoru on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:09 pm

Likewise with that cinema in Cremorne.

RIP. :(
Andoru

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:24 pm

Tis a pity
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Yes to both of those.

I can recall taking the other admin to the Valhalla when he was just knee high to a pigmy grasshopper. Their Saturday matinees, with Jaffas supplied, were a .... ball.

Our most recent visit was just a couple of months back, to see The Guide To The Guide.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:05 pm

Andoru wrote:Likewise with that cinema in Cremorne.

I hope you don't mean the Hayden Orpheum... That's a classic cinema and always seemed to be very popular... One of the last remaining Wurlitzers...

Please tell me it's not so...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:11 pm

Leek, was still going strong when I walked by last week. Still owned by Mike Walsh I beleive.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Sheetshooter on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:56 pm

Aaaah the Valhalla,

I saw the original production of Rocky Horror there in the 70s and it was under 'demolition' even then!! Last time I went there was for Ian McKellen's wonderful Richard III (the one where he does the soliloquy "Now is the winter of our discontent ..." struggling with his one hand to undo his fly and take a leak).

The Cremorne Orpheum is one of the last remaining cinemas in Sydney with a 70mm projector. It might not be new technology (as if that even matters) but nothing beats a film shot and screened on 70mm. Baraka had a lengthy run there and I was fortunate enough to be invoited to a private screening of the last remaining 70mm print of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA there one Sunday morning a few years back before the print was shipped to its new abode - the private collection of Mr. S. Spielberg.

Walter

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." - Galassi
Sheetshooter

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:26 am

gstark wrote:he was just knee high to a pigmy grasshopper

Ah! A foetus :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:29 am

sirhc55 wrote:
gstark wrote:he was just knee high to a pigmy grasshopper

Ah! A foetus :lol:

A tad older, perhaps. :)

A dwarf, no less.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Andoru on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:36 am

leek wrote:
Andoru wrote:Likewise with that cinema in Cremorne.

I hope you don't mean the Hayden Orpheum... That's a classic cinema and always seemed to be very popular... One of the last remaining Wurlitzers...

Please tell me it's not so...

No no I didn't mean to say that it's closed down. I meant to say that it's one of the classic cinema in Sydney. The "RIP" was for Valhalla.
Andoru

Return to Sydney