Mini meet on the 23 July 2005

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby leek on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:52 pm

I'd love to be there for all the bargains, not to mention everything else that goes together with a mini-meet, but apparently I am already booked in for a Father / Daughter bowling session on Saturday morning...

I hope everyone has fun... sounds like there will be a lot of new members there...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:55 pm

leek wrote:I'd love to be there for all the bargains, not to mention everything else that goes together with a mini-meet, but apparently I am already booked in for a Father / Daughter bowling session on Saturday morning...

I hope everyone has fun... sounds like there will be a lot of new members there...

leek,
you can let your daughter play bowling in the front yard and you get into the mini meet in the back yard :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby leek on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:00 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
leek wrote:I'd love to be there for all the bargains, not to mention everything else that goes together with a mini-meet, but apparently I am already booked in for a Father / Daughter bowling session on Saturday morning...

leek,
you can let your daughter play bowling in the front yard and you get into the mini meet in the back yard :lol:

I wish... I think that the objective is to meet fathers of the other girls, so as much as I'd like to follow your suggestion, I'd probably lose some brownie points somewhere... See you next weekend???
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:58 pm

Mind if I drag my F5 along and "test" some of you fine fellows' lenses? 8)
Andoru

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Andoru wrote:Mind if I drag my F5 along and "test" some of you fine fellows' lenses? 8)

Well, I have my F5/ F90 inhouse and retired, and you can BYO also.
Why not? :lol:

You won't see much life of the F5 as our DSLR. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Well, I have my F5/ F90 inhouse and retired, and you can BYO also.

You have an F5? One day I'm going to have to have a play of that thing. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:33 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Well, I have my F5/ F90 inhouse and retired, and you can BYO also.

You have an F5? One day I'm going to have to have a play of that thing. :)

Yeah! I have one, huynhie has one and he's on holiday with his D2x.
Most of the F5 users which I've known, they switched to the D2x.

They can't cope with the viewfinder of D70 or D70s + other missing features from the F5.

F6 is similar size of the F100 + other D2x features, don't like it much, though sometime I would like to put something on film.

Edit: O/T
Tonight, I'm going to shoot an event with couple guys who have the Canon 1Ds MKII and 20D, hope we can swap gears and having fun.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:38 pm

Oh goody!

If only I could afford the D2X....

Let's hope that the D200 comes out soon eh! Otherwise I might have to switch to Canon *runs*
Andoru

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:43 pm

Andoru wrote:Oh goody!
Let's hope that the D200 comes out soon eh! Otherwise I might have to switch to Canon *runs*

Finish your PHD study and you can lust more! OK! :lol:

Swicth to Canon? 1Ds MKII! tempting me too! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Well, what a great meet today. Got to meet some friendly new faces, and see the old familiar ones.

Let me extend a sincere thanks to our gracious hosts Mr and Mrs Birddog once again for a great morning. To everyone who came - you made the event great. The friendly faces, the inviting atmosphere, the great conversations.... A big shout out to those I met for the first time today, a warm 'I miss youse' (bogan slang) to all the regulars, and a special thank you to smac for getting me there and back in safety, refinement and style!
Onyx

Postby samester on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:25 pm

i'd planned on coming till i was woken in the middle of the night to come in and fix a problem at work :cry:
samester

Postby Geoff on Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:51 pm

Onyx wrote:Well, what a great meet today. Got to meet some friendly new faces, and see the old familiar ones.

Let me extend a sincere thanks to our gracious hosts Mr and Mrs Birddog once again for a great morning. To everyone who came - you made the event great. The friendly faces, the inviting atmosphere, the great conversations.... A big shout out to those I met for the first time today, a warm 'I miss youse' (bogan slang) to all the regulars, and a special thank you to smac for getting me there and back in safety, refinement and style!

I can only but reiterate what Chi has said. I really love these meets! The comrarderie, the lens lust that REALLY takes hold and the company and fun times we all have with each other is fantastic! I REALLY want the 70-200VR now...damn it! :) PS - I took quite a few photos at the meet today and will post shortly, quite a few new faces I must say! Great to see! Wocka - u have to come to the next one, even though you own a canon! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Andoru on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:14 pm

I'm not going to another mini-meet ever again! It's very bad for my wallet you know! :lol:

Jokes aside, I just want to say that I'm really glad I went. I felt very much at "home" instantly, the atmosphere was really friendly naturally and everyone had fun over there! I got to try out many of the lenses, tripods and ballheads, and learned new things (wasn't aware of a DX fisheye Nikkor til today heh heh). I now have some serious lusts going on in my head - and it's very much yours as well as Birddog's fault! I had a quick nap when I got home and all I dreamt about was the full-figure of the 3-legged piece of pure sex machine - the Gitzo 1325. I've never lusted so much for a tripod and this is a bit worrying for me. And that sexy 200-400 with the carbon fibre hood complete with the wimberley side-kick...*drool* I compiled a wishlist on Birddog's request and looks like I'm going to be $50k out of pocket folks. Don't mind selling one of my kidney or eat rice with soya sauce for 1 year though.

Oh yeah - I got to say that everything about Birddog reminds me of me old man (who lives in Melb). The resemblance is so uncanny! He looks closer as my dad's brother than his actual brothers!

When I first smelled the fragrant curry prepared by his lovely wife, it was almost home coming for me. *sniff* The cakes were lovely too I must say! Someone has to write a review quick smart!

I'm glad to have met all of you and I do apologise if I couldn't remember all your names. I won't be there next Sat because of kendo training but I'll be there for the anniversary dinner!

Speaking of dinner, there is a great peking duck place not far from Birddog's base. We have to try it one of these days!

Finally, THANK YOU Birddog and your wife for the very kind hospitality and lending of gear. Also thank you to those who have prepared food or took care of us one way or another. I look forward to the next meet!
Last edited by Andoru on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andoru

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:54 pm

What a lovely commentary from Andoru. Those meets must be special (but maybe expensive :wink: )
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:18 pm

cricketfan wrote:Those meets must be special (but maybe expensive :wink: )

I never seem to have any problems not spending money at them.

Then again, I'm broke. :lol:
Nnnnsic

Postby Onyx on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:52 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:I never seem to have any problems not spending money at them.

Says he who is contemplating a Benq FP937... ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:00 pm

I thanking you all for your attendance today at the mini meet, my family and myself enjoyed your company and friendships which you all brought to the mini meet!
Welcome once again all new faces and wish to meet you again in the next mini meets.
Thanking Joet and Chryssine for the cakes, also to Matt.K & Philo for your supports in the backstage.
:D :D :D :D :D
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Aussie Dave on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05 pm

All i can say is, I am glad I don't live in Sydney. If I did, I would surely frequent the mini-meets at Birdy's and I dare say I'd be trying to figure out how to clothe myself with the Nikon Camera strap I have......as I'd probably sell the clothes off my back - after spending my entire life savings (by the sounds of the lens lusting that happens there !!!) :oops: :lol: :roll:

And for all those that are going to the AW, make sure you pre-pay for your accomodation and return airfares, as I fear there will be alot of people walking away from Birdy's with heavy bags and empty wallets :)
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Andoru on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:21 pm

Here are some objects of my lust taken with the only digital camera in my possession...my mobile!

Nikkor 200-400 VROOM on Wimberley sidekick, RRS ballhead and Gitzo 1325......*DROOOOOOOOOL*:

Wimberley sidekick:

Markin M20 on a Gitzo 1227:

Markin M20 on a Gitzo 1227(?):

Birddog showed me the RRS flash bracket as well, which is fully sick!
Andoru

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:25 pm

Onyx wrote:
Nnnnsic wrote:I never seem to have any problems not spending money at them.

Says he who is contemplating a Benq FP937... ;)

Sssshhhh...
Nnnnsic

Postby MCWB on Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:24 pm

Sorry I got there so late, seems I missed a heap of people and a heap of fun. :( Was still good to see the usual subjects there at the end though. ;) Not sure if I'll be able to make it next weekend, possibly, but maybe only for an hour or two as I'll be massively busy at uni!
MCWB

Postby Jeko70 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:24 am

Hi all,
I had such a lovely day so I want to say thank you to Birddog, his family and at all of you.
I've just joined you last week, I can't speak perfect english :? , but I felt like I was coming home with old good friends ever kwnown.
The opportunity to try and buy all that stuff...... looks like: "Alice In Wonderland"

Alice in Wonderland, how do you get to Wonderland?
Over the hill or underland, or just behind the tree?

Or like a Kid in a Candy Store
....I think..... I'm feeling sick now :shock:
Thanks
Catch you soon...Ciao
Fab PS Some camera and lenses review from Norway http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
Take it easy mate! :wink:
Cogito Ergo Sum!....Our World Is Not For Sale....
Photocinearts Michelangelo Antonioni Flickr
Jeko70

Postby Geoff on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:51 am

Ok..I'm not good with names but here's some shots from today from a variety of lenses including (mainly) the 50mm 1.4, 12-24, and the 17-35DX 2.8. Some more faces for people to remember...the AW is going to be AWESOME!!

The one and only...Chi!

Joet...

The process of lens lust....

A sample of some of the finest food we are spoilt with regularly:

Some we haven't seen in a while, welcome back guys..Belle and Bruno:

Belle:

Bruno:

Image :D :D
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Andoru on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:00 am

Nice ones Geoff!

I got to say...Stuart reminds me very much of V8 driver Russell Ingall:

Hang on a sec...is Stuart's last name Ingall by any chance?
Andoru

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:44 am

Andoru,
Sorry, he's not! but we had him yesterday with full of lust! :lol:

Geoff,
Your captures of some photos of "NOM" (New Old Members) brought back to us some of the first mini meet we held here in Belmore last year with some similar faces among the new, and never ending.

There're heaps of spirits and friendships among the groups, we're sharing all, my family + myself are all supported and enjoyed.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Bruno on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:02 am

Morning,

Birddog it was very nice to see you and the other members yesterday, I had a great morning at the toyshop, looking and talking about some amazing gear. Thankyou! It will be back ASAP for another one.

Nice shots Geoff!

Cheers guys
Bruno

Postby smac on Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:34 pm

Andoru,

Sorry, no relationship to Russell Ingall but I do drive like him.....(in my dreams).

Birddog, had a great time at my first mini meet, didn't learn much except perhaps how to spend a lot of money in a very short time......but I already knew how to do that.

Please thank your wife for the obvious effort she went to in order to put together that wonderful curry.......

I look forward to the next opportunity I get to attend a mini meet and catch up with the members...

Stuart
'Tis better to have loved and lust than never to have lust at all.
smac

Postby radar on Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:14 pm

Hi,

just to add my voice to the BIG thank you to Birddog and his wife for the great time at the mini-meet. It was my first and definetely not my last, in Sydney. It is probably a good thing that it is a bit further for me to get to - Sydney. That way, money stays in my pocket a bit longer ;-)

Great day and really looking forward to meeting even more members at the AW.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:10 pm

radar wrote:Hi,

just to add my voice to the BIG thank you to Birddog and his wife for the great time at the mini-meet. It was my first and definetely not my last, in Sydney. It is probably a good thing that it is a bit further for me to get to - Sydney. That way, money stays in my pocket a bit longer ;-)

Great day and really looking forward to meeting even more members at the AW.

Cheers,

André

André

My experience is the distance isn't great enough. The lust is too powerful and Birddog's Treasure Trove is too enticing :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:18 pm

You are all making me homesick. :(
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:20 pm

Killakoala wrote:You are all making me homesick. :(

How long 'till you get back?
Nnnnsic

Postby birddog114 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:00 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:
Killakoala wrote:You are all making me homesick. :(

How long 'till you get back?

I've been told his cruise ship won't be back to Sydney until October, but it depends on if nothing happen around the region or she (the cruise ship) behaves.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby barry on Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:31 pm

For my first mini meet, I thought it was good to get together with other D70 users.

When Birdy bought out the 200-400 bigma I then realised what lens lust was all about

Thanks for a good morning Birddog.

Barry
D700, 50 1.8, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, SB800 plus a lot of gadgets
barry

Postby HappyFotographer on Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 am

Unfortunately I had to leave quickly just as the yummy lunch came out. Birddog please apologise to your lovely wife. I probably seemed rude trying to hurry out.....but Owen was getting very upset and I just wanted to get him home.

Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:49 am

HappyFotographer wrote:Unfortunately I had to leave quickly just as the yummy lunch came out. Birddog please apologise to your lovely wife. I probably seemed rude trying to hurry out.....but Owen was getting very upset and I just wanted to get him home.

Deb

Deb,
Not too worry! make it another time and stay longer.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Jeko70 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Playing with 10.5mm at mini meet!
Fab
Cogito Ergo Sum!....Our World Is Not For Sale....
Photocinearts Michelangelo Antonioni Flickr
Jeko70

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:03 pm

Hey hey guess what I bumped into Fab last night in a pub!

Got my slides back from the lab today. Majority of them were taken with the 70-200 VROOM and the 200-400mm. Very happy with the slides, though crappy scans as usual. It's interesting how film guys like myself are trying so hard to make their scans look like digital ones and how digital people are trying to make their pictures look like slides! :lol:

Anyway, this is the reason why I want to get the 70-200mm and it's all Birddog's fault:

Note that I haven't done any level adjustment that sorts of things on it.

Another 70-200mm bling-bling shot:

Fooling around with the Big MOMMA (200-400mm @ 400mm):

Caption contest for this one I reckon (70-200mm):

Testing 1 2 3:

He-who-must-not-be-named (actually I can't remember his name sorry!) plus Fab:

Hey hey I'm so happy to be at the meet:

More when I get home.
Andoru

Postby Hlop on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Jeko70 wrote:Playing with 10.5mm at mini meet!
Fab

Yow! What have you done to my back! :)

Poor Andoru! He has to wait for a week to get results! When you're going to by D2X? :)
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:27 pm

When Santa Nikon gives me one. :cry:
Andoru

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:31 pm

Andoru wrote:When Santa Nikon gives me one. :cry:

Next time you have to show us the histogram on your F5 after shots, so we can learn the gramy :lol: :lol:

#3: smac next to Fab
#4, barry with the 80-400VR and finally, he got hooked, ordered 1 two days ago.
#5 Radar with Fab
#6 Happy Buddha
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:08 pm

I'll be ordering the 70-200mm soon birddog! 8)
Andoru

Postby Onyx on Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:57 pm

Interesting shots Andrew. Is it just the scans or does digital seem to offer greater dynamic range than slides? I'm looking at '0127ef.jpg' and it seems the sun's blown out highlights beyond the shaded areas, and Stuart's navy blue fleecetop is rendered in a shade that's at the limits of darkness.
Onyx

Postby Andoru on Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:39 pm

I don't really know how to answer this question directly mate. The concensus seems to be that film has better dynamic range than digital, such as this chart here:

I've also seen writings saying that film has better exposure latitude, but not dynamic range. Hmm.

All I know is that it's often very hard for me to get the digital scans of my slides to look like the slides.

I just had a look at the slide...the area on top of smac's head is a piece of white wall. Can't be helped. :cry:

Your post just reminded me of what I just learned the other day - that digital cameras typically biased towards the shadows so that details can be extracted during PP. No such luxury with the velvia 100F I'm afraid.
Andoru

Postby Onyx on Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:29 am

Well after your rice and soya sauce diet, I would be interested in your impressions of a digital sensor versus slides. As digital sensors are in still their technological infancy, and I've always read that there's a way to go to catch up with slides/negative film in dynamic range - but that image apparently showed otherwise. I've noticed that other brand's CMOS sensors have in my opinion poorer dynamic range, compounded with their metering bias leads to greater occurance of blown highlights in images, while the D70 has been renouned for retention of shadow details (when shot in NEF) - and images captured and processed appropriately could eliminate the need for exposure bracketing (espeically with CS2's HDR ability).

I have never shot with slides as the cost is prohibitive IMO, but by other users' accounts, shooting slides have alot in common with shooting digital, eg. expose for the highlights mantra, so I guess it's a smoother transition than for a negative film shooter to digital.
Onyx

Previous

Return to Sydney