Another Stockton Beach & Sand dunes excursion

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What date is suitable for the Stockton beach and sand dunes workshop?

One weekend at end of August
69%
October Long Week-end
31%

Total votes : 13

Postby rokkstar on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:21 pm

Birdy, we can't make it on Friday night because Sam is going to be working late.
I totally don't want to hold people up whatsoever. I don't want people waiting around for us. It also means that Peter will be late too.

If you want to leave at 10 then we wont make it and it means Peter would miss it too. I don;t want to that to happen so I am happy to forfeit this trip. There will always be another one.
Matt
rokkstar

Postby Hlop on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:25 pm

I'm not sure if we will manage to get to your place at 10am and I thought we're leaving to stockton beach at 11am as been said before :( Actually, we're leaving dee why at 6:30 and might be there on time but as we're going to Central Coast very first time I'm not really positive about this
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby radar on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:33 pm

Hi Hlop,

Hlop wrote:I'm not sure if we will manage to get to your place at 10am and I thought we're leaving to stockton beach at 11am as been said before :( Actually, we're leaving dee why at 6:30 and might be there on time but as we're going to Central Coast very first time I'm not really positive about this

If you leave Dee Why at 6:30, you will get there on time, but you better keep driving past the Central Coast :-)

You need to go to Nelson Bay!! It should take you 2.5 hrs max. I'm sure Birddog will send you detailed directions to his place.

Hope to see you there, before 10 :P

Radar
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Hlop on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:49 pm

radar wrote:If you leave Dee Why at 6:30, you will get there on time, but you better keep driving past the Central Coast :-)

You need to go to Nelson Bay!! It should take you 2.5 hrs max. I'm sure Birddog will send you detailed directions to his place.

Radar

It will take about an hour to get Hornsby and Newcastle Freeway. So, after that I don't know how much time we need to get Nelsons Bay. I hope you're right and it will take no more than 3 hours :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby radar on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Hlop wrote:It will take about an hour to get Hornsby and Newcastle Freeway. So, after that I don't know how much time we need to get Nelsons Bay. I hope you're right and it will take no more than 3 hours :)

An hour to Hornsby from Dee Why, at 6:30AM, now I know why I live in Newcastle :D:D

From Hornsby, shouldn't be much more then 2 hours, still leaves you an extra 30 minutes in case you get lost ;), but you won't :)

Cheers,

Radar
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Hlop on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:56 pm

radar wrote:An hour to Hornsby from Dee Why, at 6:30AM, now I know why I live in Newcastle :D:D

From Hornsby, shouldn't be much more then 2 hours, still leaves you an extra 30 minutes in case you get lost ;), but you won't :)

Unfortunately, there is no stright line between Northern Beaches and Hornsby and we have to make big round to reach Pacific hwy.
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:55 am

Hlop wrote:
radar wrote:If you leave Dee Why at 6:30, you will get there on time, but you better keep driving past the Central Coast :-)

Radar

It will take about an hour to get Hornsby and Newcastle Freeway. So, after that I don't know how much time we need to get Nelsons Bay. I hope you're right and it will take no more than 3 hours :)

Hilop,
It won't take you that long from Hornsby to NC Freeway as you said.
Horsby to NC Freeway usually 15 - 20 minutes or less, depend on where you're trying to get into the freeway.

If you leave Dee Why at 6:30, your ETA is 9:30, give me a call and I'll navigate or will be your "Follow Me" to my base once you're approaching Anna Bay.

From Horsnby to Nelson Bay will take you around 1 Hr 45 minutes maximum, with one stop at Wyong (Caltex Servo) for a cuppa.

I usually travelled from my base in Belmore to my "DRP" at Boat Harbour with the travelling time of 2.5 Hrs or maximum of 3 hours with one stop at Wyong. the worst distance is from my base to Warroongah, where the exit to freeway is. Sometime traffic got bad, I spent an hour sitting duck in the car, but as soon as I hit the freeway, then 110 or 120 in crusing.

Here's the way to Anna Bay.

On the Freeway heading to Newcastle..............
.........After the stop at Wyong for a cuppa, you will pass the exit of Morsiset and then exit to Cessnock then exit to Toronto, pls. don't take the exit of Newcastle Link Road, keep straight ahead until you hit the first big roundabout, turn right at roundabout, keep going and stay on the left lane until you see the Hexham bridge, get onto the Hexham bridge, as soon as you leave the Hexham bridge, keep driving on the right lane, 500 m after Hexham bridge turn right into Tomago road straight to Anna Bay or Nelson Bay. From this point to Anna Bay will take 30 minutes, after Tomago Road, you'll see the Williamtown RAAF (:lol: Friends & Foes at once time), keep driving on Nelson Bay Road until you see the roundabout with the sign turn right into Gan Gan Road Anna Bay.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:19 am

Birddog,

What would you say about this way ?It seems to be the same or very close to what you're saying but I just want to make sure :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:25 am

Hlop wrote:Birddog,

What would you say about this way ?It seems to be the same or very close to what you're saying but I just want to make sure :)

That way can get thru but then will add another 30 min. or more to your trip, and divert up to Raymond Terrace.

Keep the first part of the guide until you reach the following:
Turn right at NI1 [ROUNDABOUT], BERESFIELD
Continue along PACIFIC HWY, to HEXHAM then turn right at Tomago Rd after Hexham bridge, (500m after Hexham Bridge).
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:37 am

Thank you, Birddog! I hope we'll manage to get there before sunset workshop :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks to all the guys & gals who participated the second sand dunes excursion.

We have had lot of fun in cruising over the beach, The Tint City, lot of shooting, walking, pushing etc..., a great day to remember, comraderie + support to fellow members, these events are never fading into the history of the DSLRUsers.com.

I hope and wish we will have the third trip to the region very soon and also asking Sydney members will take part of this fun next.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:14 am

Hi!

I'd like to thank everyone especially our host - Birddog. Also thanks guys for pushing our Suzuki out of sand (we found that 4wd doesn't work but it was too late :) ) and many many thanks to pippin88 who has managed to drive it through hardest place to the exit :)

Anyway, it was a great weekend!!!
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby radar on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:50 am

Same from me,

It was great to be there, highly recommended when you can. Thanks Birddog, again, for your great hospitality.

Now I'll have to get through all those shots :)

Cheers,

Radar

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:03 am

radar wrote:Same from me,

It was great to be there, highly recommended when you can. Thanks Birddog, again, for your great hospitality.

Now I'll have to get through all those shots :)

Cheers,

Radar

Radar,
There're always great companions when we do some outing like last Saturday, the next one at October Long WE and another during October month at Lake McQuairie as per your earlier thread.

We need to get out of the city and go shooting same as enjoying the magnificient surrounded environments, otherwise we're all missing out.
Birddog114
birddog114

Previous

Return to Sydney