Potential for a Gallery Exhibition

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Potential for a Gallery Exhibition

Postby sheepie on Thu May 12, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi all - I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves it's own one (IMHO)...

It seems I have a contact who owns a gallery in the city who may be interested in holding an exhibition of our work.
I have no other details as yet, but am looking to see if anyone is interested before I talk to them properly about it.

Anyone keen? Any ideas on how we could go about it? Should we hold a comp, or maybe just ask for submissions and work out the best, or maybe even take a couple of pics from each person?

Thanks!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Re: Potential for a Gallery Exhibition

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:20 pm

sheepie wrote:Hi all - I mentioned this in another thread, but it deserves it's own one (IMHO)...

It seems I have a contact who owns a gallery in the city who may be interested in holding an exhibition of our work.
I have no other details as yet, but am looking to see if anyone is interested before I talk to them properly about it.

Anyone keen? Any ideas on how we could go about it? Should we hold a comp, or maybe just ask for submissions and work out the best, or maybe even take a couple of pics from each person?

Thanks!

Great ideas on these sheepie!
My questions are:
- Printing and framing, do we have to do it prior to send to the gallery?
- Printing can be copped with but framing, it ain't cheap?
- Fees in doing this type of exhibition?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby rokkstar on Thu May 12, 2005 7:20 pm

Im interested.

I'm thinking submissions. What about basing the submissions on a theme? Or several themes. Depending on space I guess, we could enter a few images each to fit into different themed "rooms"?
Everyone is entitled to enter, a competition excludes people. THis way its a gallery of the communities work.

What do you think?
rokkstar

Postby leek on Thu May 12, 2005 7:22 pm

Great idea and potentially a great opportunity, but what would the objective of the exhibition be? a. from our point of view b. from your contact's point of view...

Just to display the works, or to sell them as well???

If we do go ahead, I would humbly suggest that we standardise on a particular framing action / mounting method and print them all in the same way to make it look more consistent...

Look forward to hearing more...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:22 pm

rokkstar wrote:Im interested.

I'm thinking submissions. What about basing the submissions on a theme? Or several themes. Depending on space I guess, we could enter a few images each to fit into different themed "rooms"?
Everyone is entitled to enter, a competition excludes people. THis way its a gallery of the communities work.

What do you think?

Matt,
Are you saying another comp and difference theme with what we're doing for the AA?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby rokkstar on Thu May 12, 2005 7:26 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
rokkstar wrote:Im interested.

What do you think?

Matt,
Are you saying another comp and difference theme with what we're doing for the AA?

No, I'm thinking we DONT have a comp because that way everyone can get some wall space. I dont know what other people think about this, but to have your pic up on the wall with other people looking at it must be such a cool feeling, and if the gallery is just a list of competition winners I think it might be a little dissapointing for those who havent won.

SO my personal take on it is that it would bea good opportunity to exhibit images by people who want to show them.
rokkstar

Postby MHD on Thu May 12, 2005 7:26 pm

I'm Keen!

I'm happy to pay a resonable amount for framing...
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby MHD on Thu May 12, 2005 7:28 pm

I agree for no comp...
Everyone who is willing to get a product ready, with say member status, should be alowed to enter.
And if there are to many takers we can rotate them!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby stubbsy on Thu May 12, 2005 7:36 pm

Good idea. Why not allow anyone to submit up to say three photos printed as they see fit, but not framed. Let the gallery choose the ones they think are best, then the person who's pic it is pays for the framing. If we got everything framed at the same place we may be able to negotiate a reduced rate.

Benefit of this is we don't have to pay to have something framed that isn't exhibited.

And I'd hope we can sell some. Need to fins what comission we pay the gallery too. PS I think this was Matt K's idea, but if he denies all knowledge then I thought of it first :D
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby MHD on Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 pm

I'm really Keen on this and offer any support that could help...

I like your idea peter... and yes, almost all places I talk to give reductions for bulk framing..

And I am happy to pay a substantial commision for sales, after all, it would be money I wouldnt have anyway!

Are we going to pick a standard size?
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Thu May 12, 2005 7:45 pm

I know the place, who can offer the good price of framing and I used them in most of my photos, painting.
It's the wholesale and framing factory!
Anyone is interested, pls. let me know.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Thu May 12, 2005 7:46 pm

MHD wrote:Are we going to pick a standard size?

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves - let me contact the people and find out what the story is. I'll try to do this over the weekend :)

Would be great to have an Anniversary Meet exhibition, but me thinks it might be a bit too soon - we'll see :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby mudder on Thu May 12, 2005 7:52 pm

That's a terrific idea, it would be such a buzz to have your stuff exhibited, and a thrill if it sold... Although probably more for the local NSW members as the best part would be seeing people's reactions and how the images are received I spose...

[/u]
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby Glen on Thu May 12, 2005 7:54 pm

I think this is great, but as both John and Birddy have said, the questions are:

What are the gallery owners objective?

Cost?

Knowing those answers allows us to progress forward in a fair manner to all, especially the gallery owner. No point us all admiring our own pictures if it doesn't meet his needs. Stubbsy's idea is good, and it could be done online for the owner by a pixspot account.

Leon great idea and organisation.
Glen

Postby MHD on Thu May 12, 2005 7:58 pm

I'm also happy to offer a site (similar to the challenge site) to do it...
Still got 10 subdomains to use on potofgrass :)
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby Onyx on Thu May 12, 2005 8:14 pm

Doesn't one member of our admin duo work at a gallery? Perhaps that person in question could also look into something for members of this forum...
Onyx

Postby thaddeus on Sun May 15, 2005 10:07 am

I'd like to exhibit one or two just to see what the reaction is! Any more details available?
thaddeus

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun May 15, 2005 10:57 am

Righ-ee-oh...

Ya'll don't seem to understand what exhibiting actually means.

If you choose to exhibit at a gallery space, you're usually purchasing a gallery space for a time period, and then while the exhibition is on, the people who are involved in the exhibition are watching it (i.e., sitting in the gallery making sure people don't steal things or people can have questions answered when they want information).

It also means that, essentially, the gallery doesn't pick your works.

The group of people exhibitioning pick the works and, someone who is good with picking where things should go does that.

Every gallery has a certain style regarding the way works flow inside the gallery...

It also means you have to have a budget for getting some invites done (which are usually little postcards) and for what you call the opening party... which usually consists of wine, beer, and a few munchies.

Any more questions?

We had to do a couple of exhibitions while I was at art school so, aside from the me-working-at-an-art-gallery bit, I've got some actual experience in putting them together and up.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sheepie on Sun May 15, 2005 11:12 am

Again, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. This is simply seeing if there is interest before I talk to the people who own/run this Pub which has a gallery.

These are people who my wife knows, and who have expressed a degree of interest in talking to us. Other than that, and until I actually speak with these people, I don't know any more details.
It does however look like there's enough interest to at least follow up, so thanks for the replies - I'll try and contact them over the next week and see what sort of gallery this actually is, and what conditions/costs may have to be met.
sheepie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sun May 15, 2005 12:31 pm

Glen,

Glen wrote:Knowing those answers allows us to progress forward

Been commentating the footy lately? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

D70 users Gallery space

Postby wendellt on Thu May 26, 2005 11:58 am

Hi all

this gallery idea is marvellous, i think if we organize it in a way that every D70 user donates some money into a slush fund, we could fund our own mini space at any number of jumpstart galleries out for hire in sydney
Leigh Jai would know all about getting gallery space

We need a theme though, every exhibition always challenges societies pre-conceptions on an issue, if the concept of the exhibition is nailed down,
it would be a hit!
count me in!
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Glen on Thu May 26, 2005 12:17 pm

gstark wrote:Glen,

Glen wrote:Knowing those answers allows us to progress forward

Been commentating the footy lately? :)

Watched Rex Mossop in my youth :lol: :lol: :lol: PS Sheepie, thanks for everything you are doing for this :wink:

8)
Glen

Postby robw25 on Thu May 26, 2005 2:30 pm

what would happen to the frames afterwards ? keep them for the next one maybe ? but that would mean "someone" has to change the photo's

still a great idea !!!
cheers rob
robw25

Postby ajo43 on Thu May 26, 2005 3:55 pm

I'd certainly like to register my interest. I'm not sure what the proposal is yet but I like the idea of hiring a galary and hanging my pics alongside yours.

Some ideas (and I have not experience in this)

- all frames the same
- everyone who displays pays for gallery hire, opening party etc in preportion to the number of pics hung
- selling price for pictures agreed by a sub-committee (which I don't want to be on!)
- i don't know how we go about having someone in the galary for the whole time it is open. I suspect we all have real jobs/studies etc that take up our days
- maximum of 2-3 pics per person
- sub-committee has the right to veto a picture
- no particular theme for photos (i think this would limit what we can use)

Good idea!
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby benno on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi All,
Just popped by to check on the latest D70 news and happened to see this 'exhibition' chat here. Some of you may know that I run Gallery Xposure in Rozelle, Sydney. I would be delighted to chat more about putting on a group show. We have Exposure 5 coming up soon which is 4 photographers showing 7 works each. There is also a Tafe show in October with 11 photographers. I know the rules for this forum, and I'm only bringing this to your attention because I may be able to help out. All gallery info can be seen at http://www.galleryxposure.com

ALAN
benno

Postby MHD on Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:00 pm

hmmm... interesting!!

How many (say framed 8x12) images could you display at a time during an exhibition...

I for one have no problem with your post as fits in well with the thread...
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby benno on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:46 pm

You could fit probably between 25 to 30 quite comfortably. I'm not really keen on double hanging too much ie two frames on the one dropper.

Al
benno

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:48 pm

It really depends on how the double hanging turns out in relation to what the space looks like, doesn't it? :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby benno on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:02 pm

There are two issues with this, the first being that the frames don't actually sit too well against the wall. This can be remedied if you use 2 hangers but we would soon run out of them if we did! The other problem that can arise is that the gallery becomes too cluttered. We always say less is more! I'm definitely not against some doubled hanged images though as this can break up the single row pattern and look quite interesting.

AL
benno

Postby MHD on Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:16 pm

benno wrote:You could fit probably between 25 to 30 quite comfortably. I'm not really keen on double hanging too much ie two frames on the one dropper.

Al

so that would mean only ~$50 per picture

Sorry to send this down a blatantly commercial route but do you get many sales (given the work is good)?

Perhaps this is an option...
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby benno on Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Sales of images can vary greatly. There maybe only a few sales or over $6000 of print sales as in our last show on Antarctica. It pays to have smaller , unframed prints on the table to entice the customers as well as the other images on the wall.

Al
benno

Group Show July

Postby benno on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 am

If someone is ready to show 7 colour images later this month then let me know asap. I am looking for one more photographer. Must be very eye catching, with good colour saturation. Could be a good try out for the Nikon show maybe?

AL
benno

Return to Sydney