Another swimming pool that has banned photography...

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby rog on Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:37 am

Hi all, I'm new here, a friend of Leek's, photography enthusiast, but not a D70 owner (I hope we can be friends anyway ;) ).

A little thinking out loud after the latest update from from Leek ...

The act referred to in the council's response can be seen (if I've done my research properly) at:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/ ... /s632.html

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but that law seems to cover penalties for "Acting contrary to notices erected by councils", it does not state "that Council has the power ... to erect a notice requiring customers to request permission". _If_ there is a higher law that can show that erecting such a notice is illegal (which I believe may be the case, hence their possible attempt to cloud the issue), then _perhaps_ s 632 can not be enforced and is irrelevant. Maybe a visit to the aquatic centre for a photographic study in aquatic centre ceilings (and nothing else) could prove interesting. :)

Anyway, I'll probably tag along with Leek to the meet tomorrow (checks clock, ahem, today), so I better get some sleep.

Cheers,
- Rog
rog

Postby Onyx on Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:53 am

rog wrote:Maybe a visit to the aquatic centre for a photographic study in aquatic centre ceilings (and nothing else) could prove interesting....
 LOL Welcome Rog. I second this motion for our next D70 users meet. :)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:37 am

Welcome ROG,
Happy to join the protest at any swimming centre with big glasses pointing to their management faces.
Did I say before, The Mayor and GM are in bed.
Welcome to the mini meet, you'll meet lot of friendly faces and having lot of fun.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby leek on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Almost a year since the last post, but I am very pleased to announce that the signs prohibiting photography inside the Lane Cove Aquatic Centre have been removed... :cheers:

I checked all over the place this morning and couldn't see any other signs or rules that had replaced them.

I'll put it to the test next week and take my D70 along... and maybe the SB-800 as well - just to make it really obvious...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Alpha_7 on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:23 pm

leek wrote:Almost a year since the last post, but I am very pleased to announce that the signs prohibiting photography inside the Lane Cove Aquatic Centre have been removed... :cheers:

I checked all over the place this morning and couldn't see any other signs or rules that had replaced them.

I'll put it to the test next week and take my D70 along... and maybe the SB-800 as well - just to make it really obvious...

Excellent news, I look forward to your report, D70 and SB-800 in tow.
Alpha_7

Postby Glen on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:15 pm

John, your one man campaign paid off. Well done
Glen

Postby Rick on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:45 pm

I have followed this thread with interest, it seems that common sense may have won out in the end.

On the subject of photography in public places I was having a beer at the Opera House forcourt (my favourite place on the harbour) a couple of weeks ago and picked up a brouchure about the area, on the back page there was some detail regarding photography, I cant recall the exact wording but it stated that as it was public area photography was permitted and encouraged, however if the photography was for commercial use a permit was required and a fee would be charged, fair enough. It also said more as a statement of fact than a warning that if you are in the area you may appear in a photo and there was nothing you could do about it.

I think this should be the accepted standard for all public places, beaches,pools, parks etc.

Cheers and well done Leek.

Rick.
Rick

Postby PiroStitch on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:09 pm

Great to hear leek! :D Bring the 80-400 as well just to rub it in ;)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby gunn parker on Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:48 pm

I wish you well in your battle,
Andrew
Fuji Finepix s9500>>>D70s 18-70 lens
gunn parker

Postby gstark on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:34 am

Wayne,

PiroStitch wrote:Bring the 80-400 as well just to rub it in ;)

Within the context of this thread and some of the fears behind the reasoning for this sort of BS, this has to be a very poor choice of words. :)

Or else it's just me. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sydney