Harbour Bridge Anniversary

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Harbour Bridge Anniversary

Postby norbert on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:37 am

Anyone going down for the anniversary lighting of the bridge. Its only on the 19th from what I can gather, and underneath the deck is supposed to be lit up blue, and other architectural highlights are also going to be lit. IIRC only between 8-11pm on the 19th.

Also other activities that may be of interest:
The bridge will be closed to traffic on Sunday from 4.30am (AEDT) until 11pm, with walkers making the crossing between 10am and 9pm.

<snip>

The day will begin with a flypast of Tiger Moths from the 1930s, with further aerial displays by aircraft from later decades, including Harvards, Constellations, Catalinas and C130s, and ending with F-111s and a Boeing 747.

The RAAF's Red Berets will join the pageant with a parachute display.

There will be noise and action on the waters of Sydney harbour, too, as hundreds of vessels including ferries, tall ships and pleasure craft toot their horns to mark the start of the anniversary walk at 9am (AEDT).

Numbers have been capped at just over 200,000.

Info available from various news sources - there was one mockup done of how it would appear at night, but i cant find the article
norbert

Postby norbert on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:20 am

norbert

Postby michael_ on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:37 am

730-800pm i am booked in , not sure if i will make it yet though
michael_

Postby jberth1 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:12 pm

Yep - I'm booked in at 1pm - had to make it a family friendly time. My father crossed the bridge on the opening day as a 7 YO - my daughter will be crossing it on it's 75th anniversary...as a 7 YO !!

Should be a fun day - lots of entertainment has been planned -there are lots of aerial fly pasts planned, with aircraft from each decade since the opening doing a fly past every hour. The Red Berets will be doing a flag and smoke jump just to the east off Cremorne at around 1pm.

http://www.ourbridge.com.au/common/pdf/ ... tGuide.pdf

Cheers

Justin
jberth1

Return to Sydney