Jenolan Caves, March 20, 2005

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gleff on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:53 am

As far as shooting location.. I guess we should make sure that whichever we choose eg. three sisters, or Gollems Leap (or whatever it's called), it's facing west so we actually have a sunset.. I suppose it also depends on the weather.. The forcast isn't looking too promising so far..

As for dinner.. i'm easy.. as long as they cater for normal things eg. a steak, or something.. i'm happy.. I don't like seafood :)

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 am

gleff,
Weather forecast is storm and rain for the week-end, but i have to wait until Friday so I can judge it, I don't trust all the weathermen 100%, I judge it by myself with my eyes.
If weather turns bad then I won't go anywhere. That was my rules in my aviation carreer. I'm better grounded myself :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:33 pm

leek wrote:Please let me know if there are any errors in these details...

Leek,

As circumstances have changed and I found myself free on Saturday we are coming on 19/03/05, booked a room in Blackheath Motor Inn. We are coming for sunset workshop but not sure about dinner yet
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:35 pm

Hlop wrote:
leek wrote:Please let me know if there are any errors in these details...

Leek,

As circumstances have changed and I found myself free on Saturday we are coming on 19/03/05, booked a room in Blackheath Motor Inn. We are coming for sunset workshop but not sure about dinner yet

Hilop,
Bring along the Vodka against the Aussie red :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:38 pm

gleff wrote:As far as shooting location.. I guess we should make sure that whichever we choose eg. three sisters, or Gollems Leap (or whatever it's called), it's facing west so we actually have a sunset.. I suppose it also depends on the weather.. The forcast isn't looking too promising so far..

Oh... this raises another question then... Rather than taking pics of the sun, I had anticipated looking East to get the light from the sunset on the cliffs... Govatt's Leap and Evans' Lookout (in Blackheath) look North and East over the gorge with pretty spectacular views of the cliffs (and maybe a waterfall) ...

I'm not sure which way the lookout at Three Sisters faces, but I hadn't envisaged driving all the way too and from Katoomba anyway...

What do people want to do for the photo shoot??? We really need to decide this first before booking anywhere for dinner... If we're going to shoot the sunset at the Three Sisters, we're not likely to get back to Blackheath in time for dinner...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:40 pm

me, Blackheath!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:47 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Hilop,
Bring along the Vodka against the Aussie red :lol:

I won't do that or we will have to cancel Jenolan Caves trip next day because of total group hangover :) Especially, if you mix vodka with aussie red. Unrepeatable results are guaranteed :D
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Hlop on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:48 pm

Birddog114 wrote:me, Blackheath!

Me too. We were in Katoomba 2 times in last 3 month :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:48 pm

Just in case you want to see the sort of views that are available from Blackheath, have a look here: http://www.bluemountainsphotos.com/bmp/main_page.htm

Of course we would all take better photos than that, but they're good enough to give you an idea...
Cheers, John

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:58 pm

Leek,
My suggestion is based at Blackheath and I know everyone will be heading there, if someone wants to go for 3 sisters then they can go.
We will be at Blackheath.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gleff on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:09 pm

leek wrote:
What do people want to do for the photo shoot??? We really need to decide this first before booking anywhere for dinner... If we're going to shoot the sunset at the Three Sisters, we're not likely to get back to Blackheath in time for dinner...

My vote is for Govatt's leap.. not as many blow flies.. and I don't particularly want to drive back to katoomba either. I want a quick escape after dinner :)

Geoff

Postby hedge on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:42 pm

howdy all,

Been following this whole thread (through all its twisting turning 15 pages) and thought i'd pipe in now. My girlfriend and i are planning on heading to blackheath for the weekend (parents holiday house) and thought we may join in for the dinner on sat night if that's cool (assuming our plans don't fall through)? Would be up for the blackheath shoot also.

Spoke to my folks and they suggested a good location for the shoot would be Mt Blackheath. Faces west and is only 5-10 min drive from the middle of Blackheath. You can drive the whole way there with only a touch of good dirt at the end. There are also a few places you can walk to if you're keen...

I've had it pointed out to me that chances of getting a table at Vulcans is slim to bugger all. Apparently needs to be booked months in advance.. Other suggestions were the Piedmont Inn (italian) who should be able to take a group (they have an upstairs room for bulk crowds). There's also The Ivanhoe or the Gardners that both do pretty decent pub meals (ivanhoe is the more pubby of the two) and Ho's Palace chinese...

anyways, just a few thoughts for you all,

cheers,

adam
He who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused...
hedge

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:45 pm

hedge & leek,
I think we might ask hedge to help us to source the restaurant can cater the number of our people. Italian should be fine.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gleff on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:46 pm

hedge wrote:anyways, just a few thoughts for you all,

cheers,

adam

Mmmmm.. Italian sounds good to me.. as long as it's traditional stuff.. like pizza, lasagna, spaghetti etc..

Geoff

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Birddog114 wrote:hedge & leek,
I think we might ask hedge to help us to source the restaurant can cater the number of our people. Italian should be fine.

Italian is fine by me also.

So far as where to shoot - blackheath for me.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby hedge on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm

Just rang the Piedmont and they have groups at 6:30 and 7:30 but may be able to take a good sized group (i counted roughly 17 on the chart on page 13 if that's up to date?) after that.

I guessed if there were sunset shots going on we wouldn't be ready till after dark - about 8-8:30 maybe?

From memory they do pretty good gourmet style pizzas. That's all i've had from them. If that is where people want to go it would prob be a good idea to book it by wed/thursday. If all else fails I reckon the Ivanhoe could take a big group without bookings and we'd have drinks while we waited ;-)

cheers,

adam

Details - Piedmont Inn Pizza & Italian Restaurant
248 Great Western Hwy Blackheath NSW 2785
(02) 4787 7769
hedge

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:10 pm

hedge,
I think you can helps us that ends, it's great.
Thanks
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:24 pm

Hmmm Italian dim sims! Fine by me.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:57 pm

hedge wrote:Just rang the Piedmont and they have groups at 6:30 and 7:30 but may be able to take a good sized group (i counted roughly 17 on the chart on page 13 if that's up to date?) after that.

I guessed if there were sunset shots going on we wouldn't be ready till after dark - about 8-8:30 maybe?

From memory they do pretty good gourmet style pizzas. That's all i've had from them. If that is where people want to go it would prob be a good idea to book it by wed/thursday. If all else fails I reckon the Ivanhoe could take a big group without bookings and we'd have drinks while we waited ;-)

cheers,

adam

Details - Piedmont Inn Pizza & Italian Restaurant
248 Great Western Hwy Blackheath NSW 2785
(02) 4787 7769

hedge
Sounds good...

I've now updated the totals on page 13 and we have 17 for dinner ( + yourselves and possibly plus MHD & partner)... On the other hand we might have a few cancellations if the weather is bad...

Can you please book the Piedmont for 8 for 8:30 for 20 people... we can always revise it down later...
Thanks for your help...

Not sure if its possible, but did you want to join us for the caves visit? I'll have to check with Nigels first though...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby hedge on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:56 am

Leek, will make the booking today for 20 and tell them it may go up or down a few. I'll try and book 8pm but if we have to slip to 8:30 i guess we can always have a time filling ale at the pub...

Not sure about the caves visit? Would quite like to but the whole day thing is pretty full on. If there are options for a half day or so that would be pretty cool. What's the go with girlfriends etc on this little jaunt? If there are too many of the group is getting too large i'm not fussed to miss out. Been there before and had planned on going mountain biking on sunday anyways.

cheers,

adam
hedge

Postby gstark on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:19 pm

Adam,

While the day sounds like it'll be a very long one, Nigel has stated that there will be relatively easy access to exit points throughout the tour/day, so perhaps an early escape is not going to be out of the question.

Certainly, I'm not in exactly the greatest physical condition, and I'll be looking at less, rather than more, in terms of steps and time. :)

And your girlfriend is more than welcome.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:28 pm

I’m with you on that Gary - never know if the legs will keep going or not :cry: so I am going to take it easy on the day :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby hedge on Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:53 pm

hey all, the piedmont inn can't take a booking for that many on sat night due to a few other bookings. The guy said we could pop in on sat night and if there weren't too many walk he may be able to fit us...

I rang Ho's Palace and they can take us if necessary. BYO but they charge about $4 or $5 corkage per head. Their food is better than country chinese i'm told. Need to confirm them by friday.

Haven't had any luck getting through to either of the pubs yet although i expect the Ivanhoe would take us. It is pub meals but pretty reasonably priced. Gardners is a bit more pricey, less variety and slightly higher class. Eg, barramundi and chips rather than fish and chips ;-)

I don't know of anywhere else that could take 20 people. Although Blackheath has a great fish and chip shop ;-)

Any suggestions or preferences?

adam
hedge

Postby nigels on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,

The parking and camping vouchers are now available at the following site
http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/d70users.htm

Please note "htm"

There is also some small additional information there.

Please excuse the quality of the page as it was certainly conpleted in a hurry

Kindest regards
Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby sheepie on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm

nigels wrote:The parking and camping vouchers are now available at the following site

Thanks Nige - I see the camping is for Sat and Sunday nights - can you let us know what the rate is for Friday please (not concerned if we need to pay for Friday, just need to know how much - won't be taking much cash with us!).

Thanks heaps, and look forward to meeting you on Sunday :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:56 pm

sheepie wrote:
nigels wrote:The parking and camping vouchers are now available at the following site

Thanks Nige - I see the camping is for Sat and Sunday nights - can you let us know what the rate is for Friday please (not concerned if we need to pay for Friday, just need to know how much - won't be taking much cash with us!).

Thanks heaps, and look forward to meeting you on Sunday :)

sheepie,
Friday night is 6 stars and reserved for VIP only! :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:59 pm

Birddog114 wrote:sheepie,

That's why we'll be there! Us and MHD are 6-star campers! lol
sheepie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:06 pm

sheepie wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:sheepie,

That's why we'll be there! Us and MHD are 6-star campers! lol

Only your family and MHD's family, I thought few campers from the beginning, prepare yourself a good waterproof shelters, it's going to be wet until Sunday..
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:10 pm

OK. I probably missed something again and will be asking dumb questions :)

1. Blackheath
a) at what time we're meeting for workshop?
b) where we're going to meet for workshop?

2. Jenolan Caves
a) 9am?
b) parking or should we go to the office?
c) lunch? Is it possible to buy something there or should we bring lunch with us?
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby hedge on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:13 pm

righto, made a few more calls and we're down to two choices on sat night for dinner. Ho's palace chinese or the ivanhoe pub. The only other thing would be if we broke into smaller groups and went to a few different places. Maybe meet up for pre and/or post dinner drinks at one of the pubs.

Either way i'll need to confirm thu or fri at the latest. Votes?

adam
hedge

Postby gleff on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Hlop wrote:OK. I probably missed something again and will be asking dumb questions :)

1. Blackheath
a) at what time we're meeting for workshop?
b) where we're going to meet for workshop?

2. Jenolan Caves
a) 9am?
b) parking or should we go to the office?
c) lunch? Is it possible to buy something there or should we bring lunch with us?

I believe we're meeting at the bus let off point just after the archway at 9am. I think it will easy to spot.. it'll be the place with loads of camera gear and tripods :)

As far as lunch.. they do have food to buy, but from memory the last time I was there, it kinda sucked big time, so if you want good food, you're probably better off bringing your own. Having said that.. I'm a single bachelor and will probably buy it because i'm too lazy to make it beforehand :)

Geoff

Postby gleff on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:20 pm

hedge wrote:righto, made a few more calls and we're down to two choices on sat night for dinner. Ho's palace chinese or the ivanhoe pub. The only other thing would be if we broke into smaller groups and went to a few different places. Maybe meet up for pre and/or post dinner drinks at one of the pubs.

Either way i'll need to confirm thu or fri at the latest. Votes?

adam

I prefer a real meal rather than pub food.. Is Ho's palace chinese, normal chinese food like beef and blackbean, sweet & sour pork, chicken dishes etc. PS. glad the restaurant isn't located in the USA.. interesting name :)

On another note: This could be pretty cool.. My expodisc is in transit as we speak.. Hopefully i'll have it by the weekend.

Postby MHD on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:45 pm

nigels wrote:Hi Guys and Gals,

The parking and camping vouchers are now available at the following site

Please note "htm"

There is also some small additional information there.

Please excuse the quality of the page as it was certainly conpleted in a hurry

Kindest regards
Nige

Awesome stuff mate!

Cant wait...

I see sheepie has his tent up in anticipation!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby MHD on Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:46 pm

sorry, one more thing... where is the camping ground?
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby sheepie on Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:13 pm

MHD wrote:sorry, one more thing... where is the camping ground?

hrmmm - ahhhh - yeah - we'll need this info too!
sheepie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:12 pm

sheepie wrote:
MHD wrote:sorry, one more thing... where is the camping ground?

hrmmm - ahhhh - yeah - we'll need this info too!

early of this thread, 150m from the gate and it's next to the car park, I mentioned it and abouth the walking track from the car park to the Caves's main office with many opportutinity photo shooting spots.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:56 am

What are we going to do or do we have any alternative plans at Blackheath on Saturday if we have a wet week-end?
It seems to me the weather is not in our favour this time of the year.
Your thoughts
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:12 am

Birddog114 wrote:What are we going to do or do we have any alternative plans at Blackheath on Saturday if we have a wet week-end?
Your thoughts

Wear a raincoat?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
sheepie
Key Member

Postby gleff on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:17 am

Birddog114 wrote:What are we going to do or do we have any alternative plans at Blackheath on Saturday if we have a wet week-end?
Your thoughts

I agree.. I think we should cancel the sat. night photo session if it's wet.

But we need to come up with a plan on where to meet at least, and when on saturday night, before tomorrow night.

I know 3 people are staying at the blackheath motor inn.. that's one possibility on where to meet. Any other suggestions?

Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:19 am

sheepie wrote:
Your thoughts

Wear a raincoat?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Of course, those raincoats will be reserved and dedicated for the campers :wink:
For the Blackheath team, they have warm bed with fireplace and stay in comfy all night long :wink: after enjoying a nice good meal at one of the restaurant in the area :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Rick on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:23 am

If it continues to rain Saturday would be a good time to check out the mountain waterfalls.

Cheers Rick
Rick

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:24 am

gleff wrote:
Your thoughts

I agree.. I think we should cancel the sat. night photo session if it's wet.

But we need to come up with a plan on where to meet at least, and when on saturday night, before tomorrow night.

I know 3 people are staying at the blackheath motor inn.. that's one possibility on where to meet. Any other suggestions?

Geoff

I'm just a dash in and dash out if weather permitted! so not important for me! I always play safe and well look ahead, cos I have more gears and I don't want to get busted if something turns sour.

If the weather changes, then a 2 hrs drive will take me to Blackheath with the team for the Sunset shoot and dinner otherwise, I stay back and do the learning on my D2x at my base camp.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:27 am

Rick wrote:If it continues to rain Saturday would be a good time to check out the mountain waterfalls.

Cheers Rick

Rick,
Great ideas! but will we get wet while we stay out under the rain and hunting photos or photo opportunities? I'm not interested!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MHD on Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:49 am

Last time I checked the forecast it was not that awfull...
"shower or two"...

actually this kind of weather system often produces great sunsets... at the moment it is post frontal cloud, which is usually broken... with lots of nice gaps for the sun to get through....

I dont know the topography of the mountains well but depending on wind direction jenolan/blackheath may also get rainshadowed a bit....
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby Hlop on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:00 am

Birddog114 wrote: I always play safe and well look ahead, cos I have more gears and I don't want to get busted if something turns sour.

So, here you're telling us that you cant just bring a body and couple of lens for workshop? :) You always need to pack all things that you've got in the storage and carry them? :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Hlop on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:04 am

MHD wrote:Last time I checked the forecast it was not that awfull...
"shower or two"...

actually this kind of weather system often produces great sunsets... at the moment it is post frontal cloud, which is usually broken... with lots of nice gaps for the sun to get through....

Saturday : A few showers. SE winds.
Sydney: 17 22
Liverpool: 14 23
Penrith: 15 24
Richmond: 14 24

It might be not too bad as you're saying. At least, almost everyone has a partner to hold an umbrella over the camera and let photographer work :) For people with no partner we can give a hand to help :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:07 am

Hlop wrote:
Birddog114 wrote: I always play safe and well look ahead, cos I have more gears and I don't want to get busted if something turns sour.

So, here you're telling us that you cant just bring a body and couple of lens for workshop? :) You always need to pack all things that you've got in the storage and carry them? :)

Hilop, for me? I always have a full truck load of my gears when I'm travelling, especially heading to Blackheath with 200-400VR to shoot birds, wildlife.
My gears consisting of D70/ D100/ D2h/ D2x (ETA Friday 18/03) and number of at least 10 other lenses + 3 set of tripods in tow.
If I'm going I'll be in the area around 2:00PM. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:13 am

Saturday : A few showers. SE winds.
Sydney: 17 22
Liverpool: 14 23
Penrith: 15 24
Richmond: 14 24

It might be not too bad as you're saying. At least, almost everyone has a partner to hold an umbrella over the camera and let photographer work For people with no partner we can give a hand to help

Hilop,
I won't take these above into account, and I'm waiting to have my final decision on Saturday morning :wink:
I don't want to play under the rain or under the umbrella, thanks. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Hlop on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:14 am

Birddog114 wrote:Hilop, for me? I always have a full truck load of my gears when I'm travelling, especially heading to Blackheath with 200-400VR to shoot birds, wildlife.
My gears consisting of D70/ D100/ D2h/ D2x (ETA Friday 18/03) and number of at least 10 other lenses + 3 set of tripods in tow.

Does Lowepro make photo trolleys? :)

Our estimated time is between 4pm and 5pm or so
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:22 am

Hlop wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:Hilop, for me? I always have a full truck load of my gears when I'm travelling, especially heading to Blackheath with 200-400VR to shoot birds, wildlife.

Does Lowepro make photo trolleys? :)

Our estimated time is between 4pm and 5pm or so

Hilop,
I have a team of 4 assistants btw, they do great jobs so far, and they're well trained as military life in boot camp, only say : YES, never talk back, do first and complaint after, that's my policies to govern:shock: so no trolley needed :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney