Motorsport is dangerous

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Motorsport is dangerous

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:35 pm

Very dangerous.

And through the good graces of member ABG (Andrew) three members of this forum are going to be able to enjoy a unique experience: motorsports up close, and, effectively, in the raw.

For those who do not know this, Andrew runs U-Drive Race Cars. One of the basic aims of the business is that it permits ordinary people to go out onto a race circuit, in a real race car, and experience the thrills of what it's like to drive an open wheeler.

I'm sure Andrew will add to this description in the highly likely event that I have not been adequate or accurate.

But Andrew has kindly offered, and on behalf of the group, I have accepted, an invitation for a very small group of members to attend a drive day at Oran Park, with a view to shooting images of the cars being driven, from a number of different vantage points.

From our perspective, there are two primary goals. The first is as a training venture for those wishing to gain some experience in shooting rasing cars. Techniques such as trap focus, and panning, will be likely to get a good workout, and be able to be honed.

The second is to be able to experience photography from parts of the circuit not normally accessible to the public on racedays. This means that we should be able to take advantage of better and different points of view, and we should be able to learn a bit more about the circuit.

But ...

As I said in my subject for this message, motorsport is dangerous. Our primary focus for this day will NOT be photography, but safety. We do not want anything untoward to happen to you.

Attendees will be required to attend any briefings that Andrew and his staff deem appropriate. My expectation is that there will be a drivers' briefing at the commencement of the day, and attendance at this will be compulsory. No briefing == no photos. it's that simple.

Andrew and his staff, and of course the owners of the circuit and their staff, will be in charge for the day, and attendees will be required to acquaint themselves with any and all OHS requirements as directed, and to follow any directions given by those people. Attendees will be required to make themselves known to those people, although I expect that this will, in a practical sense, be done by the group, as a whole, rather than individually.

And of course, attendees will be there at their own risk. Access to the infield, pit lane and other areas that would normally be off limits will be granted, but there are risks associated with any aspect of motor sport. We cannot gloss over this.

Andrew has also asked that photographers make available some images to U-Drive so that they may be used for U-Drive's promotional purposes. I think that this is a most reasonable request, and each attendee will be expected to provide a selection of images to Andrew for this use.

With the important stuff out of the way, the details are that numbers are deliberately being kept low. 3 people, maximum. That's it!

It will be an all day event, so be prepared.

The first of these (yes, I'm hoping that there will be more, and also in cities other than Sydney) will be at Oran Park, on November 10. That's a Friday.

Because of the limited numbers that thisevent can accommodate, I'm asking that interested parties send me an email, and I will work out the details with you and Andrew so that we can make this event a worthwhile experience for all parties.

Photographers, start your cameras!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Amazing opportunity Gary and ABG! Looking forward to seeing this develop :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby BBJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:27 pm

Sounds good Garry and i am sure you will get lots of takers all after a spot for this event. Goot to get some new skills and see just what goes on at events like this. So thanks to Andrew for offering this chance to some of the members up that way.

I have been accredited by Grand Prix Corporation so will be very busy at Moto GP in a couple of weeks time, so this is a great opportunity for those wishing to try there hand at Motorsport.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby sheepie on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:36 pm

BBJ wrote:I have been accredited by Grand Prix Corporation...

Congrats on that John - you've worked hard, and had some good luck along the way as well ;) Look forward to seeing some really great shotsm especially now you're on 'the inside' - make sure you get some good crashes again!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Kyle on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:22 pm

What an AWESOME opportunity!

Email sent Gary. Hopefully I can attend :):):)
Kyle

Postby Nogshale on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Sounds like fun.

Email also sent....
Nogshale

Postby Yi-P on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:35 pm

3 people, maximum. That's it!

How are the attendee selected from this. 3 is a very small number compared to the amount of member who are interested in this.
Yi-P

Postby Paul on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Another great oppertunity for members to get hands on experience at track side. :D
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Kyle on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:05 pm

Yi-P wrote:
3 people, maximum. That's it!

How are the attendee selected from this. 3 is a very small number compared to the amount of member who are interested in this.

Too true, I hope i made it :? :( :)

I'd pay good money to have this experience!
Kyle

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:10 pm

I already have more than enough names for this. :)

Yes, 3 names is very small, but the day is going to be prety well unrestricted. As such, we need to be mindful of who is where, and any more people than this could very quickly become problematic.

I will probably do it on a first in, best dressed basis, but having the extra names is a good thing in case someone decides they cannot make it, and it can also be useful for the next time we do this.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MCWB on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:22 pm

Ahh, the 10th is a no-go for me unfortunately. :( Have fun guys! :)
MCWB

Postby ABG on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Hi Gary,

Just came across this post now - sorry for not responding earlier.

You've encapsulated everything very well indeed. There's really nothing more that I can add. Just one small clarification. I manage U-Drive, but I'm not the owner of the business.

We've had a few pro photographers out getting images for us and for our re-sellers over the years and never had any major issues. In fact, it's generally been a heap of fun for all concerned.

However, as Gary has said, the risks associated with such an activity should not be under-estimated. There's a very good reason you're not usually allowed into many of the areas around the track on a normal race weekend - they're dangerous and the event organisers aren't prepared to underwrite the risk. Remember also that the drivers going around in our cars are inexperienced and frequently do unexpected things! While U-Drive and DSLR will do everything possible to make the event as safe as possible, you are attending at your own risk.

Gary and I are currently discussing the possibility of having members from Queensland and Victoria attending drive days in those states as well. Stay tuned for more details. Those who miss out on this event shouldn't panic as I'm sure there'll be more dates made available to the forum in future (depending upon how this first one goes of course).

I'm looking forward to seeing those attending at the track soon! :)

Oh, and if any forum members are interested in attending one of our drive days, shoot me a PM. We'll happily give you a very healthy discount. Same rules apply as gaining access to the bargains section.
Andrew
ABG

Postby ABG on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:43 pm

BBJ wrote:I have been accredited by Grand Prix Corporation so will be very busy at Moto GP in a couple of weeks time

Wow, congratulations John. That's awesome! To use a much hackneyed cliche, it must be a dream come true for you. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.
Andrew
ABG

Postby Kyle on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:06 pm

ABG wrote:Oh, and if any forum members are interested in attending one of our drive days, shoot me a PM. We'll happily give you a very healthy discount. Same rules apply as gaining access to the bargains section.

I'd be keen on that also :D
Kyle

Postby MCWB on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Kyle wrote:I'd be keen on that also :D

Ditto, and it's my birthday on Tuesday, hmm... :D
MCWB

Postby Kyle on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:03 pm

MCWB wrote:
Kyle wrote:I'd be keen on that also :D

Ditto, and it's my birthday on Tuesday, hmm... :D

Mine is the 25th, i'll be roadtripping back from jamboree :D

Might see if i can score a trackday for it :up:

Hope I get selected for this event, I love motorsport photography :D
Kyle

Postby norbs on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:05 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity.
norbs

Postby Raskill on Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:59 pm

This sounds like a great idea. :)
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby BBJ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:00 pm

ABG wrote:
BBJ wrote:I have been accredited by Grand Prix Corporation so will be very busy at Moto GP in a couple of weeks time

Wow, congratulations John. That's awesome! To use a much hackneyed cliche, it must be a dream come true for you. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

Andrew, it is great as i really didn't think i would put in for it but my mate a Canon shooter who marketed my shots from last year told me too so thought why not as i had all credentials to get into to it.
Just for others who may not have done this process here is the info needed to get it.

In order to be eligible to be considered for media accreditation, a member of the media will need to submit the following to the Australian Grand Prix Corporation:

A formal request on headed paper signed by the Editor / Program Director
Samples of publication / program
Examples the 2005 or 2006 MotoGP coverage
Details of circulation / audience
Details of previous motor sport event accreditation
A completed official 2006 Media Pass Application Form (supplied when above criteria met)
No publication disrtibuted free of charge can be accredited.

Due to available facilities and for safety reasons, there are strict restrictions on the number of national credentials issued for the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix.

Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Kyle on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Is this still going ahead? :D
Kyle

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:42 pm

Fantastic op for you guys. Another idea is to approach the car clubs that hold track days with driving instructors and schools. Most instructors / schools will allow a photog onto the circuit and the marshals will keep an eye on them.

Invest in a safety vest and learn where a car is likely to run off, and don't stand there (those spots do make for some great photo ops though).

I've been lucky enough to be involved with the XR6 and XR8 club and the WRX Club of QLD up here in Brisbane. I am currently following the Indy Rally around, no track access but still great practice and oppurtunity.
bwhinnen

Postby ozczecho on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:52 pm

Gee..how did I miss this post :( :( :( Damn :( :( :(

Sounds like a heap of fun, and the offer from Andrew also sounds great *now when is Santa coming?*
ozczecho

Postby gstark on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:01 am

Kyle wrote:Is this still going ahead? :D

I need to check with Andrew, but I suspect that due to considerations that affect Andrew and his business interests, this event won't be happening.

I'll advise further within the next few days.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:25 am

bwhinnen wrote:Fantastic op for you guys. Another idea is to approach the car clubs that hold track days with driving instructors and schools. Most instructors / schools will allow a photog onto the circuit and the marshals will keep an eye on them.

Invest in a safety vest and learn where a car is likely to run off, and don't stand there (those spots do make for some great photo ops though).

I've been lucky enough to be involved with the XR6 and XR8 club and the WRX Club of QLD up here in Brisbane. I am currently following the Indy Rally around, no track access but still great practice and oppurtunity.

Hi Brett - nice to see you back here. I don't think you have posted for a while.

Incidentally, we have new rules about signatures. You can see them in our FAQ area, but I have included them below for you. Thanks in advance.

Signature blocks
Signature blocks may be text only, and should not extend beyond four lines of text. Graphical signature blocks (and any direct references to them) are specifically banned, and will be removed by administrators. Should you decide to offend a second time, you risk suspension or being banned from this site.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby byrt_001 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:38 am

hi

wow what oppotunity

christian
check my website>> http://www.6701.sunpixs.com
byrt_001

Return to Sydney