Aroma Coffee @ The Rocks

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Aroma Coffee @ The Rocks

Postby sheepie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm

*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:24 pm

While I'm working the next two Saturdays, I don't have anything yet planned for the Sunday and this might be an opportunity to see if I -- as a tea drinker -- am missing out on anything in the coffee-world.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:37 pm

I'm concerned that there will be a plethora of .... flavored coffees. Leon, can you provide any information on this point?

The inclusion of "flavoured" coffees would exclude me from attendance. I have an issue with so-called flavoured coffees in that I'm of the belief that coffee already has a flavour - It's coffee!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Uh oh ....

Smooth jazz alert!
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:40 pm

I went a couple of years back, and don't recall any flavoured varieties - most were genuine roasters.
Biggest problem as I remember it was getting close to anything with all the annoying people about ;)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 am

Thanx Leon. I'm still worried about the smooth jazz.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:25 am

Surely this would be worth going to just for the "AASCA Australian Latte Art Championships" :shock:

And Gary, it's not just smooth jazz it's even better :lol:
Smooth jazz tunes, laid back lounge and other earthy beats

Maybe that's to slow people down after they've drunk 20 x $1 cups of coffee and are acting like they're on speed.

Leon Apologies for being :ot: , but I couldn't help myself. Honest :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby optogamut on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:58 am

I've been to a couple of these, last year the lines where just too long for the decent roasters, it took so long to get a coffee!! :evil: I think I left early and went to a cafe.

I just had a coolpix5700 back then.
- Danny
D70, CP700, F80, FM, F, 50/1.8, 28-105,....

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety." -Plato
optogamut

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:16 am

Peter,

Smooth jazz ??? It's really just bad R&B with mogadon.

Danny,

which part of The Rocks is that? :) Looks like the extreme southern end to me. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rokkstar on Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:44 am

Tis my birthday on Sunday :lol:
Be great to get a coffee or two strolling around the harbour getting some great street shots of people.
I might be there Leon.
Matt
rokkstar

Postby optogamut on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:58 pm

gstark wrote:Danny,

which part of The Rocks is that? :) Looks like the extreme southern end to me. :)

No compass. :? But that's right near the MCA (RHS in shot) and Circular Quay, many stalls are set up in that park between MCA and Circular Quay station.
- Danny
D70, CP700, F80, FM, F, 50/1.8, 28-105,....

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety." -Plato
optogamut

Postby el nino on Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:50 pm

If anyone is into espresso (or drinks which are built on a base of espresso), the Aroma festival is fully worth it.

gstark wrote:I'm concerned that there will be a plethora of .... flavored coffees....
The inclusion of "flavoured" coffees would exclude me from attendance. I have an issue with so-called flavoured coffees in that I'm of the belief that coffee already has a flavour - It's coffee!

Hear, hear!
There will be a fair bit of the flavoured stuff around the festival, but you should be able to sniff out some decent speciality roasters. (i.e. those that say nay to flavourings, roast in small batches and make their coffee with care). Unfortunately it is very hard to make a decent espresso in an open air environment, but there should be some awesome baristas behind a few booths - check out the Barista Guild stand.
This years festival has a 'Meet the Champions' booth, with current WBC winner Klaus Thomspen, World Latte Art champ Scott Callaghan and past Australian champ.
The International Catering Trade Fair is on from the 23rd-26th. There are some courses being run, more aimed at the pros, but also open to homeboys.
http://www.ictf.com.au/
http://www.aasca.com/23.html
WBC - http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/WBCHistory.htm

stubbsy wrote:Surely this would be worth going to just for the "AASCA Australian Latte Art Championships" :shock:

el nino

Postby el nino on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 pm

http://www.therocks.com/content/dyncont ... div=100013
A list with the timing of various events, wish I could make the trip up there, but my travel budget is blown out after an overseas holiday. I wanna see pics! :)
el nino

Postby sheepie on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:49 pm

OK guys - I'm intending to be there by 10am at the latest, will probably leave Hurstville Station as close to 9am as possible (obviously depending on trains!).

If anyone wants to catch up while there, suggest you PM me your mobile number and I'll send mine in return.

There's a couple of the 'seminar' sessions I'd like to get to, but most of the time I'll just be wandering and absorbing the atmosphere :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:16 am

I've had a late day of working (yes, work on a Saturday) and theatre meetings today but I'll probably try to aim for a 10-11 getting-out-there-edness... and then I think after the day, I have to work out a way to get to Rozelle I think.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sheepie on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:21 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I've had a late day of working (yes, work on a Saturday) and theatre meetings today but I'll probably try to aim for a 10-11 getting-out-there-edness... and then I think after the day, I have to work out a way to get to Rozelle I think.

cool - give me a call when/if you get there :)
sheepie
Key Member

Return to Sydney