America Bay

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

America Bay

Postby aim54x on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Just a few from this weekends walk in Ku Ring Gai Chase NP...

Walking into the sunset

America Bay (Stacked ND4 and ND8 Grads and C-Pol)

America Bay (Stacked ND4 and ND8 Grads and C-Pol)

HDR
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Re: America Bay

Postby wendellt on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:05 pm

all nice
but i love that first one, it has a very bittersweet memory feel
who is that?
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby biggerry on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:15 pm

That first one is premo...i reckon it would be perfect if you had taken just two steps back to get her in the whole frame!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:33 pm

Love the #1 Cameron. I just wish you had shot using a 10mm etc so that the whole person can be included. Also more oft he road. Looks more like a wendell.... :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 am

wendellt wrote:all nice
but i love that first one, it has a very bittersweet memory feel
who is that?

Thanks Wendell! It was really a spur of the moment shot that I pictured, I had to warm the image to get the effect in my mind but I am very happy with it. Who is it? Just a friend of a friend....kinda wish I could offer something more interesting.

biggerry wrote:That first one is premo...i reckon it would be perfect if you had taken just two steps back to get her in the whole frame!

surenj wrote:Love the #1 Cameron. I just wish you had shot using a 10mm etc so that the whole person can be included. Also more oft he road. Looks more like a wendell.... :mrgreen:

Thanks guys. I had a good look at the few I did snap...and nothing that is crop worthy...they simply dont have the same light spill. She is a rather small girl so I would have had to shoot from a lower position to get the same light spill whilst getting her all in. Next time I guess.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photomarcs on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey Dude! =D

Love the shots!!!! colors are great mate :) pleasing the eye very much so! ^^

Only thing I'll critique is the last image, in the top corners. They kind of scream to me "clone me out," I guess they come with filter stacking haha great shots buddy!
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby zafra52 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:18 pm

I like the first one best too.
zafra52

Postby dawesy on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 pm

#1 for me. I love the blown sky and the low contrast look, I also love that we can't see the subjects face but instead get drawn down the road that she is walking. The way your eyes star with her and get drawn to around the corner leave you wondering what is there, why she is going that way, who she is. It's a great story teller even if it only tells half a story. Captivating!
dawesy

Postby aim54x on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Thanks for the comments. I really liked the first myself...and opportunistic shot that I snapped knowing that I would need to warm it up with a golden glow, but it worked well.

As for stacked filter effect, yes I should clone those corners out...I dont know how I forgot to do so :oops:
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:56 am

The first one is tops; the second two are choice; the HDR isn't as good - it seems to lack contrast.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby glamy on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi Cameron,
Number one for me as well for all the reasons mentioned above and I really like #2 as well, the colours, saturation, composition, all nice to me.
glamy

Postby aim54x on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:The first one is tops; the second two are choice; the HDR isn't as good - it seems to lack contrast.

Thanks...I didnt quite get the HDR to work as well as I hoped...next time I guess

glamy wrote:Hi Cameron,
Number one for me as well for all the reasons mentioned above and I really like #2 as well, the colours, saturation, composition, all nice to me.

It is a bit late to cry about it now, but do you think the image would have been better if there wasnt filter glare?
Cameron
aim54x

Postby zafra52 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:28 pm

It is a bit late to cry about it now, but do you think the image would have been better if there wasnt filter glare?

Possibly not because it has a wonderful simplicity and realism to it and that's what caught my eyes. It is as if I were looking at the scene myself instead of the photographer. That’s how I would have seen it with the naked eye; and this is my humble opinion.
zafra52

Postby surenj on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:37 pm

aim54x wrote:It is a bit late to cry about it now, but do you think the image would have been better if there wasnt filter glare?

Not sure but Zafra makes an interesting point!

If you are bothered by it, you can still salvage it by carefully cloning and increasing contrast on that area.

Now that I look at this from my home monitor, #3 appears a little dark. Looking at the exif though, it was probably a pretty bright scene as you have removed about 7 stops of light from it!
surenj

Postby aim54x on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:06 pm

zafra52 wrote:

Possibly not because it has a wonderful simplicity and realism to it and that's what caught my eyes. It is as if I were looking at the scene myself instead of the photographer. That’s how I would have seen it with the naked eye; and this is my humble opinion.

I am pretty undecided about the filter glare, but you have raised a very valid point, that sun did make me squint a bit.

surenj wrote:If you are bothered by it, you can still salvage it by carefully cloning and increasing contrast on that area.

Now that I look at this from my home monitor, #3 appears a little dark. Looking at the exif though, it was probably a pretty bright scene as you have removed about 7 stops of light from it!

That sounds like too much work for me.... :biglaugh: but thanks for the suggestion.

What are you reading the exif with (I cant find anywhere in exiftool that reads -7 stops of light removed)?? I know that I didnt do anything like that in post, it was *working from memory* curve manipulation then some colour tempreture/contrast/saturation adjustment. There simply was nothing in those shadows worth pulling out....dark the image is, but I liked the overall look (maybe my monitors dont show it as dark as yours does)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby surenj on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:40 pm

aim54x wrote:What are you reading the exif with (I cant find anywhere in exiftool that reads -7 stops of light removed)?? I know that I didnt do anything like that in post, it was *working from memory* curve manipulation then some colour tempreture/contrast/saturation adjustment. There simply was nothing in those shadows worth pulling out....dark the image is, but I liked the overall look (maybe my monitors dont show it as dark as yours does)

I just added your ND 4+ 8+ CPL to get the 7 stops give or take.... :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby aim54x on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 pm

surenj wrote:
aim54x wrote:What are you reading the exif with (I cant find anywhere in exiftool that reads -7 stops of light removed)?? I know that I didnt do anything like that in post, it was *working from memory* curve manipulation then some colour tempreture/contrast/saturation adjustment. There simply was nothing in those shadows worth pulling out....dark the image is, but I liked the overall look (maybe my monitors dont show it as dark as yours does)

I just added your ND 4+ 8+ CPL to get the 7 stops give or take.... :mrgreen:

LOls....that is about 6 stops (or is it 5...I have heard a few interpretations) but when you add the C-pol then you will get to approx 7 stops...but the ND's are both grads...so i was only knocking back the sky...
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Onyx on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:53 am

I like it - the HDR works very well. Not too outrageous it's believable... :)
Onyx

Postby eric_r on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Nice images Cam!

This may be a silly question but is there any particular way of capturing a shot like #1 or is it just a matter or catching the right light/angle etc? :oops:
Sony a300 - 18mm-70mm f/3.5-5.6, 55mm-200mm f/4-5.6 & tripod

Olympus OM10 - Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 50mm Macro (1:2.8) f/2.8, Zuiko 100mm-200mm f/4 & T20 Flash

Dont ask to edit, just do it!
eric_r

Postby aim54x on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 pm

eric_r wrote:This may be a silly question but is there any particular way of capturing a shot like #1 or is it just a matter or catching the right light/angle etc? :oops:

there really isnt that much of a trick to it...just timing, light and angle. I warmed it up a bit in post process to match what I saw, but if I had been bothered to shift my white balance whilst i was shooting i wouldnt have had to.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Killakoala on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:12 pm

That first image is very retro, very 1970s. It has the Jenny Agutter feel about it, like in the movie 'Walkabout.' Made me feel 30 years younger. :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby aim54x on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:59 am

Killakoala wrote:That first image is very retro, very 1970s. It has the Jenny Agutter feel about it, like in the movie 'Walkabout.' Made me feel 30 years younger. :)

that reference went right over my head.....
Cameron
aim54x

Postby marcotrov on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 am

Love the set but the first is a beautifully conceptualised image.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques