Some of my rather ordinary pictures...

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Some of my rather ordinary pictures...

Postby glamy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:52 pm

I'd like to have some opinion about the artefacts on DSC_033. What is it called and how to avoid it?
http://www.pbase.com/glalamy/root
Cheers,
G. Lamy
glamy

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:01 pm

Gerard, I can't see the artifacts, but then again I am seriously in need of new glasses.

However, I reckon a crop just above the line of the flowers at the back of the field could make for a more dramatic composition.

Overall, you have some good shots there, nothing ordinary about them at all. I particularly like 15r.

Looking forward to seeing some more.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Re: Some of my rather ordinary pictures...

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:08 pm

glamy wrote:I'd like to have some opinion about the artefacts on DSC_033. What is it called and how to avoid it?
Cheers,
G. Lamy

Like Greg I can’t see any artefacts - a very nice set of pics - it may seem strange but the one that took my eye was 33r

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby glamy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:18 pm

Thank you for the replies, I do appreciate. The artefacts are on 33r, in the fog one can see a halo type of rings. This seems to happen when there is too much sky...
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby Greg B on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:21 pm

Funny, I looked at 33r in case that was the one you meant, but I couldn't see any artifacts on that one either! My eyes are well stuffed.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:31 pm

Glamy - took the photo into PS and could still not see any halo effects but I did see that you have some sensor gunk towards the top left hand side. Maybe if you give the sensor a clean the halos may disappear!!!

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby meicw on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:38 pm

Gerard, I could'nt see any artifacts either. You have some good shots there. My fav is 060.

Regards
Meic
meicw

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:47 pm

I too can't see any haloing on 33r, however it is usually caused by the JPEG compression. If it becomers a problem, just back off the compression a bit when you convert them. There is a noticable 'dust bunny' in the top left area. Time to clean your CCD :)

They are all nice pics, with thoughtful composition.

One thing i might add is that i think you would be better off loading and using a custom curve for landscapes, such as the Digital_Fuji or Digital_Agfa which tend to get a bit more colour and contrast out of long distance shots. I use the Digital_Agfa and i find it not only brings out more 'oomph' from the image but also increases colour saturation especially with greens and blues. This would be very effective with your snow shots, brining out the blue sky more, such as a polariser can do. If it's used in conjunction with a polariser, it can be even more effective.

There is a plethora of curves available in the 'important links' section of the forum along with info on how to use them.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:14 pm

You obviously ran it through Photoshop... perhaps you're confusing artifacts for the way jpeg's look after they go thru Photoshop's web conversion algorithms?
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby glamy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:46 pm

I am really pleased with your interest and comments. I posted another picture called artefacts. What you can see in the sky is what I can see in the NEF file as well. This is the "In Box". This is present to a lesser extent in 33r and as you can see may get very annoying.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby glamy on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Steve,
I am not using Nikon Capture which I think is required to download custom curves on the D70. This was my first outing with the 12-24 Sigma and agree this could look better but am not keen on donloading stuff into the D70.
Cheers,
Gerard
glamy

Postby mudder on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:55 pm

G'day Glamy,
I'm struggling to see the artefacts or halos, but I really enjoyed the pics... I like your style and compositions... 0060 and 0082 are my favorites... Very nice...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby glamy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 pm

It may be more obvious on that shot...
Cheers,
Gerard
http://www.pbase.com/glalamy/image/38160840
glamy

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:20 am

I see nothing ordinary about those photos, maybe a little leveling and perhaps some colour saturation on some. For some reason DSC_0014 appeals to me, perhaps crop out some of the excess sky but I really like it.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

JPEG Compression

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:18 am

Hi there

I can see the halos that you refer to,and like nnnnsic, I think they are probably from compression - either at your end, or at PBase.
Sometimes you see halos like this from oversharpening, too.

Nice pix though. :D
the foto fanatic

Postby Mj on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:43 am

glamy wrote:Steve,
I am not using Nikon Capture which I think is required to download custom curves on the D70. This was my first outing with the 12-24 Sigma and agree this could look better but am not keen on donloading stuff into the D70.
Cheers,
Gerard

That's correct Gerard... at the minute you do need Capture to load a curve... let me tell you that it is quite straight forward and plenty of assistance to be had here if and when required.

At this point though you're probably better off leaving them for another day... you can get plenty from the D70 without embedding curves and can do all the adjustments you might desire in PS.

Michael.
Mj

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques