Lexar EBay dud CompactFlash

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lexar EBay dud CompactFlash

Postby Mouse Trap on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:20 pm

Hi Guys and Gals a new member .

A little warning about Aussie memory on Ebay I purchased a 512mb 80x cf Professional good price on ebay it arrived via USA??? could not format or use the card in a loaner D70 Dha on Led screen computer card reader could not read card. Aussie memory did not answer emails until 10 days later when i made out i was interested in buying a 2gig card!!! (Question to Aussie memory) if i have a warrenty claim what do I do (Answer) "Lexar"
Build Better Mouse Traps!
Mouse Trap

Postby gstark on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:54 pm

Mouse Trap,

Welcome.

Sorry to hear about your poor experience; are Aussie Memory going to stand by the warranty? Did they indicate - before your first bid - that they would be shipping to you ex-USA?

Will Lexar's Oz distributors honour the warranty?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:55 pm

This is not unusual as I posted before everytime, member posted a new thread in Bargain Section:
New Lexar or Sandisk card cheap on eBay or somewhere, cos I'm one of the local reseller of Lexar and Sandisk and few other memory makers.
I warned all our members about the cheap, unusual deals of CF cards.
if they are from O/S stocks, and you did not know very well their biz or never had any experiences with them then there's a bad luck for you if something goes wrong.
I have at least five emails every week with peolpe asked me about their grey faulty CF cards but local Lexar or Sandisk Disti. refused to honour their local warranty.
Look at one edge of the card it has all the serial number and batch on it, and the local disti based on it to provide their service.
Try your luck!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Mouse Trap on Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:33 pm

Thank-You for the welcome.

From the EBay listing, how would you read it???
Please beware of Overseas Sellers that list their Auction currency in AUD but request the billing currency in their own Country's currency. (Eg, US Sellers list their Auction in AUD but request billing currency in $US). They will also request you to convert your total, including shipping and handling, into $US using websites such as http://www.xe.com for foreign exchange rate. This is where YOU WILL LOOSE OUT. Due to the significant difference in the exchange rate offered by websites such as http://www.xe.com and your local bank, you will end up paying alot more than your winning bid price. Eg, If you won an item for a total price of $200AUD including shipping but they request billing currency in US, you will end up with a bill on your credit card of at least about $220AUD or even more!!! Therefore, even if overseas sellers have a slightly cheaper price, there are too many HIDDEN COST involved!
The listing did mention the card was in australia funds went into aust bank also??? Maybe Birddog has insight into these things more than I.

Now I thought I was dealing with a aust reseller with a product based in Australia. We learn and move on. If interested will give the details of dealing with two of the Lexar aust reps and the Lexar USA live chat
Mouse Trap

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:08 pm

gstark wrote:Mouse Trap,

Will Lexar's Oz distributors honour the warranty?

No and no and no, they won't even want to talk to you!

Normally with Lexar or Sandisk products, you have to return to the original point of purchase and they will do their job. Their Disti. sold to me, their invoice got serial number of it on the the bar code of the package.

If I want to return for warranty, then request an RMA with Invoice number/ DOP/ etc... if I send in the card does not match the serial number on their invoice, then I 'll have fun by paying two ways courier.

Lexar only appointed an Australian Disti. for them same as Sandisk. That why I received couple email from some strangers about their "lemon"Lexar or Sandisk card after they saw I my posts on this forum abour CF card from overseas and its related warranty.
Yeah, there's always has someones lurk our forum.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby petal666 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:23 am

Mouse Trap wrote:Now I thought I was dealing with a aust reseller with a product based in Australia. We learn and move on. If interested will give the details of dealing with two of the Lexar aust reps and the Lexar USA live chat

Mouse-trap, if you had read the complete listing you would have seen the line:

"Item will ship from our US warehouse"
petal666

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:46 am

petal666 wrote:
Mouse Trap wrote:Now I thought I was dealing with a aust reseller with a product based in Australia. We learn and move on. If interested will give the details of dealing with two of the Lexar aust reps and the Lexar USA live chat

Mouse-trap, if you had read the complete listing you would have seen the line:

"Item will ship from our US warehouse"

Thanx Petal. That's what I was trying to find out. If they're saying this up front, then I doubt that there's been any deception. IAC, if you're ever unclear about something, email them with the question. The speed of the response will often tell you as much about them as its quality and content.

In this case, Mouse Trap, I suspect that you're SOL.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Fair go guys posting a warning dont need a lecture!

Postby Mouse Trap on Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:53 pm

:( the details of location are as follows:

Item location: WORLDWIDE SHIPPING--NO GST!!
Australia

My last posting on this subject!

Thanks Kristine for your posting on the remote.
I paid await its arrival.
Mouse Trap

Re: Fair go guys posting a warning dont need a lecture!

Postby gstark on Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:14 pm

Mouse Trap,

Mouse Trap wrote::( the details of location are as follows:

Item location: WORLDWIDE SHIPPING--NO GST!!
Australia

I see that on their current listings; if that was also on the listing for which you bid - and especially with the large print warning they're publishing - I'd say that they have a case to answer.

If they published as Petal suggested, then it's a different story.

Have they come back to you as yet with any explanation?

If they haven't, have you considered leaving them negative feedback on ebay? You might want to remind them of that option in a form of a final request to them for an explanation of the misleading description of the product.

And please, don't become defensive about this; we're not trying to criticise you; we're actually trying to understand all of the facts so that we can try to help you get a resolution to the problem.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby pirx on Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:02 pm

got similar problem with 2gb sandisk bought from the same dealer - it died after 870mb was written to it.

Initially the seller asked me if I formatted it. Then, after assuring him that I did and asking for replacement he told me to go to sandisk site and ask for support there. In all fairness, he stated in his ebay add that the warranty is from the producer.

I went to sandisk site, registered my problem and couple of days later got redirected to VME Solutions in Australia (Melbourn). Ian there was very helpful and I got the card shipped express post (after shipping the faulty one to them).

While doing that, I received an email from the dealer that if I wll send him the card he will send me a replacement.

Overall a bit of a hassle, but it wasn't completely bad. Sandisk support does work and the dealer obviously tried to be helpful in the end.
pirx

Postby Mouse Trap on Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:04 pm

Hmm the sarga goese on and on three emails to Aussiememory later a reply giving details of their original purchase who from date and invoice number. I have lodged a Rha from with Lexar Usa with all details and wait a reply all things XXXXXed. Also I have lodged a followup feedback on Aussiememory, I had given a positive as to the speed and good price at the time. As loaner D70 had not arrived or my new Toy D70 was not ordered so card was untested at that time. Being prepared I had brought memory and other things in antisipation of the arrival !!!!! :) My first problem with o/s Ebay sellers. I have had cash refunds if problems with local products twice before.
Mouse Trap

Postby Killakoala on Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:36 pm

yes, i agree. Generally Ebay dealers are good but there are a few bad eggs that give the rest a bad name. Unfortunately, that's not just a problem with ebay, but retailers in general.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Return to Equipment Reviews