Portable Media Players

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Portable Media Players

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:54 pm

Hi, I'm currently looking at a Portable Media Player for carrying around MP3s and storing photos in the field. All I believe I will need is a 20gb solution and wWhat I've come across over the past couple of days are the following:

Archos AV420
iRiver PMP120
iRiver PMC
RCA Thomson Lyra
Epson P-2000
Viewsonic PVP
Creative Zen Portable Media Center
Samsung YEPP YH-999

Which one would be the best to get is the question :)
Last edited by kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kipper

Re: Portable Media Players

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:11 pm

[quote="kipper"]Hi, I'm currently looking at a Portable Media Player for carrying around MP3s and storing photos in the field. All I believe I will need is a 20gb solution and wWhat I've come across over the past couple of days are the following:

Archos AV420
iRiver PMP120
RCA Thomson Lyra
Epson P-2000
Viewsonic PVP
Creative Zen Portable Media Center
Samsung YEPP YH-999

Archos AV420 Over 1G
iRiver PMP120
RCA Thomson Lyra
Epson P-2000 Over 1G/ not available in our market yet
Viewsonic PVP
Creative Zen Portable Media Center/ Close to 1G but did not built in card reader
Samsung YEPP YH-999/ Not available in our market

Some of above items are in North America's market
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:24 pm

Yeah but they're heading here either now or by early next year according to news reports. With the Creative Zen PMC you mentioned that it has no CF reader. Does the iRiver? From what I've seen the iRiver has USB to Go, does the Zen have anything similar?
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:28 pm

kipper wrote:Yeah but they're heading here either now or by early next year according to news reports. With the Creative Zen PMC you mentioned that it has no CF reader. Does the iRiver? From what I've seen the iRiver has USB to Go, does the Zen have anything similar?

Yes the Zen has USB but can only transfer data/ photo/ music/video to and from a PC, I thought want a total solution that can be used once you're on the field and copy images from your CF cards to the device.
Sorry, I re-read yor question: you only want media player.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:47 pm

Nah you got it right the first time Birdy. I do want a PMP/PMC that also allows me to transfer from my digital camera to the PMP/PMC in the field.

I just know that some devices instead of having a CF reader onboard they have USB-2-Go which allows you to hook up a camera directly to the device.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:49 pm

kipper wrote:Nah you got it right the first time Birdy. I do want a PMP/PMC that also allows me to transfer from my digital camera to the PMP/PMC in the field.

I just know that some devices instead of having a CF reader onboard they have USB-2-Go which allows you to hook up a camera directly to the device.

Yes they have the USB-2, but the camera won't transfer photo to the device by itself, you do need a PC or a PDA to work with.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:55 pm

Nah I'm not talking about USB2.0, I'm talking about USB-On-The-Go which is totally different. I was reading it just before it allows you to connect a USB based camera to these devices.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/pmp-120.aspx

Read what it says under the features. Clearly states allows connection to digital cameras directly.
kipper

Postby kipper on Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:56 pm

While we're talking about it there is the iRiver PMC-120 which is a new product which is Windows based. The others the iRiver PMP-100 Series are I think a Linux based device.

Editted: Looks like from a few reviews that the iRiver PMP-120 and Archos AV420 are better because it supports more video formats. The iRiver PMC-120 only supports WMV.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:09 pm

Sorry, misunderstand again, none of these are available, so we don't know how it work?
Secondly, whoever connect this device to the dslr, it will quick draining of battery of both the camera and device.
Thirdly, we will get very annoying with the USB cord is hanging around to the device, and one you are on shooting, i'm sure you don't want to do any work around it by plug and unplug the USB cable.

The best method is remove the CF and insert into its slot and do the transfer or have number of CF cards with you and will do the transfer to the PSD later, not so many people connect the camera to the USB port nowaday.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:07 pm

We'll for you that didn't know I'd placed an order for an Archos AV420 about 1 week ago at eXpansys australia, with them having 0 in stock. The ordered price was $800 and to my disbelief today their price has jumped to $1139. I phoned the guy today and he said mine would be shipping within the next week at the ordered price and they'd be taking a loss on the order :)
kipper

Postby Raydar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:20 pm

kipper wrote:We'll for you that didn't know I'd placed an order for an Archos AV420 about 1 week ago at eXpansys australia, with them having 0 in stock. The ordered price was $800 and to my disbelief today their price has jumped to $1139. I phoned the guy today and he said mine would be shipping within the next week at the ordered price and they'd be taking a loss on the order :)

Just as well mate!!!!!

Good score with that one :shock:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Return to Equipment Reviews