Camboom

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Camboom

Postby Rusty W. Griswald on Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Anyone watch the new inventors on the ABC?

http://abc.net.au/newinventors/

It's a large boom you can put the camera on the end of.

http://www.camboom.com/camboom_sales_website.htm
The Standard Camboom ... $ 6,950 inc GST

Three words... I WANT ONE

Three more words... CAN'T AFFORD IT :-)
Rusty W. Griswald

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:26 am

I use my Manfrotto monopod exactly the same way with the remote control. Cost - $120 + the IR control 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:21 am

I better saving that such $$$$ for something else or a new VR glass! otherwise my kids will use it for the fishing rod :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

baby boom

Postby rjlhughes on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:16 am

I looked at the extending poles for paint rollers at Bunnings and thought about putting the camera on them and activating with the remote, too.

As the Camboom site suggests it would give you some interesting angles. I did mostly think about using it to get above the heads of crowds, though.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjlhughes/
rjlhughes

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:46 am

Bob,

Take the poles for paint rollers, mount a ball head on top, and then use something like a CP5700 running a live video feed into a small tv/video interface so that you can see what you're pointing at.

Can the newer super-PHD cams (8800, etc) be driven through NC ? If so ....
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

or perhaps

Postby rjlhughes on Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:53 am

Gary,

good high tech solution.

My thought was to just take a real lot of shots, and call the ones with the odd horizon artistic.....

but seriously would be great for Mardi Gras, and maybe sports.....

The shrek like view point would make for some interesting shots, I'd think.

Got a very little ball head that fits on a clamp which I'm yet to use instead of the mini tripod. But would ant to be sure that the camera was very
secure on the poles.
Bob

"It is always the instantaneous reaction to oneself that produces a photograph." Robert Frank

rjlhughes

Re: or perhaps

Postby gstark on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:04 am

rjlhughes wrote:Got a very little ball head that fits on a clamp which I'm yet to use instead of the mini tripod. But would ant to be sure that the camera was very secure on the poles.

I could use the ballhead from my Manfrotto tableltop tripod. It's tiny, but surprisingly solid, in that it'll hold the D70 + 80-400.

That head, a 5700/8800 style PHD, wired back to a laptop (handheld?) with suitable controls enabled would be rather cool, especially, as you say, for the Mardi Gras.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

cheapie

Postby rjlhughes on Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:15 am

Mine's a cheapie - branded Giotto, that and the G clamp that also holds a camera cost $45 from bits.com.au.

I've carried a Teds mini tripod with flexible legs in my bag for a while and found it quite useful with the p&s.

I've yet to give the G clamp and head a run - partly because I can shoot at faster speeds with the DSLR. But I can see it would be ideal for shooting from a car for example, when you attach to the door window.

My girlfriend spent last weekend in South Africa and visited a game park - it would have been ideal for her giraffe shots from the car, I reckon.
Bob

rjlhughes

Return to Equipment Reviews