PD7X Memory Card Mass Storage Device 30GB

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Andyt on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:59 am

Purchased 10 weeks ago, $300, so far have "dumped" near 50 cards.

Pro's:
Compact size, comes with decent carry pouch with belt loop
Metal outer case
Speed - fast copying of cards and fast (USB2) uploads to computer
Onboard battery charging - comes with usual charger
4 x AA Batteries - rechargeable or other H/duty normal batteries
Price - Value for money

Cons:

Battery end cap seems flimsy
Restricted access to switch when uploading to computer with charging cord attached

Recommended:

Yes! An economical and practical means of portable storage when travelling for extended periods or just out for the day, no more worries about running out of memory.
Andyt

Postby Matt. K on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:09 am

Thanks for the infor Andyt
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:49 am

Thanks Andy. I want to get something like this, and you can't beat feedback from someone who has used one.

I assume you can run it straight from mains power - is that correct?

Cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Andyt on Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:37 pm

Hi! GregB,

It is recommended that when uploading to the computer the unit is connected to mains power via the charging unit, something about keeping the voltage stable when file transfer is in progress. Other than that while the spec's claim up to 50+ cards can be stored / copied on a full charge I leave the unit connected to the mains so as to ensure that it is always fully charged when needed.

More info' is available at: http://www.jaldigital.com.au/catalog/pr ... cts_id=244

Cheers!

Andyt
Andyt

Postby kipper on Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:10 pm

I too just purchased one of these from JAL Digital today for $160 inc gst. Which is the unit excluding a HDD as I have a 2.5 30gb laptop drive at home. Had some initial dramas trying to work out why it wasn't working once I plugged the drive in and the drive has to be formatted to FAT32. So I'm about to format the drive now from NTFS.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:03 pm

kipper wrote:I too just purchased one of these from JAL Digital today for $160 inc gst. Which is the unit excluding a HDD as I have a 2.5 30gb laptop drive at home. Had some initial dramas trying to work out why it wasn't working once I plugged the drive in and the drive has to be formatted to FAT32. So I'm about to format the drive now from NTFS.

Kipper,
i thought you are very keen on some PSD like the Archos or Multimedia :lol: BTW, my Nikon Coolwalker is sitting in front of me right now and it's smiling, next week a brand new Epson P2000 will land here for me to have a play with, Xmas present from my buddies in the old military days.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:08 pm

Birddog114 wrote: next week a brand new Epson P2000 will land here for me to have a play with, Xmas present from my buddies in the old military days.

You should have told them about the R-D1.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:14 pm

You should have told them about the R-D1.

Gary,
I can't ask too much, they're too generous to donate me a P-2000. :D
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:38 pm

Yeah, yeah I know Birddog.....but the lense and leg lust is strong in this one :D

Plus I've been doing a bit of thinking and taking into consideration what you and other people say here. If I really want to view the images that badly a 3.5" tft lcd isn't going to show that much detail. However I can always pop into an internet cafe on my travels and have a cafe late and check out the pictures on one of their PCs. If I want to get any printed, just mark down which ones are good and take them to a photoshop.
kipper

Postby birddog114 on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:42 pm

kipper wrote:However I can always pop into an internet cafe on my travels and have a cafe late and check out the pictures on one of their PCs.

kipper,
don't expect all the internet cafe PC have the card reader built in or have a card reader for loan :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby kipper on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:51 pm

The CompactDrive PD7X is a CF/MD/SD/MMC/MS reader that copies a 1gb CF in less then < 3minutes to a 2.5" laptop drive. Then you can expose that drive as a USB portable hdd. Now the last I looked most internet cafes in Australia have USB ports :)
kipper

Postby Raydar on Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Looks like you'll have a busy Xmas Birdy :wink:

Have fun :D

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Return to Equipment Reviews