LG DVD burner

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

LG DVD burner

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:50 am

Ha all just finished backing up all my NEF files onto DVD :shock:

Last week I picked up a LG, GSA – 4160B 16x Super multi DVD Rewriter.
As far as I know it’s only been recently released.

I can say to anyone looking at getting a DVD burner for the money this is a ripper.
It comes with Nero & heaps of other software that’s actually usable.

I haven’t tried the DVD Ram thing yet but I will give it ago & fill you in.

This is a link to the 12x model
http://au.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?ac ... el=NOTHING

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Re: LG DVD burner

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Raydar wrote:Ha all just finished backing up all my NEF files onto DVD :shock:

Last week I picked up a LG, GSA – 4160B 16x Super multi DVD Rewriter.
As far as I know it’s only been recently released.

I can say to anyone looking at getting a DVD burner for the money this is a ripper.
It comes with Nero & heaps of other software that’s actually usable.

I haven’t tried the DVD Ram thing yet but I will give it ago & fill you in.

This is a link to the 12x model
http://au.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?ac ... el=NOTHING

Cheers

Is it dual layer or just single side?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:12 pm

Yeah Birdy it’s duel layer as well as supporting all the DVD formats.

Picked it up for $130, I was happy with that!!!!

Cheers
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

What a bargain

Postby Geoff on Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:49 pm

Bargain indeed..well done :D
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:14 pm

You probably would have been better off with either the NEC or Pioneer equivalent as, from what I remember, the burn quality is somewhat lacking in comparison on the LG models.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Going off some of the test results I have see on this model they look to be up with the higher brands.
& cheaper.
Got to be happy with that!!!! :D

Cheers
Raydar

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:07 pm

SONY DRU-710A/ Dual layer/ retail pack $155.00 quite good value! 16x DVD RW/ +/-.
Birddog114
birddog114

Hmmm

Postby Geoff on Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:37 pm

Do they actually have the discs yet (i.e dual layer discs)..and how much per piece at the moment are they?

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Yes.. I've seen them range from 10 to 18 bucks.

And birddog, I'd probably still aim for a Pioneer or NEC drive over the Sony drives... Sony just use badge-engineered Lite-On drives... plus, the NEC and Pioneer are likely to be cheaper.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Greg B on Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:38 pm

The Lite On drives/burners generally, have outperformed some of the "name" brands (according to tests in APC mag I think it was - these were CD burner tests, not DVD burners). They are very cheap and reliable. I have a Lite On CD burner at the moment, and it has not missed a beat.

I am waiting for the prices of the DVD media to come down a bit, then I'll be buying, and it will be Lite On, the motto of which should be The Good Burner with the Crappy Name.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:17 pm

I have the LG GSA-4040B single layer DVD burner for over 12 months and i have had absolutely NO problems or errors burning on various types of blank media. I've burned over 200 DVD movies. However a friend of mine has a Lite-on burner (Not sure which model but the same vintage) and has made many coasters from his blank DVD's.

I will be sticking to LG when i buy a DVD dual layer burner for sure.

I have considered Pioneer as my DVD player is a Pioneer DV-266 and it plays anything i throw at it.

LG is underrated, SONY is overrated. Pioneer is well rated and NEC has had good reports but i've never used one.

I have a LITE-ON CD-R burner that has no problem burning CD's but i don't need to use it anymore as the LG DVD burns CD well enough, although a little slower (24x V 48x)

I will never purchase anything made by SONY ever again after being bitten by their dumb repair policy. (I needed to buy a $5 part for a SONY Video i once owned, but when i tried to buy the part i was told that i needed to take the video to an 'authorised' repairer as SONY does not sell parts to the general public. I drove 50klms to the nearest repairer and was told that it would cost $200 to repair it including labour. I told them to get stuffed as i was not going to pay them $195 to replace a $5 part that i could do myself in 15 minutes. They said that it was the only way i would get it repaired. I told them i wasn't about to get ripped off so i left and drove the 50klms home. I wrote a letter to SONY complaining about their policy but of course i never heard anything back. So now i have boycotted SONY and encourage all my friends to do the same. Stuff SONY :evil: )
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby birddog114 on Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:49 pm

OK, How about Pioneer DVR-108 = $110.00/ 16x Dual layer,
Lite-On 1633S DOUBLE LAYER,INT.16xDVD-DUAL,DVD+(16x4x2.4),DVD-(8x4x12)NERO $113.00 GST Inc.
LGE GSA-4160BB 16X DUAL LAYER BEIGE OEM $120.00 GST Inc.
how is it sound?
Of course it comes with Nero and other bit & pieces.
I have all of these drives in our PCs, Sony/ Pioneer/ LG/ Lite-On/ Samsung/ Acer, and have opportunity to use them often as archive files, photo etc... People come to the meet next week will see them.
And we burn ton of DVD blank media from Princo, Laser, Verbatim, Sony, Imation, BenQ, I did not see any problems with any drives, and never have a bad experiences as many people stated, of course, you need to upload firmware time to time from Sony and Pioneer drives, Nero is a bit dislike some old firmware and perhaps there was problems.
I use both Nero and Roxio, OEM or retail pack
I agreed some drives have fast and slow writing in comparison but not bad at all, it's also depend on good or bad experiences like myself:
I won't buy a Holden Commodore again, here's the story:
in 1989, I bought a brand new VN, drove from Sydney to Newscastle, after Sydney Old Town, the gear box broken with 250km on the clock, my first bomb. Tried Holden again in 1992 with a brand new Berlina Wagon VR model, again after two month and around 2000k on the clock, the wellplug gone and the engine is overheated, the car had to be towed from Bulli top back to Sydney, since then I never look back to any sign or badge of Holden, but perhaps I always have no luck with them, then moved to Japs or European car and be happy since.
I 've seen many many guys driving cars with Holden badges and have very happy faces.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Raydar on Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:15 pm

The best thing about them all is, they burn you images to DVD, Less space on your desk :wink:

Cheers
Raydar

Postby Onyx on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:11 am

My DVD-ROM drive is about dead. I was looking for a DVD burner to replace, and compliment a CDRW. This thread has just added to my confusion. ;)
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 am

Onyx wrote:My DVD-ROM drive is about dead. I was looking for a DVD burner to replace, and compliment a CDRW. This thread has just added to my confusion. ;)

I'm able to help you out Onyx! you done me favors and now it's my time, email me what brand do you want, and you'll pick it up next Saturday at the meet.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Flyer on Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:25 pm

I'll second Pioneer DVR-108 .
There are other drives that are faster, but Pioneer quality shines.
Very good error correction, great with different brands of DVD's & CD's, quiet.
From practical point of view I think you can't go wrong with any of the top brands, but I would still pick Pioneer from the current crop.
My 2 cents worth... :D
Flyer

Return to Equipment Reviews