Neat Image v5.0

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Neat Image v5.0

Postby mudder on Sat May 28, 2005 6:30 pm

G'day all,
Never really used any Noise Reduction software since getting the D70 as I've never really noticed ANY noise before, but recently have started using higher ISO values on dull days to keep the shutter times fast to get sharp pics (plus after using the D70 for a while I'm probably getting fussier these days). Raising the ISO above 400 I started to notice noise in shadow areas when the image is blown up to (say) a4 or magazine size...

After playing with the Neat Image demo (free download from their web-site) I ended up buying it so I can run it on 16bit images and within selections within PS... Within selection you can protect detailed areas etc. feathered selections means so sudden changes etc.

NR can interfere with details, but running it within PS selections how and where you like is pretty cool... I bought the Pro+ for 16bit and PS plug-in.

Here I've just used the (fairly aggressive) defaults (until I learn more about how to drive it) and just thought I'd post in case others are interested in NR stuff.

Plus it seems good at getting that plastic skin look if that's what you're after, maybe smoothing skin when used on a seperate layer and play with either opacity or erasing etc. ;)

Cheers
Pre NI and Post NI on a full scale crop at ISO 400.
ImageImage PS. It's the nose of a Mandrill in case you were wondering ;)
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sat May 28, 2005 6:42 pm

Nice work!

I didn't know that neatimage could work within PS..
How much is it?
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby mudder on Sat May 28, 2005 6:49 pm

PlatinumWeaver wrote:Nice work!

I didn't know that neatimage could work within PS..
How much is it?

G'day mate :)

The pro+ (which works on 16 bit and as PS and PSCS2 plug-in) was $US75, which worked out at about $AUD100. You can work on colour noise or B&W noise only, adjust the way it treats high freq noise (small size) differently to low noise (large size) stuff, preview the effects via Y, Cr, Cb channels etc. It's pretty cool...

If you work with jpeg (8bit) and work on entire images which means you dont need the PS plug-in (for selctions etc.) the basic one starts at $US29.

Their web-site has a handy forum and looks like terrific support
http://www.neatimage.com/

Cheers.
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby kipper on Sat May 28, 2005 6:50 pm

I was using NN2 up until a person on Naturescapes.net recommened Neat Image. It's much better than NN2 and the use of selection areas to apply the PS filter to actually works in Neat Image. NN2 when I tried to use a selection area it created color artifacts in the image.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby mudder on Sat May 28, 2005 6:58 pm

I must admit, the ability to control it within selections, using all the selction methods of feathering etc sold me... Plus it can be used to smooth skin in a separate layer and play with it to get want you want...

If you're just after treating an entire JPEG, it's basically free I think.

So far so good... Mainly wanted it to recover high ISO shots...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby kipper on Sat May 28, 2005 7:29 pm

You can use it to recover also those slightly incorrectly exposed low ISO shots. Btw Mudder, NN2 plugin for CS2 has selection masks but they don't work. I was trying to use them and they just created horrible artifacts (must be a bug).
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Tue May 31, 2005 11:57 am

Hi Andrew,

Neat Image is a great tool. Very useful for portraits as it create creamy smooth skin and savaging otherise a noisy pic. However, for tact sharp pictures, it is still best to use low ISO e.g. 200 and tripod.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Return to Equipment Reviews