New Model PSD PD70X

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New Model PSD PD70X

Postby Andyt on Tue May 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Hi! All,

Spotted this and thought I would share, new model claims:

CompactDrive PD70X, the new version of Compact Drive. Like the previous portable storage by Compact Drive ( PD7X ) but this new version, The Compact Drive 70X with 66x Ultra High Speed offers transfer speeds of 9.5 MB/s up to 6 MB/s and longer battery lifespan. The Compact Drive PD70X take less than 2 minutes transfering 1GB CF card to PD70X

The Compact Drive portable storage PD70X can also back up more than 50Gb of photos on a single battery charge.

https://www.jaldigital.com.au//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_100&products_id=347&osCsid=06e4cf562fc950409e22a871ebfd73ae&

Mmmm, perhaps the latest "accessory" for the D2x :?: :D

I have the (now superceded) PD7x, its O'K, but now use a notebook, I do not trust these units anymore after having lost 3 x cards worth of pics due to inadequate battery charge.

With the notebook I can review at download before formatting the CF card.

Regards, Andyt :lol:
Andyt

Re: New Model PSD PD70X

Postby tsanglabs on Tue May 17, 2005 11:19 pm

Andyt wrote:Hi! All,

I have the (now superceded) PD7x, its O'K, but now use a notebook, I do not trust these units anymore after having lost 3 x cards worth of pics due to inadequate battery charge.

I will be getting a PSD soon for a holiday and this is the one thing that worries me about them. Is this a problem only with the PD7X?
tsanglabs

Postby Andyt on Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi! tsanglabs,

This is the only PSD I have used, to be fair my problem occured after a 24 hr flight with the unit in my luggage. I left with a full battery charge (4x AA's) my first three cards downloaded without error message being shown so assumed all was well. Discovered on the fourth card/download that it needed charging. The unit seems power hungry, however, before using it again I will buy and install the "Varta" brand of batteries as I have heard good reports about them.

Another reason I recommend a notebook inlieu of these units is that while away you can review your days pics and see how you are shooting, and mentally make adjustments for the next day, (as well as checking email :D )

I am not against these units, but don't trust them after my experience.

For the price, you could buy 2-3 x 2Gb CF cards, and have them copied to disc while away...... just a thought :lol:

Regards, Andyt
Andyt

Postby Onyx on Wed May 18, 2005 2:19 am

Andy, you had my hopes up... this is just an announcement, not availability for purchase! :( I had previously followed the PSD thread(s) in this forum and was on the search for this PD70X in my shopping expeditions here in HK. The main attraction for me was being powered by AA cells instead of proprietary Li-Ion.

I've always lugged around my 2.5kg+ notebook in my travels, and was looking for a lighter weight alternative. Howeever, your post of your experiences past seems to have be thinking that maybe I shouldn't fix what's not broken - and that I should continue to put up with the weight penalty for all the extra capabilities a notebook provides while away from home. A further downside is, the 40Gb or whatever is shared between other apps and software and not reserved strictly for images on a notebook. ;)
Onyx

Postby Andyt on Wed May 18, 2005 2:35 am

Hi! Onyx,

Yes, I agree with what you said. One of the reasons I purchased this unit was bacause of the AA batteries, however from experience if you do not use a fresh set of recharged batteries, performance is poor. My best results are obtained by charging the batteries on a dedicated fast charger as the in unit charger is slow and I believe not capable of giving a full charge. (I returned my unit for a check, and was told it was O'K) So, when away I take the fast charger with me and 2 x sets (8) AA batteries.

After considering my "investment" in camera gear and the effort / learning to produce good pics, I concluded that to risk loosing your pics, well, I may as well go and buy a disposable and save the $'s and time. (not an option)

So its a backpack, laptop case and "sam" the suitcase as a minimum when I travel. :D

For reasons mentioned in my previous posts, if you do consider a PSD, look hard at the ones with a reasonable screen to enable pic review while away.

Regards, Andyt
Andyt

Postby Andyt on Wed May 18, 2005 2:38 am

.........sorry, should have also said that heavy duty disposable batteries do not work, they do not have the "Oomph!" or whatever. So, you are stuck with high capacity rechargeables.
Andyt

Postby dooda on Wed May 18, 2005 5:07 am

Have you looked into the Epson P2000. That beauty is on my list. Much more expensive, but cheaper than a lappie, and good lord is that screen beautiful!
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 18, 2005 6:21 am

Andyt wrote:

:lol:

Your dream to use it with the D2x. :wink: won't work that way, download 4Gb card and run out of juice in the middle, while the Epson P-2000 can be completed to download 2 x 4Gb card.

I don't use any other PSD any more, my Epson P-2000 flies
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby tsanglabs on Wed May 18, 2005 2:11 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Andyt wrote:

:lol:

Your dream to use it with the D2x. :wink: won't work that way, download 4Gb card and run out of juice in the middle, while the Epson P-2000 can be completed to download 2 x 4Gb card.

I don't use any other PSD any more, my Epson P-2000 flies

You sure know how to get us all jealous birddog.

I think I will get more memory cards and take my laptop with me. I would just hate losing any of my photos.
tsanglabs

Postby Frankenstein on Wed May 18, 2005 10:45 pm

here's the website that details the new PD70x:

http://www.eastgear.com/compactdrive/index.php

Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby rjlhughes on Thu May 19, 2005 12:48 am

The other advantage of a separate drive is to keep my photos in one place. Does everyone else notice how fast they fill up a 40 gig drive?

And tonight Picassa was being silly and filled 5 gigs with temp files.....

am I getting older or is memory a problem for other people, too.

Incidentally I want a PD70x, and really really wish it's reliable!

B
rjlhughes

Postby benkho on Fri May 20, 2005 2:00 am

Andyt wrote:Hi! tsanglabs,

This is the only PSD I have used, to be fair my problem occured after a 24 hr flight with the unit in my luggage. I left with a full battery charge (4x AA's) my first three cards downloaded without error message being shown so assumed all was well. Discovered on the fourth card/download that it needed charging. The unit seems power hungry, however, before using it again I will buy and install the "Varta" brand of batteries as I have heard good reports about them.

Another reason I recommend a notebook inlieu of these units is that while away you can review your days pics and see how you are shooting, and mentally make adjustments for the next day, (as well as checking email :D )

I am not against these units, but don't trust them after my experience.

For the price, you could buy 2-3 x 2Gb CF cards, and have them copied to disc while away...... just a thought :lol:

Regards, Andyt

See this link http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=13231799

So based what you said, the P2000 can be considered bad product as well due to missing images while transferring.

But as we know P2000 is one of the finest units in the market right one. Is that right Birddog?

Ben
benkho

Postby birddog114 on Fri May 20, 2005 7:12 am

benkho

So based what you said, the P2000 can be considered bad product as well due to missing images while transferring.

benkho,
I tried and used my D70/ 70s/ D100/ D2h/ D2x with variation of JPEG, NEF files in size, with the Epson P-2000 but did not find any single problem, lost file, or lost data.

The only thing I dream on it is: with built-in Wifi a/b/g, perhaps will happen in the near future.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Fri May 20, 2005 11:46 am

Ben, I would guess the microdrive rather than the P2000 to be the problem. Microdrives need more power and are the cause of many a problem. Nikon don't recommmend them for firmware upgrades. Stick to solid state CF.
Glen

Postby benkho on Sat May 21, 2005 2:20 am

Agree with you Glen. I think it's because the MD needs more power to spin the internal drive.
I suspect the MD itself instead of the unit.

Thanks Guys
benkho

Postby birddog114 on Sat May 21, 2005 6:59 am

I don't have a MD but let a friend tried his MD on the P-2000, if it's small file then no problem, big files or use longer download then there's an issue.
Issues here are the MDs with hungry sucking power from the battery of P-2000, especially when the P-2000 drained its battery down to 50%.

Hey, who's in the world still using the MD with the DSLR? they should go into the bin by now. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby rjlhughes on Sat May 21, 2005 9:25 pm

I wrote and asked about the PDX70.....and this is the reply from the Singapore distributor:

"It should be available around 1st June 2005.

None of our PD7X users have lost data on their devices. These devices are using
the same HDD as those in the notebooks/laptops, even if the batteries are
totally flat, the data is still retained in the HDD.

Thanks and regards,

Daniel Chin

EastGear Pte Ltd"

regards,

Bob
rjlhughes

Postby Frankenstein on Tue May 24, 2005 9:16 pm

First prices I've seen for the PD70X...

http://www.igadget.com.au/catalog/media-portable-storage-compact-drive-pd70x-c-25_88.html

Naturally more expensive than the previous model - will be interesting to see the first reviews.

Frank
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby lkgrainger on Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 pm

I've had my PD7X 60gb for about 7 months not a problem in site. I liked it so much I'm ordering the new and improved model just to have two.
I got mine at jaldigital.
lkgrainger

Postby Frankenstein on Tue May 24, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info Leigh. And the prices at Jaldigital are cheaper than at my other link.

Frank
Frankenstein

Postby joolz on Wed May 25, 2005 12:41 am

I've ordered one from JALDigital to replace my no longer functioning XDrive II. I will write a quick review when I get mine.

Joolz
joolz

Postby shutterbug on Wed May 25, 2005 12:58 am

Will be looking at getting the xdrive VP3320, just released

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/
shutterbug

Postby BBJ on Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 pm

Well i am thinking about getting 1 of these, but there is so many different ones and well yeh screen to preveiw would be good i guess but well maybe not. P2000 would be ok but yeh as birdy said not here yet and well bit more than what i want to pay for but yes would be good to dump my cards on at the track instead of coming home if i happen to fill them.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Return to Equipment Reviews