Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED Review

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED Review

Postby jdear on Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:32 pm

I found the following information over at http://www.kenrockwell.com.

Thought it might be helpful for people thinking of buying the d70 with 18-70mm kit.

One of the guys at a local camerahouse i was talking to said the lens was pretty much rubbish. This article speaks otherwise...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1870.htm is where the article is. Ken rockwell is not endorsed by any company, and his views are his own from personal experience in the field and studio.

hope this helps someone, helped me.

JD PS: camerahouse young salesmen dont know a fig about stuff!
jdear

Out of curiosity...

Postby Geoff on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:45 pm

which Camerstore were u in?
Geoff

Re: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED Review

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:55 pm

jdear wrote:One of the guys at a local camerahouse i was talking to said the lens was pretty much rubbish.

One needs to keep in mind that, frequently, these people never get to use this gear. I'm frequently very critical of salespeople because of their extreme lack of relevant knowledge. Professional they ain't!

I recently overheard a so-called salesperson in a central Sydney store (no, I won't mention that it was Ted's) telling a prospect that there was little difference between the D70 and the 300D. Clearly, he'd not spent a lot of time using both; I doubt he'd spent much time using either.

PS: camerahouse young salesmen dont know a fig about stuff!

Not just camerahouse so-called salespeople.

My best advice is to wander around a few camera stores and meet and talk with the people who work there. Acquaint yourself with them and find one with whom you feel not just comfortable, but with whom you can discuss some of the more technical aspects of photgraphy with.

Unless and until you can develop that sort of relationship with an enthusiast salesperson (not to be confudes with an enthusiastic salesperson) you'll be constantly disappointed with the level of sales bullshit - er, advice - you're going to be fed.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Onyx on Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:01 pm

We have our very own Ken Rockwell here - Mr Stark. :)

"no, I won't mention that it was Ted's" LOL, your fortrightness is refreshing Gary. :lol:
Onyx

Return to Equipment Reviews