More pixel peeping: 20D vs D70

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

More pixel peeping: 20D vs D70

Postby Onyx on Tue May 10, 2005 7:07 pm

Another pointless exercise, comparing apples to oranges. :)

These two cameras are very different beasts when it comes to handling and ergonomics. I have always held the D70's feature set in higher esteem than those that say it's the DRebel XT slayer.

The D70 when introduced, was better than the D100 in every way except for the lack of mirror lock up and vertical grip option (ie. superior exposure metering, superior flash metering, fastershooting speed, more advance buffer system, etc). The D100 was released to compete with the Canon D60 at the time, which has evolved to be the 10D and now 20D. Hence I've always thought of the D70 as going against the 20D instead of the D-crippled.

The build quality and mass was surprisingly similar. Where is the supposedly superior magnesium alloy body?? The Canon had just as much plastic as the D70. The whole back panel is plastic, the CF door comprising of half the grip is plastic, in fact the whole rubberised hand grip felt like plastic underneath. The pop up flash and the "Canon" logo and top prism area is plastic.

Here's the field of view from kit lenses at the wide end. All camera settings set to defaults. Shot in finest quality JPG in camera as no raw converter would do both justice equally.

Canon 20D

Nikon D70

Despite the urban myth of Canon's CMOS and Digic Processor (all just a bunch of marketing spiel IMHO) having better high ISO noise characteristics than the D70 - I found it to be simply BS. The two produces VERY similar results, with similar noise levels - no perceivable differences unless you're pixel peeping.

Here's a closeup of the above image, showing colour noise in the shadows, at ISO 800:

Canon 20D

Nikon D70

There were inherent differences in the way each rendered skin tones on auto settings. Although I'm sure overriding Auto WB and tweaking could match one to the other. The following images may offend

Canon 20D

Nikon D70

Also differences in default metering. Nikons have been reputed to underexpose in order to preserve highlights, I found this to be the case. The following images of a white Snoopy - all details preserved on the D70 (w/normal tone curve), while the Canon 20D blows the white ever so slightly (probably recoverable if shot in .CR2)

Canon 20D

Nikon D70
Onyx

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue May 10, 2005 7:12 pm

Huh.
Interesting... so if you like details in your red objects, go the Canon sensor, otherwise, if you don't mind some red saturation and details in your whites, go the Nikon (Sony) sensor.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby birddog114 on Tue May 10, 2005 7:29 pm

Onyx,
Are U going to showing off your hairy leg? :lol: 8)
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby big pix on Tue May 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Can we do a right leg and left leg for comparison......... and with and without sock
It is good to show comparisons but once you have system in place it is rather expensive to change unless there is a great advantage. For what I now do and what I see on various forums, the different camera systems come down to personal choice.
Do not take this out of context but I am very happy with the quality I am getting from my D70 and the canon users that I know are quite happy with Canon, and there would have to be a very big advantage to change from one to another due to the cost involved.
But I do like the comparison.........

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 10, 2005 9:06 pm

I have a real problem with this. The Canon leg is much better than the D70 leg. Legs were going to be my next purchase. What do I do now :lol: :lol:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Tue May 10, 2005 9:07 pm

LOL - I had intended a hand shot (not that my hands are any better looking), but the distance was too close to focus for the 18-70. The Canon's 18-55 focuses to 0.28m, closer than the 0.38m of the 18-70DX.

It does seem like the Nikon has more reds by default, and the Canon has less overall saturation.

Frankly, I was surprised by the similarities given all the fanatic discussions over how Nikon's Sony sensors are inherently noisy and how Canon's CMOS are "creamy smooth". Total misconceptions IMO.

The differences between the two were more pronounced in ergonomic aspects. eg -

On the 20D, menu navigation required rotating the big dial on the back, not up/down button even though the options scroll vertically. However, it's counter intuitive for me as clockwise rotation scrolls up.

Shooting dials: the Digital Vari-program of the D70 clicks much more precisely and feels more sturdy. The 20D's shooting mode dial has a distinctively tacky-plastic, low cost feel to it that I wouldn't have picked it as the more expensive camera. The pop up flash of the 20D is electronic controlled, with a motorised winder motor; while the D70 is fully mechanic spring loaded latch.

Also, button placements on the 20D in no way resembles any of the 1 series bodies. About the only thing in common is the style of the viewfinder surround (horseshoe shaped rubber thing).

Functionally, the D70 works far better as a photographer's tool. I am adament this is not merely a familiarity issue. The Canon requires many more button presses and user initiated steps to change settings. eg. deleting an image requires a double tap of the garbage can button on the D70, on the 20D it requires hitting the recessed delete button, scrolling (the 'wrong' direction) to the "Yes" option in menu and hitting the "Set" button to confirm delete.

Changing shooting ISO and other image settings, viewing and navigating the menus, etc. were all equally tedious on the Canon. The only significant difference in favour of the Canon was the higher resolution preview LCD.
Onyx

Postby big pix on Tue May 10, 2005 9:09 pm

just get the socks and save up for the legs, are you getting 2 left or 2 right.....as they are on special as a pair......

bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Return to Equipment Reviews