Epson R1800

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Epson R1800

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:06 pm

Just made my first print this new acquisition.

:)

This is a big beastiewith the paper path for the A3 size (smaller side on A3 paper) taking up maybe just 65% of the total width of the unit. It's about a foot deep, and not much less tall. Fully as wide as the box it's packed in!

Setup was easy. Remove all of the packing, plug it into a power source and turn it on. Load the ink cartridges (8 of 'em) and press the button to charge the ink head.

Over to the PC to load the drivers; by the time the charging was complete it was time to connect the printer to the PC (USB or Firewire) and then let the accessory software packages install themselves.

At this point I loaded NV, grabbed a photo and loaded some A4 Ilford paper into the printer. I checked the printer setup in NV, setting it to highest quality for this test, and then pressed the print button.

Given that I'm just using some default settings with an image that's had no PP applied, the print looks bloody good.

Still got a long way to go with this printer, but first impressions are very impressive.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby timbo on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:12 pm

Glad to hear you've got good results out of the box already. Please keep us posted with your opinion on how it works with different profiles - and thanks very much for the lift to the mini-meet today!

Tim
timbo

Postby boxerboy on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:13 pm

I want one :cry:
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby johndec on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:14 pm

So far so good :D Looking forward to Chapter 2,3,4,5.....47 of this ongoing review :lol:
johndec

Postby gstark on Mon May 02, 2005 6:14 pm

Still impressed.

Printed my first A3 this morning, on Canon paper (it was all we could get) and I remain impressed with the quality of the print, the speed at which it prints, and how quiet this is.

We also did a water test on a small print yesterday, and it did very well; no smudging or running when the print was placed under a cold running tap.

Extended abuse under a hot running tap induce some damage, but who does that to their prints? Certainly, this looks like it'll withstand being carried through the odd rain shower.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon May 02, 2005 6:29 pm

Prints you can shower with? Very impressive :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Glen wrote:Prints you can shower with? Very impressive :wink:

So, is that the proof for the photo to be lasted 100 years? So we don't need " The Last Emperor" :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon May 02, 2005 6:33 pm

100 years but how many showers, Birddy? One a day?
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 02, 2005 6:36 pm

Glen wrote:100 years but how many showers, Birddy? One a day?

Two: one morning and one afternoon shower and extra "Spa" time with GF :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon May 02, 2005 6:37 pm

Glad I have already paid for mine, could be a rush now to get the extra spa time with GF :wink:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Glen wrote:Glad I have already paid for mine, could be a rush now to get the extra spa time with GF :wink:

Good ideas isn't it? and that can be our excuses if we get caught red hand :oops: :shock: :lol:
Last edited by birddog114 on Mon May 02, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon May 02, 2005 6:48 pm

That will be my excuse, just testing the waterfastness :oops: :lol: :lol:
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Mon May 02, 2005 6:58 pm

Glen wrote:That will be my excuse, just testing the waterfastness :oops: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Mon May 02, 2005 7:02 pm

I would say categorically that anyone, and I mean anyone, who takes a shower with their prints is in line for certification 8) 8) 8) 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby MATT on Mon May 02, 2005 7:50 pm

You can love your prints!

Just don't LOOOOVVVEEEE....... your prints.

maybe a few shots of gilfreind in spa! For testing purposes of Course.

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Mon May 02, 2005 8:01 pm

Glen wrote:Glad I have already paid for mine, could be a rush now to get the extra spa time with GF :wink:

Was that your printer he gave me? I was wondering what Birdy meant when he said it was already paid for.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon May 02, 2005 8:02 pm

No freebies here :!:
Glen

Postby Glen on Wed May 11, 2005 1:46 am

My wife has been sick for a week so gave me time to work and play with this fantastic printer. Just got mine plugged in, as Gary said it is a big beast, had to reorganise my office, then printed away. Well this printer really blew me away. With little to no set up on my behalf, I grabbed an image and printed. The result was beautiful, matched my freshly calibrated monitor (thanks Chris) and really is indistinguishable from a photo lab product. This was on A3 Kodak Premium Pro, which the D70 has no problem printing up to. Personally I would say if you want a quality printer with long lasting output which prints to A3, just do it, especially at Birddogs prices.

Will explore different paper types, printing options, etc, but really, out of the box this printer is excellent.
Glen

Postby fozzie on Wed May 11, 2005 7:55 am

Glen,

Glad to see that you are :D with your purchase.

One day I will have to get myself one.

I wonder if Virgin Blue would allow me to bring home after Anniversay Weekend as hand luggage :lol: .
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 11, 2005 8:03 am

Yes you can, taking it apart and pack in your luggage! :lol:
You may take it with you, depend on what attitude of the check-in clerk of that day and how do you treat he/ she at the terminal.
Alternatively, shipping by courier to Adelaide is just $33.00
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gstark on Wed May 11, 2005 8:12 am

Glen wrote:My wife has been sick for a week so gave me time to work and play with this fantastic printer. Just got mine plugged in, as Gary said it is a big beast, had to reorganise my office, then printed away. Well this printer really blew me away. With little to no set up on my behalf, I grabbed an image and printed. The result was beautiful, matched my freshly calibrated monitor (thanks Chris) and really is indistinguishable from a photo lab product. This was on A3 Kodak Premium Pro, which the D70 has no problem printing up to. Personally I would say if you want a quality printer with long lasting output which prints to A3, just do it, especially at Birddogs prices.

Will explore different paper types, printing options, etc, but really, out of the box this printer is excellent.

Glen,

I'm blown away by the quality of the A3+ sized prints on Ilford Pearl paper.

Fan-bloody-mazing!
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed May 11, 2005 11:24 am

I will try some Illford Pearl, Gary Thanks
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Wed May 11, 2005 11:33 am

Glen wrote:I will try some Illford Pearl, Gary Thanks

:lol: :lol:
Glen, paperoll tissue is not working :shock: please don't try! and it's void of warranty :lol:
Last edited by birddog114 on Wed May 11, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Wed May 11, 2005 11:39 am

Birddog114 wrote:

Glen, paperoll tissue is not work :shock: please don't try! and it's void of warranty :lol:

even if it is new and unused? :lol: :lol:
Glen

Postby gstark on Wed May 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Glen wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

Glen, paperoll tissue is not work :shock: please don't try! and it's void of warranty :lol:

even if it is new and unused? :lol: :lol:

Talk about scraping the bottom ....
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby petermmc on Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Glen,

I have just purchased this printer. What are your latest thoughts on the kinds of paper to use? It's too wet in Wollongong this arvo to go out and buy anything but I will be out in the morning after some paper. Also, how is the ink usage going? How many prints can you expect from a full set of inks?

Regs

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:18 pm

Hi everyone.

I had an R800 for a weekend - one problem was the amount of ICC profiles.

It worked fine when printing from an image with no PP, but struggled with fine tuned pics with curves etc. Didn't have it for long enough to find an ICC that suited.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby big pix on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:26 pm

Heath Bennett wrote:Hi everyone.

I had an R800 for a weekend - one problem was the amount of ICC profiles.

It worked fine when printing from an image with no PP, but struggled with fine tuned pics with curves etc. Didn't have it for long enough to find an ICC that suited.

Thats when Eye one photo comes in handy....... as you can profile the screen and printer......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Glen on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 pm

Peter, I have been very happy with the Ilford pearl which Gary recommended, but do what I did, am sure Marsdens will sell by the sheet, try a few and stick to your favourite. Marsdens also bring in a german? paper from memory, I have never tried as I can get a good range 1km from home.

On ink I have printed probably 15 A3+ prints plus just did 100 A5 prints and still haven't used up the first set so I am happy
Glen

Postby petermmc on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:13 pm

Thanks Glen. When it stops raining, I'll get it out of the boot.

regs

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Glen on Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:15 pm

Peter, I know what you mean, same sort of rain here :wink: Not the weather to be buying paper
Glen

Postby petermmc on Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:16 pm

Glen

I just got it out of the box and have plugged it all in. Did you get a manual with your one or just the A2 folded page?

Peter
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:23 pm

Peter,

As Glen said, I'm finding that the Ilford Pearl paper is just the tops; the Epson Lustre seems to be very similar.

I recently did a very large run of 6 x 4s, and used up my stock of Epson and Ilford baby paper, running onto some Fuji for the last couple of prints. The Epson and Ilford were both up to par, but I was surprised at the lack of quality that the Fuji prints exhibited. Admittedly, there was no profiling or anything done on these; they were just snaps from Lindy's daughter's 21st, but the Fujis almost looked muddy in comparison.

I expect that with tuning I could get the Fuji to look better, but why should I, when the Ilford looks superb right out of the box!

Ink usage ... I've replaced gloss black, blue and red (IIRC), yellow is up next (before the weekend) and I need to get some more gloss black because that is back to a half tank already.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:24 pm

Peter,

I think the manual will be on your CD.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:38 pm

Peter, Gary is right, piece of paper and everything elso on CD
Glen

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:42 pm

gstark wrote:Peter,

As Glen said, I'm finding that the Ilford Pearl paper is just the tops; the Epson Lustre seems to be very similar.

I recently did a very large run of 6 x 4s, and used up my stock of Epson and Ilford baby paper, running onto some Fuji for the last couple of prints. The Epson and Ilford were both up to par, but I was surprised at the lack of quality that the Fuji prints exhibited. Admittedly, there was no profiling or anything done on these; they were just snaps from Lindy's daughter's 21st, but the Fujis almost looked muddy in comparison.

I expect that with tuning I could get the Fuji to look better, but why should I, when the Ilford looks superb right out of the box!

Ink usage ... I've replaced gloss black, blue and red (IIRC), yellow is up next (before the weekend) and I need to get some more gloss black because that is back to a half tank already.

Gary - would be VERY keen to see the 6x4' prints with the baby epson and ilford paper!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby petermmc on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:06 pm

Glen

I did go to Masdens (your spelling Marsdens was a little different and the penny just dropped that you were referring to the shop in the gong...its only been three days and I do come from Wollongong what more excuses do I need). As usual, I was talked into buying something German ie Tetenal Paper which I will be experimenting on as soon as I load my inks.

Gary's and your comments have been very helpful. I will be more assertive next time and insist on Ilford. I teach assertiveness but am often too timid to use it....

Meanwhile I'll give the German paper a whirl.

Side track 1: There's a great German word on the back which is German for Water Resistant "wasserresistent" ...in fact the more I look at the back there is a whole photographic lesson there in German. I just know this is going to side track me again from doing any printing.

Side track 2: The German word for 'Driver Setttings Inside' has 27 letters in the one word...and that's only driver settings. There is much more to this paper than mere printing.

Regards

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:09 pm

Geoff wrote:Gary - would be VERY keen to see the 6x4' prints with the baby epson and ilford paper!

Geoff,

They're all with Zoe now; the best I can offer is to show you some of the A3/A3+ stuff we've done. Do you remember my moon shot from that night? It's on Ilford Pearl, and looks, to my eye, to be equal in quality to the super-large LeighLo studio shot that Sycamore #1 did last year.

And I wonder why I'm running out of black ink ... :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:39 pm

gstark wrote:
Geoff wrote:Gary - would be VERY keen to see the 6x4' prints with the baby epson and ilford paper!

Geoff,

They're all with Zoe now; the best I can offer is to show you some of the A3/A3+ stuff we've done. Do you remember my moon shot from that night? It's on Ilford Pearl, and looks, to my eye, to be equal in quality to the super-large LeighLo studio shot that Sycamore #1 did last year.

And I wonder why I'm running out of black ink ... :)

So..I need to win the current challenge (5) and sell the D70s, and buy the epson R1800!?!? :) 8)
Geoff
Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Geoff
Just about right!
Or buy the Epson R1800 and tell Bel: "Santa arrives early" :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:57 pm

Geoff, just tell Bel it was 7th prize :wink:
Glen

help with German

Postby christiand on Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Peter, or anyone else,

If you need help with the German language let me know.
I vill help you wiz zat ok ?

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Geoff on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Geoff
Just about right!
Or buy the Epson R1800 and tell Bel: "Santa arrives early" :lol:

If only..I think Mrs Santa would be most unhappy if 'santa' spent that much even early! As for 7th prize...hehehe!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:50 pm

Geoff, just talk Bel into buying a new dress and shoes for about $1200 then go for it - it’s called equality :lol: 8)
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Geoff on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:05 am

Funny you mention that Chris - I saw a beautiful dress I wanted to buy for myself only yesterday, then I looked at the price...$1645!!!! :?
Geoff
Geoff

Postby big pix on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:10 am

Lens and equipment lust..........and women.......both are expensive.....

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:20 am

Geoff wrote:Funny you mention that Chris - I saw a beautiful dress I wanted to buy for myself only yesterday, then I looked at the price...$1645!!!! :?

Geoff - take it from a person who has been there and done that, they always feel better when you GIVE them the OK to buy - little do they realise that it also gives you the OK to buy :roll: :wink:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:19 am

Geoff wrote:Funny you mention that Chris - I saw a beautiful dress I wanted to buy for her myself only yesterday, then I looked at the price...$1645!!!! :?

Goeff,
If you buy that dress for her then you can have an Epson R1800 + a flashy 17-55DX in the box returning from Bel. :wink: I know Bel won't let you sufferring and she earned a degree on those. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Wocka on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:11 pm

Gary,

Can this printer do long panoramic prints, Eg longer than A3?
Is this a software or hardware issue when wanting to print long images?

I know some of the lower spec Epson printers used to have a paper roll attachement.
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Nnnnsic on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:14 pm

It can do Super A3, which is a half step between A2 and A3, as well as roll prints, as it comes with a roll attachment.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Next

Return to Equipment Reviews