Some impression of the D2H and the state of the art

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Some impression of the D2H and the state of the art

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Birddog was gracious in lending me his D2h for a week and I have now used the camera in a number of situations where I feel I can make some comments in regards to its general performance. I certainly won't parrot the kudos that others have heaped upon it but it is a supurb photographic tool. The digital revolution has reached a level of maturity where, for most purposes, film is no longer a viable option. It is no longer an option because the sophistication of professional digital cameras does the job better and produces a higher quality image. This sophistication encompasses not only the camera, but also the flashguns, lenses, batteries and printing tools.
On Anzac day I used the camera to capture the parade in the CBD and I recorded 240 RAW image files over a 3 hour period. I used fill flash for every shot. I did not have to replace the batteries in either the camera or the flash. The auto-focus worked reliably and rapidly as did the matrix metering. I did not have to stop and replace over 7 rolls of 36 exp film. I altered the ISO as I saw fit in order to maintain shutter speed and I was able to monitor the exposure via the histogram and the composition and sharpness using the image review as I worked. This maintained my confidence as I worked. The camera fits the hand like a glove with all controls and menus exactly where they should be. The camera is heavier than the D70 but in operation it is not distracting or noticeable.
When I downloaded the images and examined them only 3 or 4 were unusable due to technical faults. This is an amazing hit rate of nearly 100% The 4 MP images look a little more fragile than those from a D70 but they held up well as long as I didn't crop in too deep. I suspected that the image quality would not hold up printing at A3 so I printed off a few and the quality stunned me. If I mixed them in with prints from the D70 then only an experianced eye would detect the lower pixel count. You could frame them and sell them as fine art because they give almost nothing away in colour, resolution or image impact. The camera is so responsive that it almost becomes an extension of the eye. The interaction is seamless. If the cameras keep improving at this rate then the next few years are going to be the golden years of photographic technology. And lastly...the camera is so well constructed and designed that I would rather hold it then a Leica.
Comments welcome. PS I won't cry when I give it back because I don't have to own everything I love.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Matt, thanks for sharing your thoughts, think you are placing a D2X in my dreams :wink:
Glen

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 pm

Glen
You have room for a D2h and a women in your dreams? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Glen on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:33 pm

I am going to try alternating nights :wink:

The comment which got me is you would prefer to hold this than a Leica. To be honest, a recommendation from someone of your skills and experience carries a lot of weight with me. Thanks
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:10 pm

Matt

Thanks for that well reasoned critique (I think :cry: ) I now want a D2x and only have to convince myself - good job I'm lacking in major funds at the moment :shock:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:59 am

MattK, if you ever get the chance to repeat the experience with the D2X, you will come to realise that Nikon has addressed the all identified shortcomings of the D2H.

Multiple exposures in camera for example are an amazing feature to have. And once Canon's next gen 1 series incorporate this feature, people will hail Canon as having revolutionised digital photography with it. Likewise the ergonomics (I need three hands to change ISO values on a 1D-2), even nomenclature - mode 1/mode 2 IS anyone know what that is? Compared to active/normal VR you have more chance of guessing which to use if you didn't RTFM.
Onyx

Postby pippin88 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:00 am

Multiple exposures in camera?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby dooda on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:50 am

Yeah,

One day you will probably find me cuddling with a D2X, screaming at everyone to stop looking at "my precious", one day.
Me looks up wistfully.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby birddog114 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:30 am

pippin88 wrote:Multiple exposures in camera?

Yes, it's :wink: Creatively funs!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:38 am

pippin88 wrote:Multiple exposures in camera?

Nick,

Most of my film Nikons have this, but it's something that, till now, has been absent from digicams. It can be very useful in the creative process.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:46 am

Yeah, that feature in a digi will create really cool photos. With the ability to capture them both and view it afterwards, perfecting it will be much easier, as I never quite arrived at doing it just right on my film camera.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 am

dooda wrote:Yeah, that feature in a digi will create really cool photos. With the ability to capture them both and view it afterwards, perfecting it will be much easier, as I never quite arrived at doing it just right on my film camera.

Dave,

For this technique, gridlines are your friend.

So, too, is a matte box. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:13 pm

Onyx
Why the hell would I want multiple exposure on my digital camera?
If I want to fiddle with images I would just overlay in Photoshop?
I would much prefer a built in intervelometer.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Matt, does that mean you don't dream about wireless transmission by your camera :wink:
Glen

Postby Matt. K on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 pm

Glen
I'll settle for anything that makes my pictures better. Wireless transmission is not going to do that for me.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Return to Equipment Reviews